Hacking BootMii with NAND backup still best choice?

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a SD card that has only my NAND backup on it from about 6-8 months ago. I did this with BootMii. I'm still on 4.2U atm and just wondered if this is still the best viable option for the foreseeable future in-case I screw something up... which I know I won't do.
tongue.gif

Also another question, how often do you 'update' this NAND backup or is once enough?

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kadin said:
Also another question, how often do you 'update' this NAND backup or is once enough?
think of it like this: how often do you backup your pc? if it were to fail tomorrow, would you be ok with a backup from 6-8 months ago, or would you prefer something a little more recent?

Kadin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OncleJulien said:
Kadin said:
think of it like this: how often do you backup your pc? if it were to fail tomorrow, would you be ok with a backup from 6-8 months ago, or would you prefer something a little more recent?
Well that's the exact reason I asked. I assumed the backup was simply of basic core files that never really change. I think I need a little more understanding of what exactly the NAND backs up. But as you say, I backup my computer on a weekly basis simply because so much changes, so often...

changeling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A NAND backup also contains all your save game info. So if something goes wrong and you have to restore your backup from 6-8 months ago you lose any and all gameplay progress saved since that point.

Also you can copy your nand backup to your PC so it's not taking up space on your sd card if you want.

Kadin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
changeling said:
A NAND backup also contains all your save game info. So if something goes wrong and you have to restore your backup from 6-8 months ago you lose any and all gameplay progress saved since that point.

Also you can copy your nand backup to your PC so it's not taking up space on your sd card if you want.
Ok well there ya go... I definitely need to do it every so often. I don't see it being an issue but since I wasn't fully aware of what it did to begin with, maybe I need to do more research. Which I'm normally pretty good about doing. Ah well, thx for the info!

Kadin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last thing... I just updated to the latest version of Bootmii and now it's coming up each and every time I turn on the Wii. It's set as boot2. Before it didn't do this, did I do something wrong or is there a way to change this boot sequence?

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kadin said:
One last thing... I just updated to the latest version of Bootmii and now it's coming up each and every time I turn on the Wii. It's set as boot2. Before it didn't do this, did I do something wrong or is there a way to change this boot sequence?
remove the sd card, or rename the bootmii directory on it.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
You should probably update your NAND backup once every few months, or after you do a softmod update, but other than that BootMii at boot2 is the de facto #1 choice for brick prevention.

Kadin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OncleJulien said:
Kadin said:
remove the sd card, or rename the bootmii directory on it.
Thanks to everyone, this site continues to rock with very knowledgeable people!

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Open the ini file in the /bootmii directory and set autoboot to SM (or SYSMENU, I don't remember, there should be a comment telling you what the options are) and the delay to 0. Then you don't have to rename/delete anything. That's what the ini is for
tongue.gif
You could also set the delay to 2-5 seconds to have it pop up in case you need it, then continue booting if you don't press anything, but then again if you ever do need it you can just change that in the ini at that point.

youngrex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kadin said:
all you have to do it push reset and it will go to system menu so you dont have to use a gc contoller

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
yeah BootMii rocks
smile.gif

I have a Nand Backup on 3.2E, JPN and USA, same goes for 4.3E, JPN and USA

makes me "more flexible"
biggrin.gif

Kadin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
youngrex said:
Kadin said:
all you have to do it push reset and it will go to system menu so you dont have to use a gc contoller
Yeah I'm just one of the 'truly' lazy and never start up my Wii by the system itself. It's kind of tucked away so I'd prefer to simply use the remote as I normally did. I just renamed the directory as mentioned above and if I ever need it to but, it's a simple enough fix.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: That's what I like to see B-) +2