BOOTMii vs PRELOADER

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by littlecubba, Jul 17, 2009.

Jul 17, 2009

BOOTMii vs PRELOADER by littlecubba at 3:15 PM (1,735 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. littlecubba
    OP

Newcomer littlecubba Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    still learning all things IOS...
    but i'm not sure about PRELOADER or BOOTMii...

can both be set to run side by side, or which is better...?
    read up on PRELOADER (which still scares me) and understood that i have to use a different hack.ini for system menu ver.4.0
    what about BOOTMii... can this be installed safely on system menu ver.4.0 (dumb question!)

what are the benefits of each...?

----

another question...
    i've been having rather alot of problems over the past months with my backup discs...
    rather alot of the games will not run green screen... games were NTSC, but Trucha'd, regionfrii and then "video mode changer" using Wankikoko tool ver.1.0 to PAL

*running pal system menu ver.4.0
    **all latest trucha bug enabled IOS's installed

2. FireFreek

Member FireFreek GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Preloader pretty much attaches itself to the systemmenu enabling you to load it before the systemmenu starts. It's useful because incase of a brick or something, you can use preloader to go to the homebrew channel for a fix or something. Also, you can use hacks such as region free discs and etc. That's what i've heard.

Bootmii loads up before the system menu and it's used mostly for NAND backups, which just copies the memory onto an SD card, that way if you brick, you can use Bootmii to restore everything the way it was when you created a backup.

There might be a way to use both, but i don't know how.

3. Adr990

Member Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Netherlands
    XP

To install them both.
    Run both the installers.. [​IMG]

Anyways,
    BootMii is best Brick Protection
    Preloader haves the most hacks and options for your Wii start up and shut down and Wii System menu. And Autoboot Dols, etc...

So... just install them both.
    You can prevent Preloader from showing up all the time by change it in the settings. (Hacks and stuff will still work.) To show it again, hold Reset at Powering on of your Wii.

You may need to patch IOS36... (In case You let Nintendo update it. [​IMG] )

4. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    To add on a bit more, bootmii also allows coders full access to all of the Wii hardware directly, where as before they had to go through starlet. What does that mean? Well, once all of the libraries are developed it will mean better and faster homebrew. Not by huge leaps, it will also mean that a completely custom system menu can be created and not just modifying the current one. There is a lot of opportunity there, but it's still very early and not much has been done with it yet.

5. littlecubba
    OP

Newcomer littlecubba Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    cheers for your help....

another question...
    i've already got "STARTPATCH" installed... aren't they the same options as Preloaders (ie... region free etc)?

which is better... STARTPATCH or PRELOADER...???

6. Painguy

Member Painguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I believe starpatch is older. use preloader with bootmii. it has many useful hacks. the most useful of them being skip disc update.

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Startpatch is pretty much preloader without the brick protection. If you already have bootmii installed as boot2 (not as an IOS) and you have startpatch for your hacks, then basically the only thing preloader can do more for you is autoboot .dols or run the system menu off of a different IOS or something.

As far as brick protection is concerned, Bootmii installed to boot2 with a NAND backup = 100% brick protection provided everything in it works with your SD card. Preloader = brick protection from anything not REALLY stupid like uninstalling the system menu IOS or something.

8. brenosabino

Newcomer brenosabino Member

Brazil
    I installed the 4.1 update with the waniokos updater and after that the prelader has been removed.
    So i installed bootmii with the hackmii installer but it said it could only be installed as an IOS, i think the last time i used the hackmii installed to install the homebrew channel update it said it could install in the boot2 too. Could that have been caused by the 4.1 update or it is my Wii's problem? Can I install preloader again now? If so can i have them both installed? (preloader in the boot and hackmii as an ios)

Thanks!

9. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    preloader doesn't install to boot2 or boot1 or anything like that, it just replaces the system menu and moves the system menu somewhere else. I don't think updating would have caused a boot2 installation to not work and you probably misread earlier and couldn't install to boot2 at that earlier time as well. If by some chance you didn't well then you should have hopped on that shit ASAP when you had the chance.

I think all you need to install preloader is a vulnerable IOS36 and yes they can both be installed together. The IOS bootmii doesn't provide any brick protection in itself as it can only be loaded through the HBC (which you wouldn't be able to get to if you were bricked) so just install preloader and if it says it can't then use the Trucha Bug Restorer to properly install a vulnerable IOS36 and then do it again.