drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

So, when I upgraded my Homebrew Channel a few weeks ago, they had this option to install BootMii. I thought, why not... it should let me use the GameCube controller to boot the disc again like Starfall on 3.2 did.

So I did the one about installing it as an IOS I think (the first option, anyway), but I noticed it didn't DO anything. My friend was telling me that BootMii wasn't completely finished, that all it did was brick protection.

Well anyway, all it did for me was make it take a good 20 seconds for the health and safety menu to pop up. It's seriously pissing me off, as I can't start it any faster... short of just taking the SD card out. But when I do that and re-insert it, all my games tell me the SD card can't be used and I have top pop it out and in a few times.
I even renamed that bootmii folder on my card to BootMii_OLD so that it thinks I deleted the files.

So does anybody know if I can remove the thing, or just fix it so it boots up right away without that stupid delay?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lexip, how would I find out?

It was basically as soon as the HBC update came out. Whichever beta was bundled with it.

HiBit, I never even get a BootMii screen. My TV is *black* for a good 20 seconds. Is that a bug?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it installed as an IOS? Did you HAVE the option to install to boot2? If you installed as an IOS it shouldn't affect anything at startup at all as it can only be loaded from the HBC. If you did a boot2 install (which is the useful one) and it doesn't properly load on boot then it's an sd card incompatibility problem most likely and using a different card would fix it. I would suggest finding an SD card that works with it and using it to make a NAND backup of your Wii and then using that config editor to have it autoboot to the system menu (or the HBC if you want) and set bootdelay to 0 if you don't want to see the menu at all.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.

I may have installed it to boot2 then. I did one or the other, not both... all I know is it lags my startup.

I'm currently using a Transcend 4GB SD (NOT HC) - as I've had that since 3.2 and whatnot. Are those known to cause problems? I need more than 2GB, but I'm always hesitant to switch to SDHC in case I need to downgrade again, or some old homebrew is non-SDHC compliant.

Can you just remove bootmii entirely? Or is that not possible ATM? What I don't get is: I removed its booting files, so why wouldn't it think the SD card isn't there? If I physically remove the SD card it boots normally, but with it in, even without the files, it takes a good 20 seconds to show up.

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
...using that config editor to have it autoboot to the system menu (or the HBC if you want) and set bootdelay to 0 if you don't want to see the menu at all.

If you set the boot delay to 0 how to you get it to load bootmii? What button do you need to press/hold to get it to load into bootmii?

Also, in his case, it takes a long time to load because bootmii isn't compatible with his SD card. If it can't read the SD card, then it can't read the config file on the SD card to know to autoboot to the system menu after 0 seconds.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL, well if I wanted to keep using the same SD card... could I configure it to just go away and die, then use my old card?

Or what?

Also, when it goes to the system menu... does it show the Health and Safety warning or bypass it? I don't want my Wii looking obviously hacked...

k3vin369

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the same problem with my SD card and it took me a while to figure out why this was happening, but I eventually found out.

The problem is that BootMii beta2 lost some compatibility compared to beta1; and I'm assuming you're using BootMii beta2. You also stated you have a 4GB Transcend SD, not SDHC. I looked up a compatibility list for BootMii and here is the list of compatible cards for each version of BootMii: BootMii SD Compatible Cards

So, the best way to fix your problem, is to install BootMii beta1, instead of beta2. It took me a while to find beta1, because I cannot find it on BootMii's website anymore, I had to find it from a third party on google. Sorry, I can't find any links to beta1, you will have to search that yourself.

Good luck.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the difference between beta1 and beta2?

Also, with the whole NAND backup thing... you can't *restore* your NAND, can you? Because it seems kinda useless one-way...

Mainly, I just wanted the ability to boot from the DVD slot if you press a certain button on the first GCN controller, so I could take a game like Brawl which we play with GCN controllers anyway, without needing to worry about carrying around a sensor bar/Wiimote.

--EDIT--

It shows the Transcend 4GB not working on either beta. How would beta1 be better?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course you can restore your NAND. That's one of the primary points of the thing. You should do some more research about what BootMii does since you seem somewhat lost.

And since it seems like the problem is with your card, the solution is to get one that's compatible with it. Then your woes should be gone.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also bootmii has nothing to do with autobooting discs. At the moment it is basically just the best brick protection you can get. It boots before anything else will and can backup your NAND and restore it to exactly how it was when you made that backup if you brick from anything.

You can also uninstall it by running the same installer used to install it, but since you can't have it autorun that through the HBC anymore you have to run the hackmii installer as a normal HBC app after getting the boot.elf for it from the bootmii.org site.

However, as having pretty much 100% brick protection is a good thing, the better option would be to use an SD card that works with it for your general Wii purposes.

Nada

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
drfsupercenter said:
What I don't get is: I removed its booting files, so why wouldn't it think the SD card isn't there? If I physically remove the SD card it boots normally, but with it in, even without the files, it takes a good 20 seconds to show up.

What you don't understand is, that bootmii installs to your boot2 nand - it is _on your wii_, not on your SD Card and what it is doing is trying to access your SD Card for those 20 seconds (probably) so it can show its special bootmenu (called mini). Since I don't personally have it installed yet, that's all I can really tell you. Just configure it so it boots right to system menu.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see.

For now I'll just remove it, until I have time to buy another SD card. I was also having problems with Preloader - probably the same reason!

Darn you, Transcend... those 4GB cards own for non-SDHC compliance, but obviously fail for stuff like hacking..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"