Hacking BootMii questions

djricekcn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried searching these forums for a good 30 minutes or so but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for (and search didn't really bring up the threads I wanted to read) and I'm sure this has been asked before so sorry in advance for what is most likely a duplicated question.

Well, I have heard of BootMii for a while but today is the first day that I read that I should install it. I found the BootMii website and read their FAQ and READ ME on the download but still have some questions.

First thing I'm confused to is
QUOTE said:
BootMii is a piece of software that can be installed as an IOS or inserted into the boot process. As an IOS, it provides a fast way to back up your Wii's internal NAND flash memory, and will eventually form the basis of a new generation of homebrew applications for the Wii. Inserted into the boot process, BootMii provides you with a "safety net" -- you can back up your entire Wii to SD in under three minutes! If you were to brick your Wii, BootMii would still run and let you restore your backup from SD, quickly and painlessly. BootMii also allows you to directly boot the Homebrew channel or other homebrew from SD, bypassing the "warning screen" and the rest of the menu.
They both sound like they do exactly the same thing...is it? If I'm understanding the READ ME file correctly (quote not in above), it sounds like I should install it as a boot process, that way I can boot from that if my Wii ever crashes...which I won't be able to do if it's over via HBC.

Second thing: The download comes with an .elf file and no .dol. I have never used .elf, but I assume it works the same as a .dol? In other words, when I install I need to have the .elf in \apps\(folder)\xxxx.elf ?

Third thing: Approximately, how much space "max" will it use on the SD Card for the backup? Also, if there is ever a case where my Wii crashes, how do I restore the back up? What do I need to backup or does it do all the work for you and how? This question is probably easily answered once I install this myself, but I would like to know how to use this thing before I put this on my Wii and to see if it's necessary.

thanks in advance and once again sorry for asking a question that's most likely asked many times in the past.

k3vin369

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) You have two options to install bootmii as : IOS, or boot2. Installing it as IOS will not give you the option to boot instantly when turning Wii on. Installing it as boot2 will have it load instantly during Wii boot. So in other words, installing it as boot2 is the better option, incase you brick your Wii. If it is installed as an IOS, you can't use it as brick protection because it will not load before the system menu does.

2) Yes it works the same as a .dol as far as I know. Just place it in a folder inside the apps folder, with the name 'boot.elf'.

3) The BootMii folder itself will only take up about.. 3MB Max. This is just an estimate, I can't remember correctly, but I'm sure it's less than 10MB. If you backup your NAND (Which is used for brick protection), the NAND itself will take up about 522MB. It is a pretty big file. Everytime you backup your NAND, it will replace the old one, so basically, the max your whole BootMii could take up, is approximately 550MB max.

I really recommend that you install it, because it saved my Wii about 5 times LOL.

djricekcn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k3vin369 said:
1) You have two options to install bootmii as : IOS, or boot2. Installing it as IOS will not give you the option to boot instantly when turning Wii on. Installing it as boot2 will have it load instantly during Wii boot. So in other words, installing it as boot2 is the better option, incase you brick your Wii. If it is installed as an IOS, you can't use it as brick protection because it will not load before the system menu does.

2) Yes it works the same as a .dol as far as I know. Just place it in a folder inside the apps folder, with the name 'boot.elf'.

3) The BootMii folder itself will only take up about.. 3MB Max. This is just an estimate, I can't remember correctly, but I'm sure it's less than 10MB. If you backup your NAND (Which is used for brick protection), the NAND itself will take up about 522MB. It is a pretty big file. Everytime you backup your NAND, it will replace the old one, so basically, the max your whole BootMii could take up, is approximately 550MB max.

I really recommend that you install it, because it saved my Wii about 5 times LOL.

thank you so much, will get right on it

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I have bootmii installed as an ios and preloader installed and I brick my wii, but can still boot into preloader, can I then load bootmii through homebrew channel and do a nand restore. Or does this only work with bootmii as boot2.

SherlockHolmeboy

Trophies
Website
homebrefreeware.co.cc
XP
Country
Servdogg said:
If I have bootmii installed as an ios and preloader installed and I brick my wii, but can still boot into preloader, can I then load bootmii through homebrew channel and do a nand restore. Or does this only work with bootmii as boot2.

I see no reason why that shouldn't work, unless something happens to HBC or BootMii IOS. I can't be too certain though, I'm not willing to do something stupid in order to test it out. Besides, I don't have a Gamecube controller.
tongue.gif
So yeah, correct me if I'm wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HoTuan @ HoTuan: how to mod switch ?