Bootmii Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by desh_thiere, May 17, 2009.

May 17, 2009

Bootmii Question by desh_thiere at 12:33 AM (1,332 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. desh_thiere
    OP

Member desh_thiere GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hey guys, so I installed Bootmii on my friends wii before I softmodded it so I could backup his NAND in case something went awry. Anyway, the bootmii install went well, but as we only had one SD card handy I had to backup his NAND flash on the bootmii card, thus formatting it and erasing the bootmii install off the card to make way for his NAND backup. Anyway, my questions is this. If he does ever need to recover his NAND flash how will I get the bootmii files back on the SD card? I know this sounds stupid (and it is) but as bootmii installs on the wii and then copies files to the SD card, how do I get it to copy those files again? Can I just install bootmii on another wii and then use the files on that SD card? Or could someone copy the files of their sd card and then send them to me and I could use those? I feel like a bit of an idiot asking this, and stuffing it up in the first place [​IMG]

Thanks for any help someone can provide.

2. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Bootmii will format the card and immediately after that, it will copy back the \bootmii\ file structure
    and after that, the nand copying will begin

3. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    When BootMii formats your SD it creates a temporary backup of the "bootmii"-Folder and copies ist back after formating.

So the SD will include the nand.bin file and a folder named bootmii with the needed files in.

4. desh_thiere
    OP

Member desh_thiere GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    So even though I used the same card to format and backup his NAND, it still has the bootmii files on it?

Thanks, this is very helpful.

5. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    yes, the bootmii files will still be there. The developers have really designed it quite well.

6. TheOtherMii

Newcomer TheOtherMii Advanced Member

United States
    Tried asking in the noob thread... no answer so maybe this is a better place:

So I have Bootmii installed, and I've backed up my system to a dedicated SD card. So really my only question is this....
    Can I now totally mess with my system and no matter what happens, I can restore to the exact state it was in when I backed it up?

I don't have preloader installed right now. I'm going to do it to get the advantage of some of the hacks. So if I just restore from my SD card, this will wipe preloader out and put me back where I was? Same thing for channels, IOS's, cIOS's, custom system menu's? Can I try out CIOSCORP and if I don't like it, just revert to my old system? What about a format? Will it recover from that?

If so this is great. Let's us try out some of the more risky things, without it being permanent, or involving a PITA uninstall process.

7. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yes, your wii will be set to how it was right before you made the backup.