PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Short answer yes. Long answer depends on system and versions of software you want to install.

Of course Bootmii on boot2 can only be installed on a pre-LU64+ WII. Can still be installed on Lu64+ as an IOS

And you need to do special steps to get preloader on a LU64 WII. Someone figured it out recently and it might require Preloader version .29 . Do search on that...

After you have all your settings set...and do a nand back up thru bootmii....

For ease of operation make sure you set preloader to boot to system menu (its in the options) and you can also set bootmii to boot to system menu automatically too. Just edit the .ini file for bootmii and it will tell you how. And if you set bootdelay=0 then there will be no delay and your WII will boot up without displaying the bootmii menu. Otherwise the menu will always show and wait for you to press the reset button to start up.

In fact I've heard with LU64+ Wii if you install Preloader+bootmii as IOS you actually have pretty good brick protection.
You can boot into preloader and use it to load the homebrew channel which you can get to bootmii from. When you get to bootmii you can restore your nand backup. SO make one!

PBC

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Golfman560 said:
PBC said:
Of course Bootmii on boot2 can only be installed on a pre-LU64+ WII.
Seriously? I have a LU60... Wii and installing as Boot2 doesn't work.

Thats strange. I've been told that LU64 serial number is where the boot2 fix came into effect. You must be unlucky or special in some way. Can't tell you why, I'm not super-technical on the WII front. Might want to navigate to hackmii.com and the Team Twiizers guys might be able to help you.

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify, I have a LU58 wii and cannot install bootmii as boot2. I'm curious if anyone else has an earlier wii that doesn't support a boot2 install.

Tony2Fingers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have bootmii installed on boot2

I have no idea what wii model i have, how do you check

I was going to install preloader, but i have 3.3, and you need 3.2/4.0 (afaik) and i dont feel like downgrading to 3.2, since everything is working on 3.3

EDIT: I got my wii at launch, so i have whatever the earliest model was

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
boot1 version (and therefore ability to install bootmii to boot2) is not determined by serial number. n00bs think it is but it isnt. there is no "if you have {serial number} you can/cant install boot2". Older wii's can, newer ones cant. the only foolproof way to check is hackmii installer.

sl33p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After exhaustive research consisting of 15 seconds of reading the bootmii FAQ (at surprisingly enough bootmii.org) I have your answer:

QUOTE said:
But "Preloader" is the same thing as BootMii, and I could install it just fine!

No, it's not. The two programs achieve similar goals in completely different ways (which is why you can install both at the same time). We hope that someday, someone will use BootMii/IOS to make a bulletproof recovery system for late-model Wiis, but we won't be upset if someone else gets to that before we do; we will be concentrating on the code that will make that possible.

http://bootmii.org/faq/

PBC

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
boot1 version (and therefore ability to install bootmii to boot2) is not determined by serial number. n00bs think it is but it isnt. there is no "if you have {serial number} you can/cant install boot2". Older wii's can, newer ones cant. the only foolproof way to check is hackmii installer.

Good point. Checking with the hackmii installer is pretty much the only foolproof way of knowing what boot1 you have and your ability to install boot2.

But it helps to have a general guideline which in most cases is true. A+B=C Can't help but draw an inference.

Later model number=new boot1. in most cases...but I stand corrected, there are exceptions I'm sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.