Bootmii killed my Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Col70, Aug 14, 2009.

Aug 14, 2009

Bootmii killed my Wii by Col70 at 10:58 AM (4,429 Views / 0 Likes) 39 replies

1. Col70
    OP

Member Col70 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok the situation was as follows:
    My Wii was a 3.2e with preloader, Bootmii as IOS, rev14, cIOScorp 3.2
    I upgraded cIOScorp to 3.3 and it didn't have the desired effect and would only take a few iso's etc
    Because of this I thought I would use Bootmii to go back to its previos state.
    Started bootmii using the nand backup it did a nand backup simulation. (By the way its difficult to get it started using A,B,X,Y as it kept going "back")
    It finished the sim fine. Then it followed up with the nand install. Halway through the install it came us with an error saying 'Bad secot' and froze completely.
    That was the end of the Wii. Green LED/black screen, no preloader, no 'Y' boot - nothing.

What is a bad sector?
    Why did it freeze?
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    If I had it at Boot2 (not that it could be installed) would it have made a difference?
    Is there a way wind back from 4.1e with trucha, cioscorp v2, rev 14 to have Bootmii as Boot2 instead of IOS (I know the console can have it and have a Boot2 nand backup that I made right before I started softmodding)?

2. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States

Having BootMii installed as IOS is not that bad but when stuff like this happens... OMG. Sorry man. At least you could send it to Big N and they will repair it.

3. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    it would of yes.

And that's a odd message, maybe ask on irc #bootmii on EFNet BUT then again, you installed cIOSCORP which lets face it is unnecessary, and no wonder your'e wii is borked, sorry. You should of just done a Nintendo Update. cIOS's on all IOS's is just lame. :/

4. Swizler

Member Swizler GBAtemp Regular

United States
    again CISOCORP kills

5. retiredjerk

Member retiredjerk GBAtemp Regular

ouch man that sucks..i guess its true when they say installing a nand backup when bootmi is installed as an ios is pretty dangerous..ship it back to nintendo.

6. dogeggs

Newcomer dogeggs Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    cioscorp didnt kill his wii - bootmii did.

7. piratesmack

Member piratesmack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Restoring your NAND with bootmii installed as an IOS is dangerous. You should have listened to the warning it gave you

8. G0dLiKe

United States
    Referring to his post he had bad sectors on his Wii. Maybe his Nand restore failed due to the bad secotrs?

I did a Nand restore with BootMii IOS, have no bad sectors on my Wii and it worked smooth and easy.

Bad sectors failing BootMii Nand restore?

9. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    It's user's fault / misleading info everywhere. BootMii IOS is not there to restore the nand. If something bad happens in that process(like it did here), the wii is fully bricked. That's why even TT says to NOT use the restore function in BootMii IOS.

With BootMii boot2 the same could have happend, but a Wii with BootMii as boot2 is far from bricked, if whatever happens to the nand(except the 7 blocks at the beginning).

You should be able to fix the Wii with a hardware nand programmer, but don't ask me about details.

10. G0dLiKe

United States
    WiiPower is right, the infos spread out everywhere are very misleading some times.

Hopefully there will be some method to install BootMii as Boot2 on newer Wiis soon.

11. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This ^^

And you should really only be doing NAND restores w/ BootMii at boot2.

12. WiiPower

Germany
    Some people only heard that BootMii is brick prevention and then they thought that BootMii IOS is brick prevention too, which is totally wrong.

And there won't be BootMii as boot2 on newer Wiis until somebody stole the private key from nintendo.

13. G0dLiKe

United States
    You dont know somebody who works at Nintendo^^ Just joking...

Nah, we´ll see... some time will need to pass and possibly somebody will find a solution.

14. WiiPower

Germany
    I doubt somebody will find a solution, it's discussed many times already. There are 3 "solutions":
    1. Find a bug that allows to use a trucha or not signed boot2, it has to be inside inside boot0, boot1 and/or boot2. The problem is these consist of very few code and many skilled people looked for a bug in it already.
    2. Brute force the private key. See you in 100000000000000000 years.
    3. Somebody steals the private key. I don't know where such a key is stored, i could even imagine that it's encrypted inside some server and nobody has the permission to read it.

15. G0dLiKe

United States
    Well, reading WiiPowers post makes me a bit sad...

but hey, anybody with a piece of mind and a little knowledge of what he is doing with the Wii and the ability to read read me and onscreen instructions should be far away of any bricking problems.

16. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    cioscorp did absolutely nothing to cause this, in closing stfu uranus you know nothing.

17. piratesmack

United States
  18. Col70
    OP

Member Col70 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Im also convinced that it was nothing to do with cIOScorp. It was clearly Bootmii.

Correct me if I'm being stupid - but what is the point of Bootmii as an IOS if it's not for nand restore?

Put it this way - until I did the nand restore, it was ok?

19. piratesmack

United States
    Bootmii isn't just brick protection.
    Bootmii also allows you to run homebrew without IOS, so we can do things our own way instead of Nintendo's way.

That's the best I can explain it, I'm sure someone else can explain it better.
    Read this:
    http://bootmii.org/about/

20. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    bootmii lets you run the homebrew channel which in turn can help you unbrick a wii.