Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been away from the Wii hacking scene for quite a long time. Decided to start fresh by doing a system update to 4.3, then formatting the system memory, then rehacking via LetterBomb (which is neat), and used ModMii to download everything needed.

One thing that has me confused, though, is that BootMii IOS doesn't load automatically when there is an SD card inserted that has the files on it. If I am not mistaken, didn't it used to? all the files ARE there in \root\bootmii, and if I pick "BootMii" from the HBC menu, it does load up just fine. The instant I press the power button, it does flash once, though I don't remember if that is the Wii's standard slot flash or if that is the BootMii IOS single flash. PriiLoader also can autoboot to it, but I could swear that the way it used to be is that if the SD card had the files prepared, it would boot straight to BootMii... bringing me to the question, that if I were to brick my Wii, for example if I were to corrupt/delete the system menu, and thus didn't have access to priiloader, how would I get to BootMii to re-flash my nand? (I'm not an idiot though. Like I said, I stepped away from the scene for a while, but I knew full well what I was doing back then. Same rules still apply, so this is just a hypothetical situation.)

Thanks,
~Plas

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You have bootmii as IOS, not as boot2. You can't restore your NAND safely without an infectus. You can pay someone who owns one to do it though, just don't lose that nand backup.

I don't know why you thought it was a good idea to format your Wii and update, but it's too late now.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
When you use the hackmii installer to install bootmii, it will tell you if your wii is capable of having bootmii as boot2.

If you are still working with the same wii (that used to have bootmii as boot2), than either it got erased during the update process, or you have an sdhc card that gives problems with bootmii as boot2.
My 2Gig SD card used to work fine.
My 8 gig sdhc sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
It's like it is accessed to fast and isn't ready at the moment boot2 tries to use it. This might explain the flash at boot time.

As JoostinOnline already explained, you need bootmii as boot 2 working to be able to restore a nand easily without the use of an infectus chip.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Or in other words, if you get some minor hiccup while using BootMii IOS to restore the nand, then your Wii is bricked. (unless you have BootMii boot2 installed as well...)

Just check the hackmii installer if it allows to (re)install BootMii boot2, that should clear most questions, as already mentioned.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Or in other words, if you get some minor hiccup while using BootMii IOS to restore the nand, then your Wii is bricked. (unless you have BootMii boot2 installed as well...)

Just check the hackmii installer if it allows to (re)install BootMii boot2, that should clear most questions, as already mentioned.
Plus if you can access bootmii as IOS, you should be able to fix your Wii through other means.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said, it's been a while since I messed with Wii stuff so my terms are a bit rusty. Forgive me if I misuse some terms. But my Wii does not nor has it ever had a vulnerable boot1, so I have always only been able to install bootmii as an IOS. I do understand that reflashing via bootmii @ IOS isn't a good idea, which is why I don't plan to ever have to do it. I don't mess with themes, I know not to delete the SM or SM IOS, and any kind of banner brick or mail brick that I get can be fixed due to me having bootmii IOS and priiloader.

My only concern, aside from anything else, is why bootmii does not autoload even when there is a bootmii-prepared SD card (its not even sdhc) inserted.

Actually, now that I just thought about it, would having a GC card in slotA and an SD Gecko in slotB have anything to do with that?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd, I could have sworn it used to; granted, very likely I am mistaken because it was over two years ago when I originally softmodded the Wii.

So then in the case that someone were to delete the SM while only having Bootmii IOS, how would they get into bootmii at that point? Since the SM is gone, priiloader would be as well, and maintenance mode shouldnt work at that point. I guess you could do SaveMiiFree, right? But at that point, since bootmii IOS can't autoload, I can't quite see the point in it aside from S/UNEEK and NAND backup.

Just curious.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As long as the SM ios is still ok and the priiloader app is still on the nand, you can start bootmii from within priiloader.
I have no experience (luckily) with booting priiloader in case of SM ios problems, and I am trying to keep it that way.

You can decrease the risc of a brick by using uneek or sneek. Those don't touch the original nand anymore.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
plasma dragon007 said:
So then in the case that someone were to delete the SM while only having Bootmii IOS, how would they get into bootmii at that point? Since the SM is gone, priiloader would be as well, and maintenance mode shouldnt work at that point. I guess you could do SaveMiiFree, right? But at that point, since bootmii IOS can't autoload, I can't quite see the point in it aside from S/UNEEK and NAND backup.
They would be bricked. Bootmii IOS isn't brick protection.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
plasma dragon007 said:
Not alone, but the NAND backup you make with it definitely is.

PS: I'm not saying you didn't know that, I'm just emphasizing how important a NAND backup is.

lulwut

Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
tueidj said:
plasma dragon007 said:

PS: I'm not saying you didn't know that, I'm just emphasizing how important a NAND backup is.
nand backup is nothing
the keys is something else

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
lulwut said:
JoostinOnline said:
tueidj said:
plasma dragon007 said:

nand backup is nothing
the keys is something else
It's important if you want to get your saves/channels back. However, I didn't say nand.bin (although that also gets you the keys). I said the backup, which gets you the keys. There are other methods of course, but a NAND backup allows restores.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1