Hacking Bootmii - IOS. Can it help ?

1ronlung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hopeing someone can clarify the following for me. I have done reading first, but I'm not as clued up on the scene as you guys...

I have Bootmii installed as an IOS. Wii is too new to have as boot2.
I've made a backup of my NAND onto SD card.

Now, the impression I'm getting is that it's a pointless exercise. As an IOS it won't recover from a full brick, or even a banner brick or bad wad.
Is there any circumstance where it would be useful ?

And, yes, I do have other measures in place to prevent a game backup update from another region
smile.gif

Thanks,
ironlung

bp2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well you could install preloader than run homebrew channel though that and open bootmii and restore the nand

1ronlung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 3.3E

Am I correct in saying in order to install preloader, I either have to upgrade to 4.0 or downgrade to 3.2 ?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it actually doesn't let you do that. Like it says too dangerous to proceed or something. So I think at the moment the only real useful use of it would be using cboot2 with it, but even that isn't even needed anymore due to the Trucha Bug Restorer.

So yea I guess there really isn't much use for it yet...

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
bp2000 said:
well you could install preloader than run homebrew channel though that and open bootmii and restore the nand

No you couldn't unfortunately. It has been confirmed on the Bootmii forums that it's too dangerous.

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
If you only have Bootmii as an IOS how do you back up your nand? There's a bug for systems that can only run Bootmii as an IOS cannot scroll through the menu with the Wii front buttons...

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jackdanielchan said:
If you only have Bootmii as an IOS how do you back up your nand? There's a bug for systems that can only run Bootmii as an IOS cannot scroll through the menu with the Wii front buttons...

You'll need a Gamecube controller.

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jackdanielchan said:

GC Controller

Jeomite

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WalkerOfTheDay said:
jackdanielchan said:

The followup question would be - why would you backup your NAND when you can't restore it (when BootMii is used as an IOS)?

Using the NAND backup on a different Wii system? I believe I read the NAND backup is "serialized" for that specific Wii only somewhere...

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jeomite said:
WalkerOfTheDay said:
jackdanielchan said:

The followup question would be - why would you backup your NAND when you can't restore it (when BootMii is used as an IOS)?

Using the NAND backup on a different Wii system? I believe I read the NAND backup is "serialized" for that specific Wii only somewhere...

Well maybe future versions will allow IOS restores through preloader or a new program written by Team TweezerÂ.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jeomite said:

You can restore it with bootmii as an IOS, but it's very dangerous and not recommended.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
piratesmack said:
Jeomite said:

You can restore it with bootmii as an IOS, but it's very dangerous and not recommended.

Oh yeah ? And how would you be doing it ? Preloader method doesn't work. Confirmed by TT.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WalkerOfTheDay said:
piratesmack said:
Jeomite said:

Oh yeah ? And how would you be doing it ? Preloader method doesn't work. Confirmed by TT.

I admit I've never actually tried it myself, but BootMii does allow you to restore your NAND when installed as an IOS.
It just gives you a warning message and makes you press some weird button combination to continue.

It is extremely dangerous, though, since you have no way of saving yourself if the NAND.bin is corrupted or the power goes out while restoring.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate. Do you have any documentation about this ?

AFAIK the only way to restore from IOS is using an external Nand programmer like Infectus.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WalkerOfTheDay said:
I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate. Do you have any documentation about this ?

AFAIK the only way to restore from IOS is using an external Nand programmer like Infectus.

From the readme:

QUOTE said:
* BootMii/IOS: This mode will install BootMii into your NAND filesystem as an IOS (IOS254).
It behaves identically to BootMii/boot2, but you must launch it from a special
program (the Installer, Homebrew Channel, or your own code.)

Pros: Universal compatibility with all Wiis. Allows booting arbitrary code
on ARM / PPC. Supports speedy backup of NAND to SD. Very safe to install.

Cons: Easily deletable or overwritten by a system update. NAND restore is
technically possible, but not safe because you cannot boot to BootMii/IOS
in case the contents of your NAND flash are corrupted.

Also, I just tried to restore with BootMii installed as IOS and this is the warning message:
Checking boot2...
BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD card is corrupt
or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it.
If you are SURE you want to do this, press A+B+X+Y
Otherwise, press any key to exit.

As I said before, I've never actually restored my NAND with BootMii installed as an IOS.
So I have no idea if it would work, all I know is BootMii will allow you to do it if you press A+B+X+Y on the GC controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night