GamingMedley

OP
Trophies
Website
gamingmedley.com
XP
Country
United States
I just upgraded to the latest HBC, and the installer is asking about BootMii. It's giving the options for installing as boot2 and/or as IOS. What's the difference? I checked bootmii.org, but it says nothing about which to install as.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Boot2= can only be installed on Wii's from before mid-2008ish and provides ultimate brick protection by installing to a point that loads before the system menu entirely.

IOS- can install on any Wii basically just to have the same options of the bootmii menu in running any applications made for it in the future and such. Installs to IOS254 instead of boot2 and as such can only be loaded through the hbc so it doesn't provide any brick protection.

You can install both so you can access the menu on startup and from the hbc, but boot2 is the important one.

GamingMedley

OP
Trophies
Website
gamingmedley.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm capable of installing the boot2 one, but it's not very detailed on what happens at start up. Will I lose access to the official Nintendo System Menu? Does it require an SD card to load at start up (the video on Wiibrew would load HBC only when the SD card was inserted)?

EDIT:
I see where it says I need an SD card. Will it erase what's currently on my SD card?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You won't lose anything, it will just boot at startup if you have an sd card with the bootmii folder with the necessary files still on the sd card, you can also change the config.ini in that folder to make it autoboot to either the system menu or the homebrew channel after however many seconds you want.

Just do a boot2 install, use a GC controller to navigate it (or power button to go right and reset button to select from the console itself.) Use it to make a nand backup on a card that has at least like 540 MBish free space on it. Then if you don't want it to load all the time either just rename the bootmii folder on the card to something else or edit the config.ini to say AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU with no # sign in front of it and BOOTDELAY=0 to directly boot or like 2 or something to have it boot after 2 seconds of no other input. You could also change SYSMENNU to HBC if you want it to autoboot to the hbc.

Edit: No it won't erase whats on your card. Only thing that will is if you're using the beta 1 version and do a nand backup. beta 2 which should be the only one posted there now anyways will just write the nand.bin over any existing nand.bin on the card without formatting or deleting anything on the card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.