Certified Crash Test Dummy
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'll start off by saying sorry if this doesn't make any sense, it's just something that occurred to me a moment ago. Most likely it is at least one of the following:
  1. Nonsense
  2. Impractical
  3. Impossible
Despite that, my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I want to know more, so here it is:

Could the code from BootMii as IOS somehow be implemented into the System Menu IOS (maybe replace or modify the kernel?), so that it loads bootmii first, then continues on if not interrupted by BootMii? If that was possible, it seems like new Wii's could load Bootmii even if the SM was uninstalled. It wouldn't be as good as bootmii as boot2, but it would be better than Priiloader/Preloader.

e74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but would bootmii as ios boot if you patched ios 254 and installed it to slot 80(for 4.3)? And then have an app that temporaraly patches the Wii to load the System Menu with IOS 81 like priiloader can do? IDK if that would work, but it seems like it would. Not sure how much it would help either. It's just a thought.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
If you are referring to using bootmii as IOS for the SM IOS (so installing 254 into the slot that the SM uses), I'm pretty sure that would just lead to an infinite loop if you wanted to autoboot the System Menu. I'm talking about combining the two so it's like a cIOS. Or am I misunderstanding you?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you are referring to using bootmii as IOS for the SM IOS (so installing 254 into the slot that the SM uses), I'm pretty sure that would just lead to an infinite loop if you wanted to autoboot the System Menu. I'm talking about combining the two so it's like a cIOS. Or am I misunderstanding you?

You could install BootMii/IOS as SM IOS, install SM IOS to another slot, write a MINI app to load SM with a different IOS (e.g. install ISO60 to ISO160 then load SM with IOS160). This would give a little more protection than regular BootMii/IOS I think, but it would still not work if SM is uninstalled because boot2 reads the IOS to load from SM TMD, which would be gone in SM was uninstalled.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You could install BootMii/IOS as SM IOS, install SM IOS to another slot, write a MINI app to load SM with a different IOS (e.g. install ISO60 to ISO160 then load SM with IOS160).
But what if you were able to modify the source to bootmii? It seems like then you could have it act like Priiloader does, where it will continue the normal boot process if not interrupted.

This would give a little more protection than regular BootMii/IOS I think, but it would still not work if SM is uninstalled because boot2 reads the IOS to load from SM TMD, which would be gone in SM was uninstalled.
Okay, I see what you mean. You would still be able to access bootmii if you had a theme brick or something though, and you could have it patched (idk if that's the correct term) to every SM IOS so you could use it if you updated.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You could install BootMii/IOS as SM IOS, install SM IOS to another slot, write a MINI app to load SM with a different IOS (e.g. install ISO60 to ISO160 then load SM with IOS160).
But what if you were able to modify the source to bootmii? It seems like then you could have it act like Priiloader does, where it will continue the normal boot process if not interrupted.

Ceiling Cat is closed source, that's not happening. Besides, it's not necessary - you can autoboot any MINI app by replacing ppcboot.elf with the MINI app renamed. If you need to access BootMii, just swap round files on SD.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Ceiling Cat is closed source, that's not happening. Besides, it's not necessary - you can autoboot any MINI app by replacing ppcboot.elf with the MINI app renamed. If you need to access BootMii, just swap round files on SD.
I know it's closed source, and that it's not going to be open source. I'm simply asking "what if it was?"

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Isn't a theme brick already fixable with priiloader? Most other bricks require reprograming of the nand flash chip.
Since desoldering that from the pcb is not a Job for the Average Joe, a good alternative is redirecting it's contents to a removable media like the sd card or usb drive. That's where neek comes in handy. If the emulated nand contents become corrupted, all you need to do is copy them back to your sd card or harddisk, and you are up and running again. So, you can test menu themes, alternative boot setups, and channel installs without hardly any brick risk.

Preventing is better than curing.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Isn't a theme brick already fixable with priiloader? Most other bricks require reprograming of the nand flash chip.
Since desoldering that from the pcb is not a Job for the Average Joe, a good alternative is redirecting it's contents to a removable media like the sd card or usb drive. That's where neek comes in handy. If the emulated nand contents become corrupted, all you need to do is copy them back to your sd card or harddisk, and you are up and running again. So, you can test menu themes, alternative boot setups, and channel installs without hardly any brick risk.

Preventing is better than curing.
Yeah, Priiloader and Bootmii in the SM IOS would pretty much have the same stuff covered. I guess the only cases would be
1) You changed the video mode and need a way to launch BLIND.
2) Your nand was corrupt and Priiloader wouldn't work.

Both situations are extremely rare, and the first one could be fixed with Priiloader if you knew what keys to press for navigation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo