JimmyBobAlex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been out of the scene for quite awhile. Sorry for my noobish-ness, I did browse the forum but I didn't find an answer. I'm trying to sort out a console for a friend. He had a softmodded 3.2U for the longest time and had Bootmii installed as boot2. I remember doing it for him as I still have the nand backup. He recently updated to 4.3U off the Kirby's Yarn disc on accident. So I was just going to reload the nand backup through Bootmii since I don't have any of the games to exploit 4.3U. The problem is Bootmii won't load before the system menu and I can't figure out why. I tried messing with the .ini to no avail. I then formatted the sd card and copied the bootmii folder from my 3.2U Wii's SD card, which loads Bootmii just fine before startup, and still nothing. Just goes to the system menu regardless.

Did 4.3U or some previous version have an update in it to block Bootmii as boot2 somehow?

psnider85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Upgrading to 4.3U updates the boot2 to boot2v4, so it removed bootmii. Your only choice is to exploit using a savegame.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, since your friend's Wii went from 3.2 to 4.3, bootmii was written over. It can be reinstalled easily with the latest hackmii installer.

JimmyBobAlex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FUUUUUUUU, I thought so. Thanks for humoring me with that info, I do appreciate it. So basically my only options are Smash Stack, Indiana Pwns, Yu-Gi-OH 5D's Wheelie Breakers, LEGO Batman, and LEGO Star Wars? I was hoping there was an exploit that didn't require a game. Ah well I guess I'll have to go rent one of those.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
JimmyBobAlex said:
FUUUUUUUU, I thought so. Thanks for humoring me with that info, I do appreciate it. So basically my only options are Smash Stack, Indiana Pwns, Yu-Gi-OH 5D's Wheelie Breakers, LEGO Batman, and LEGO Star Wars? I was hoping there was an exploit that didn't require a game. Ah well I guess I'll have to go rent one of those.

If his wii have at least a forwarder channel installed it is possible to mod it without a game.

JimmyBobAlex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nope it's all gone, I guess games are the only choice. Well I appreciate the info, thanks a lot guys.
smile.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
JimmyBobAlex said:
Ah well I guess I'll have to go rent one of those.
You're not the first one to have to do that. But it always makes me wonder...why do you have to go out and rent a game? He is the one that broke it, so it's his job to at least help out with whatever you may need for the softmod.
Seriously...the only thing you're teaching him right now is that he can be totally dependent on you for whatever he wants/needs for his wii.

JimmyBobAlex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I'll probably just have him rent/acquire the actual game, I didn't really specify that I guess. He's not very technologically inclined, so he is dependant on me. I'm ok with that, he's disabled and I try to help out whenever I can. I told him not to update EVER, but he thought that just meant not doing an online update. He didn't know there were updates on discs eventhough I could've sworn I mentioned that before. Ah well, it is what it is now.

Viga Skywalker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yuan said:
JimmyBobAlex said:

If his wii have at least a forwarder channel installed it is possible to mod it without a game.

How??

psnider85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Viga Skywalker said:
Yuan said:
JimmyBobAlex said:

How??

A forwarder channel points to a HBC app, so if you have say the snes9x channel forwarder, you can load the bootmii elf file by renaming it to boot.elf and placing it in the snes9x folder, making sure you remove the boot.dol file, then loading the channel and presto.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey JimmyBobAlex I highly advise installing a patch to your friends system menu to prevent the updates from discs. There are a few easy to use and reliable tools to do this out there for most system menu versions

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally recomend against preloader..... I find it to cause more problems than a simple system menu patch. Frankly it's never been a very safe piece of software. I've seen my share of bricks resulting from someone trying a release of priiloader. Preloader never cause a brick for me but I'm just lucky me thinks.

Use something like start patch. Of course make sure if it's possible to have bootmii boot2 installed. If you can't either option poses risk of brick (priiloader more so it seems.)

JimmyBobAlex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blocking disc updates, hmm that's a good idea as it will be less headaches for me down the road. Thanks again for the suggestions guys, you've reminded me why I liked coming here over the years.
wub.gif
Although mostly I just lurked.
tongue.gif

Brentallini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Preloader / Priiloader really THAT much of a risk or just a personal preference from experience? I have been using both on several Wii systems for awhile now to block updates and have yet to experience any major issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool