OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hello everybody

Here is a program i´ve working on, to make easier the wiilinux installations. It is called "Boot it" and is a first version of a program similar to grub or lilo, for wii-linux. The final goal would be to boot wiilinux from any device ompatible with it (now only supports USB disks and SDcards), and to boot different linux kernel versions. Also, it should let you install wiilinux in a easier way, following the "linux live" distributions, where you don´t need to create partitions and install filesystems. Now you boot from a preinstalled filesystem image, but as we aren´t using a compressed filesystem, we can read and write as in a normal installation.

Also, i have compiled some kernel drivers and modules for USB wifi and network adapters. Those are included in the filesystem images attached below. For those who already did an installation on a SDCard partition, you will have to do some changes in order to use this kernel. Here is the "README" where i have written the instructions:

Warning: Installing wiilinux on a USB hard disk results in a slower system than one installed on a SDCard. This is because reading/writing from USB is slower than using the front SDCArd reader. Anyway, it can be used if you don´t have a 1 GB SDCard or you don´t want to use it. It is better to install on a SDCard.

Downloads:
Quote:Boot it! :
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/attac...1&d=1231772644

Filesystem images:
Bliight.img: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F5M59HON
Xwhiite.img: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W4LHO9LN

Howto...

Setup a wireless device:
http://www.newlinuxuser.com/howto-use-iwconfig/

Create a compatible image filesystem:
QUOTE said:
This steps will show how to create a uncompressed filesystem image:

Step 1: Create an empty file:
dd if=/dev/zero of= count= bs=1M

Step 2: Format it in ext2/3
mkfs.ext2

Step 3: Mount the file and copy the filesystem
mount -o loop,rw
cp -r /*

Step 4: Umount it, and detach it from /dev/loop
umount
losetup -d /dev/loop0 (ususally /dev/loop0, might be loop1,2...etc)

Step 5: Copy it to the root of the first partition of the SDCard/USB

README
QUOTE----------------------
- Introducción
----------------------

Bliight is a generic filesystem loader for wiilinux, which should let you boot a filesystem installed on any wiilinux compatible device. It also lets you boot from a filesystem image, qhich should simplifcate the use of wiilinux to those users that don´t want to do partitions on their sdcard.

This kernel has support for wireless modules, to use these modules you must install udev and wireless tools on xwhiite. These applications and the kernel modules for the wireless/network adapters are included on the bliight and xwhiite filesystem images given with this tool. The only wireless driver tested is Ralink rt73 usb.

----------------------
- Necessary tools
----------------------

1) 1GB SDcard (2GB for bliight), or a similar usb hard disck, formatted on Fat32 (NTFS doesn´t works, as writting isn´t supported by the kernel)
2) USB Keyboard
3) A wii console with the Homebrew channel or twilight hack installed

Optional:

4) USB-HUB * read known problems
5) USB mouse * read known problems
6) USB wireless/ethernet adapter * read known problems

----------------------
- Instalación
----------------------

1) Copy the "apps" directory to the root of your SDCard
2) If you want to boot a preinstalled wiilinux filesystem (using whiite or whiite installer), copy the "pivot_root" and "chroot" files inside the "extra" directory to your filesystem "/bin" directory, and create a directory called "/old-root" in the root of your filesystem.
3) If you want to boot any of the filesystem images (bliight.img or xwhiite.img), copy them to the root of your device (SDCard or USB hard disk)

----------------------
- Configuration
----------------------

1) Launch "boot-it" using the Homebrew Channel. The first time it will show you a menu:

- Boot installed system : Lets you access the boot menu
- Return to Wii menu : Lets you reboot

2) Use the keyboad arrows to move up/down the selected option, ad press "Enter". If you selected
"Boot installed system" oyou will see a new menu:
- USB : To boot a filesystem installed on a USB hard disk partition
- SDCard : To boot a filesystem installed on a SDCard partition
- Disc image : To boot a filesystem image file on a USB or SDCard

If you select USB or SDCard, you will see a menu to select the partition (1,2,3...). Introduce the partition number. and press enter.If everything is OK, it will start to boot that filesystem

If you select "Disc image", It will ask you the device where it is installed (USB o SDCard), and then you will have to introduce the filename (bliight.img, xwhiite.img, etc...).

If everything is OK, a file called "wiilinux.cfg" will be created in the root of your SDCard. There will be saved the configuration. If you want to reconfigure "boot it", delete that file.

----------------------
- Known problems
----------------------

Q) The USB Keyboard does not work.
A) If you have a USB mous plugged in, iterchange the usb port where they are plugged, or unplug the mouse

Q) It says that some files are missing (pivot_root, chroot, old-root)
A) If you are booting a previously installed wiilinux (xwhiite or bliight installed in the second partition of your sdcard) you will have to copy the contents of the "extra" directory to the root of your wiilinux filesystem.

----------------------
- Thanks
----------------------
Thanks to all the wii-linux developpers:
- The gc-linux team and Isobel, who did this possible
- All the #wiilinux contributors: Muzer, Bertjan, T7g... the list is very long
- Special thanks to t7g and berjan for "bliight" and "xwhiite"
- Of course, thanks to the Team Twiizers, for their Homebrew channel and Twilight hack

Any problems, ask them on #wiilinux at efnet.
Source : Tehskeen

Jizmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, I'm gonna have to check into this in the next couple days when I have the Inkling. Would really like having an NTSC linux installed with a proper GUI.

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The "boot-it" link is incomplete can you please correct it?

*edit* No matter I got it:

Code:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2508&stc=1&d=1231772644

I've also upped it to here for those that don't have an account/want to register:

http://madtamski.com/downloads/bootit.zip

*edit 2*

This works a bloody treat!

No partitioning required and pretty damn fast at loading too!

Give it a try folks
wink.gif

Jizmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
madtamski said:
The "boot-it" link is incomplete can you please correct it?

*edit* No matter I got it:

Code:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2508&stc=1&d=1231772644

I've also upped it to here for those that don't have an account/want to register:

http://madtamski.com/downloads/bootit.zip

*edit 2*

This works a bloody treat!

No partitioning required and pretty damn fast at loading too!

Give it a try folks
wink.gif

Is this a PAL version? I installed a PAL linux distribution and the menu was off the bottom of the screen. Just would like to know before I try it.

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dunno, as I'm on already on pal and the menu is fine at the bottom of the screen (xwhiite.img)

btw, I've got a vid playing in vlc on a mounted USB flash drive...not too bad, but to be honest Mplayerwii and Geexbox gives better quality lol

But hey it's still fun playing around with linux
biggrin.gif

p.s. For anyone who wants to to mount a USB (Flash) Drive you enter the commands (in a shell prompt):

mount /dev/sda1 mnt

The files on the USB Drive/Flashdrive will then be available in /mnt

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
4) USB-HUB * read known problems
I read this but i can't find the issues detailed anywhere!

Anyone know what the issues are since I'd like to use my USB hub...

t7g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I think Bliight and xwhiite both have onscreen keyboards, do you honestly think we're that lazy? Bliight even has two seperate ones I believe.

by the way, many thanks to nuvalo for all the hard work he's done for the wii linux community, without him we'd probably not be half as far as we are now.

As for the usb issues that were mentioned...

When you use a usb hub, you have to have everything connected to it before you boot up wii linux, or it simply won't be seen, and you can't disconnect and reconnect any device on a usb hub, when using a usb hub with wii linux, only the devices you had when you booted the system will work, and for example, if you disconnect one, it will leave and not come back until the next reboot.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Seems to work fine..but still get that X-Server Error with Bliight..Screen flickers to green, then goes to bash, then to green, then to bash, etc...then the X-Server Error comes...sad
frown.gif
...I know XWhiite works, but I wanted to try Bliight, but it simply don't work...

Anyways, great App, easier than the Installer
wink.gif
!!!

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Doesn't work for me. I'm using a disk image, bliight.img, and when I go to Disk image, then USB[using a 60GB USB hard drive, FAT32], then type in the file name, it gives me an error with no time to read it and immediately goes back to the first menu again. I did catch a glimpse of "invalid argument" or something, though. Any ideas?

wall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a similar problem, after lauching Boot-It I see normal DOS characters on a black background but when it gets to the selection menu the screen is flickering and the Wiimote loses connection. BTW, if someone could upload xwhiite.img or bliight.img I would be very thankful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.