Booting the M3 Perfect with the R4 and one SD-card

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Maikel Steneker, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Maikel Steneker
    OP

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    My brother has an R4 and M3 Perfect. He wants to use his M3 Perfect to link DS and GBA games. Of course, he will need to boot his M3 Perfect in DS-mode. But he has only got one SD-card.

The R4 won't work without one. When removing it to get the SD-card out the menu will crash.

I was wondering: is there any way (homebrew maybe?) to boot his M3 Perfect in DS-mode? Btw, he doesn't want to flash his DS.

2. Maikel Steneker
    OP

Netherlands
    Does anyone know if there even is homebrew which can boot Slot-2 in NDS-mode?

3. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    buy a 32 mb card for the r4, and put the r4 loaderon it:)

4. Maikel Steneker
    OP

Netherlands
    [​IMG] Can you even buy them that small? [​IMG]

He will buy another MicroSD card (1 or 2 GB) in a few months, but he already wanted to use his M3 Perfect. I had the same setup as he has now, but I had the old M3 Simply. I could remove the MicroSD without removing the R4, and it could still boot Slot-2.

5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    ok i think i might have a solution for you. you need to get the MK4-mini rom dump.

boot it with your r4 then you should be able to take the SD out and put it in the m3 perfect.

although, the rom is hard to find [​IMG]

6. Maikel Steneker
    OP

Netherlands
    OK, I'll try to find it.

Edit: OK, that wasn't too hard. Harder then most roms, but I found it quite fast.
    I'll go and try it [​IMG]

7. Maikel Steneker
    OP

Netherlands
    What the...

If I launch SM-MK4GB.NDS it boots the M3. The problem is that it does that so fast that I can't put the MicroSD in the M3.

If I launch SM-MK4DS.NDS I see a little menu. I can choose A to "Boot MK2/3 from NDS slot" or B to "Boot from GBA slot".
    When pressing A it says "please remove MK4, re-insert the MK2/3 and press button A". I don't have one, so I press A. Now it says "MK2/3 menu load failed. Using internal menu. A: Continue". I see another menu. None of it's options work. I could "press Y to format Menu" though. It may not have been a smart idea, but I tried it... It didn't seem to do anything, so I turned the DS off.
    This time I tried option B, "Boot from GBA slot". This time it gave me two white screens.

Does anyone have any other solutions? If there was something like the SM-MK4GB.NDS file which waited until I pressed a button my problem would be solved..

8. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    well, this is what i meant you to do (sorry i forgot to elaborate)

1. load SM-MK4DS.NDS so that the menu screen pops up.
    2. swap the microsd to the slot two cart.
    3. press B to boot the gba cart.

but are you saying pressing B gives white screens? i dont see why, because it should boot the same as SM-MK4GB.NDS except delayed (so that you would have time to swap microsd).

if it is giving white screens then i guess my idea won't work after all.

9. Maikel Steneker
    OP

Netherlands
    Yeah, it gives me white screens. I'll try again, but I'm almost 100% certain that it won't work.

Thanks for the suggestion though [​IMG]

10. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Use the R4 to flash his DS.

11. Maikel Steneker
    OP

Netherlands
    That's the first thing I thought of too... I did it myself and it actually worked flawlessly... The main concern is that my parents think it'll kill his DS for some reason.

Maybe I'll give him the tools to do it when they're not home. I'm not allowed to do it myself [​IMG]