Hacking Booting into SafeB9SInstaller (magnet) fails - stays on black screen

wad11656

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • I successfully flashed ntrboot for cards from r4isdhc.com.
  • Here is my micro SD card contents:
meh1.png
meh1.png

• My Micro SD is a 32GB Class 10 SanDisk Ultra micro SDHC.
  • I had problems with my flashcart not being detected by my 3DS, but found out it was a connector pin problem, and sticking a piece of cardstock behind the card in the 3DS cart slot solved the problem. I'm continuing to use this method.
  • I can successfully use the magnet to put the 3DS to sleep.
  • It appears that I can successfully boot into the mode I need to when I press Select+Start+X+Power, but nothing happens. It just remains on a black screen. When I let go of the buttons, the 3DS just powers off.
  • The 3DS is not bricked, because I can still boot into the 3DS normally. I don't know if the flashcart is bricked, though...
  • I had the file contents of the R4i Gold Pro kernel and .nds game roms on the card when I flashed ntrboot. I deleted all those files after flashing.
  • If it's possible to restart the process, I also have a DS Lite, so I can do the 3DS+DS method...
  • Am I supposed to have the Nintendo 3DS folder on the root of my SD? Like pictured in the guide? Where does that come from?
Any ideas? Please help me.

EDIT:

Here is a screenshot of the SD contents from the 3DS' SD slot (Samsung Class 10 8GB), and now I'm confused:
meh2.png

I did not put that boot9strap folder there.................Did flashing process put the folder there? Should I boot into boot9strap with or without this 8GB system SD card in? Should I use this 8GB SD card in my flashcart instead? :(

Last edited by wad11656,

Paperjin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you copy the boot.firm that you were supposed to rename from bs9installer.firm? it should be in the root of your 3ds microsd card.
the boot.firm should be in the root of your microsd card for your 3ds. I would reread the steps during the prep to make sure you copied everything you need to to your micrsd card to make sure it has all the files it needs to boot.

Last edited by Paperjin,
Reactions: Quantumcat

wad11656

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you copy the boot.firm that you were supposed to rename from bs9installer.firm? it should be in the root of your 3ds microsd card.

Yeah I did. You can see it in the screenshot. Its 92kb file size matches SafeB9SInstaller.firm's 92kb file size.

Edit: Wait. By "3ds microsd card," do you mean the micro SD in the 3DS system SD slot, or the micro SD in the flashcart?

Last edited by wad11656,

Paperjin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I did. You can see it in the screenshot. Its 92kb file size matches SafeB9SInstaller.firm's 92kb file size.

Edit: Wait. By "3ds microsd card," do you mean the micro SD in the 3DS system SD slot, or the micro SD in the flashcart?
in the 3ds, if you see the steps, it tells you (after you copy the files) to put it back in your device. I had the same issue.

D

Deleted User

Make shure the magnet is right under the b button

Last edited by ,

wad11656

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the 3ds, if you see the steps, it tells you (after you copy the files) to put it back in your device. I had the same issue.

Oh, WOW. I had NO idea we'd be modifying the SD card in the system's SD slot AT ALL. The instructions should make VERY CLEAR what SD card they are referring to in each step. Thank you!!!

Paperjin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, WOW. I had NO idea we'd be modifying the system SD slot card AT ALL. The instructions should make VERY CLEAR what SD card they are referring to in each step. Thank you!!!
No problem, i actually created an account just to answer this, i lurk alot lol. it's a little cryptic but honestly i probably could've read it better instead of trying to rush through it. it was my fault lol.
The way it works (to my understanding) is that NTR boots from sd with the help of the magnet to alter the nand on your 3ds. that's how you get b9s on it and, from there, the ability to boot into GM9. any corrections are welcome. :P

Reactions: wad11656

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • I successfully flashed ntrboot for cards from r4isdhc.com.
  • Here is my micro SD card contents:
meh1.png
meh1.png

• My Micro SD is a 32GB Class 10 SanDisk Ultra micro SDHC.
  • I had problems with my flashcart not being detected by my 3DS, but found out it was a connector pin problem, and sticking a piece of cardstock behind the card in the 3DS cart slot solved the problem. I'm continuing to use this method.
  • I can successfully use the magnet to put the 3DS to sleep.
  • It appears that I can successfully boot into the mode I need to when I press Select+Start+X+Power, but nothing happens. It just remains on a black screen. When I let go of the buttons, the 3DS just powers off.
  • The 3DS is not bricked, because I can still boot into the 3DS normally. I don't know if the flashcart is bricked, though...
  • I had the file contents of the R4i Gold Pro kernel and .nds game roms on the card when I flashed ntrboot. I deleted all those files after flashing.
  • If it's possible to restart the process, I also have a DS Lite, so I can do the 3DS+DS method...
  • Am I supposed to have the Nintendo 3DS folder on the root of my SD? Like pictured in the guide? Where does that come from?
Any ideas? Please help me.

EDIT:

Here is a screenshot of the SD contents from the 3DS' SD slot (Samsung Class 10 8GB), and now I'm confused:
meh2.png

I did not put that boot9strap folder there.................Did flashing process put the folder there? Should I boot into boot9strap with or without this 8GB system SD card in? Should I use this 8GB SD card in my flashcart instead? :(
Now THIS! THIS is how you should ask for help. Good thread. As for the problem, I never used ntrboot, so I don't know. Just wanted to congratulate you on actually taking your time instead of writing "it canot boots up".

Paperjin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now THIS! THIS is how you should ask for help. Good thread. As for the problem, I never used ntrboot, so I don't know. Just wanted to congratulate you on actually taking your time instead of writing "it canot boots up".
Honestly that's part of the reason i was so adamant about helping him. he took the time to list everything he thought of and that's so helpful in the long run.

wad11656

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thank you! I just get really impatient when people offer me a bunch of really basic troubleshooting suggestions that I already had taken care of, so I try to get it all that out of the way from the get-go. :P

Last edited by wad11656,

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only things that use the flashcart's SD card is the flashcart itself, and that's only needed for the guide if you are using the .nds flasher to install ntrboot to the cart. Once your cart is flashed, it's not used afterwards for anything (unless and until you restore it and use it as a DS flashcart again for DS games).

You're not the only one to put the files on the wrong SD card, the guide could probably make it more clear.

Just in case you're still curious about the folders already on your 3DS's SD card: "Nintendo 3DS" is where the 3DS stores all its data - home menu data, games, etc. "DCIM" is for pictures, and "boot9strap" got created because boot9strap was being loaded from your flashcart and when you boot B9S holding the same button combo used for ntrboot it dumps the arm9/arm11 bootroms as well as the OTP.bin for that console to the SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1