Booting into emuNAND using CFW Cakes leads to black screen after updating to version 11.4

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Yoshister, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Yoshister
    OP

Yoshister Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    After updating my emuNAND to version 11.4, I'm getting a black screen every time I try booting it up using CFW Cakes (Which I access using Menuhax).

I've seen this guide (https://3ds.guide) before, but which guide do I follow?

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You need to update Cakes (not sure if it was updated to support 11.4 or not) or switch to Luma. You don't have to get b9s if you don't want to (though it is recommended).

To update to Luma have a look at https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-upgrade

I'd you can't get it working by reading the above, you'll be unlikely to be able to get help because so much depends on your current setup, and there's lots of variation. However if you get b9s instead of menuhax then you'll get a lot of help (everyone is familiar with 3ds.guide).

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jun 1, 2017
  3. NZ_reg

NZ_reg Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2017
    Liechtenstein
    Please explain, what are the advantages? I got used n3ds with some older build of rei nand. Now just ctr+c ctr+v Luma over it and update emunand to 11.4. Works perfectly. What are the advantages of b9s and should I even bother to change something?

4. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    The advantages are.....

1.future luma updates since luma will not support a9lh anymore

2.the ability to dump your bootrom which allows for even deeper control over the system since the payloads run through arm11 and its more flexible for devs to create future homebrew/payloads.You can also run some of the arm9 payloads through ctrbootmanager but most of them will be converted to arm11 anyway.

3. Only takes 10 minutes to install or upgrade.No downgrading is required.

NZ_reg likes this.
  5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You don't have to worry about updating your sysNAND anymore (once b9s is installed you can always update) and you don't need an emuNAND. @Ominous66521 he doesn't have a9lh :-p

NZ_reg likes this.
  6. NZ_reg

NZ_reg Newbie

Newcomer
    May 31, 2017
    Liechtenstein
    Thanks for answers. Decided to not change anything for now. As if it works, no need to fix.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    CakesFW actually did update to support 11.4, but reboot patches are still broken
    The OP will need to update to the latest nightly with the latest firmware.bin

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jun 1, 2017
    Yoshister and Quantumcat like this.
  8. Yoshister
    OP

Yoshister Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for the help!