Booting backup GC disks on newest Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by noregister, Dec 27, 2009.

Dec 27, 2009
  1. noregister
    OP

Newcomer noregister Newbie

Am I right to believe that currently there is no way for those of us with the newest Wii disk drive to play backup GC games? Is the only option currently to replace the disk drive? Based on previous hardware changes, would it be safe to assume we can expect a soft mod to rectify this? Finally, do you think it will ever be possible to boot GC games from USB or SD devices?

2. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    Yep, you're right, there is no way, except changing the DVD drive's chipset with an older revision.

3. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The D3-2 drive will never play backup discs. If you want disc backups, you'll need to swap out the drive (chipset).

Since MIOS cannot access the USB ports, a softmod GameCube USB loader will definitely never surface. You can buy a modchip labeled as "D3-2 compatible" (such as Wiikey Fusion and WODE) to play games over USB or SD.

4. miketh2005

Member miketh2005 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i want to play wii DVD backups on a brand new Wii. the ONLY way is to swap the drive????

where do i buy this drive, what is the name of the drive i need, and where are step by step instructions on how to do it, which is very newbie friendly (to a guy who never opened any gaming console, but successfully swapped some RAM in my computer)?

5. Dialexio

United States
    There were some reports that some stores still have a stock of Wiis with the D3 drive. (D3 can read backups via mods, D3-2 can't.)

Should you get a Wii with the D3-2 drive, you can plug in an external DVD drive (as in one for your PC) and use uLoader 3.5.

Alternatively, you could look for an older drive. (DMS, D2A, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E, and D3 are all backup-happy drive revisions.)

Here's a Wii disassembly tutorial video:

6. miketh2005

United States
    DAMN! now THAT is not switching some RAM, lol. I'd have to see if a chipset is cheaper than a 8GB flash drive.

7. miketh2005

United States
    oh! is there anyway to know on the box, which chipset version it has? or is it only on the wii itself?

i should have got it before the christmas season

can i get the cheapest chipset or should i get the newest D3 one? what are the differences?

OHHHHH SNAP! These things are 80 bucks! forget that mess. I'll just have to spend some cash and buy an 8 GB flash drive on ebay for $12.38

8. jwcgator

Member jwcgator GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Marcan (at least I think it was him) had a video on youtube of a gamecube game playing with the wii cpu clocked at normal speed, not at the underclocked gamecube speed. However, he took it down some time ago. I refuse to believe that this is the case after seeing that video. Also, remember when we said we would never have backup games playing at all? yeah, that.

I STILL CLING TO A CHANCE [​IMG]

9. miketh2005

United States
    what about code junkie's SD media launcher?

10. Dialexio

United States
    It was Crediar. [​IMG] The Broadway (Wii processor) is very similar to Gekko (GCN processor); the only big difference is speed. Because they are similar, MIOS underclocks Broadway to the speed of a Gekko chip. (There is no separate processor in the Wii for GameCube mode.) Creediar must've patched the MIOS so Broadway doesn't get underclocked.

Adding USB would be a totally different thing; the USB modules do not exist in MIOS.

11. davidsl_128

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    Wait, so if I have a usb DVD reader (something like this), I can plug it in to a usb port and play DVDs using a USB loader? That's great! (my Wii drive could read DVDs, but it's messed up and even has a hard time reading originals; so being able to use an external DVD drive would rock!)

Now, going on-topic, maybe a special CIOS could be made from taking the MIOS, removing the clock speed, and adding the USB modules? And GC games would be modified to run on this special CIOS rather than on MIOS? Just a heads up, I don't really know if that's even possible xD

12. miketh2005

United States
    if you already have it, but if you don't, don't buy it. buy a 8GB usb flash drive from ebay. it's cheaper.

13. davidsl_128

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    No, I already have it... I just want to be able to play my DVD games again [​IMG] Besides, only like 4 games would fit in 8GB lol But hey, since this is still running through USB, backups read this way run at x6, right? Or do they run at x3 like with the usual Backup Launcher?

14. miketh2005

United States
    i thought it would only hold 1 game? [​IMG]

4.7 GB per wii game

15. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    It mostly luck of the draw if you get a Wii with the D3-2 drive still. I bought 2 for xmas presents this year from Wal-Mart, and both could play burned games.

16. Dialexio

United States
    Not if it's stored in WBFS or as a sparse NTFS file. [​IMG]

17. miketh2005

United States
  18. miketh2005

United States
    does that mean i don't have to buy a 8GB flash drive? cause i already have a 4GB SD card. Will an SD card work?

19. miketh2005

United States
    Can anyone help me, please? [​IMG]

20. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    there is currently no way to play GC games from usb at the moment I've seen someone post they'd give a $1000's for anyone who could get it to work