Booting apps entirely off usb

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jaybee, Mar 5, 2010.

Mar 5, 2010
  1. jaybee
    OP

Member jaybee GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my wii to a 1tb usb hdd and now have a fat partition on it and I was wondering if it would be possible to not use the sd card anymore and get all the apps to boot off usb instead? HBC appears to work okay but some channel forwarders either return to the menu on crash dump. Does this mean I would have to edit the forwarders dol path with a pc wad editing app and then re install them to the nand? Is this fairly easy to do or is it quite involving? Note im not a noob with this kind of thing but would just prefer to tread carefully. I have successfully moddeed 3 wii's so far! lol
    Thanks in advance. J.

2. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    customizemii + forwardmii = win.

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    dont worry about forwardmii, it's included with customize mii (it wasn't initially)

to make a complex forwarder, u need to also install devkit pro and copy the libogc from the customize mii google code download page to your libogc folder on your C drive. Then restart, then launch customize mii and the complex forwarder option will be there

4. KiiWii

United Kingdom
    @xflak40 : in customize mii whats the option for comex or wanins nandloader for? I haven't touched that option yet. [​IMG]

5. XFlak

Canada
    well every customize mii channel has a nand loader in it, sometimes comex's works better other times wanin's works better, basically if u have a channel that isn't working properly, modify its internal dol to use the other nand loader, try it out, and it may fix ur problem... 99% of the time, both will work (I prefer comex's, as with wanin I usually see some yellow/red loading screen/flash)

6. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    the flash is a loading msg, hold reset while loading that certain channel to change setting of the NAND loader, not very usefull IMHO as it only has NTSC setting i think

7. KiiWii

United Kingdom
    @xflak40: cheers dude.

8. XFlak

Canada
    no prob man

9. jaybee
    OP

Member jaybee GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the ever useful info guys! I will check this out over the weekend. I wanted to do this so I could use the sd for sneek but by the looks of things if cios19 comes out and fixes the incompatibility issues then maybe I wont need to! [​IMG]

In all honesty, while waiting for the issues with cios18 to be addressed i've been having fun with the PS3, and Xbox360 (Am I allowed to say that on a Wii forum?) [​IMG]