Homebrew bootFirmware

HoTsHoT89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
playallday, is this similar to Yasu's Back2Firmware? Thumbs up if there's added functionality over Yasu's, will give it a try later.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
As i understand it, this is meant to do completely the same function as Back2Firmware.

Back2Firmware already exists and works perfectly, you're wasting your time!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
arctic_flame said:
http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/index_en.html

back2fw did this ages ago.

It actually boots the firmware off the DS's flash.

It wins.
This is different. This lets you select on boot if you want to start your flashcard or the original NDS firmware.

It's a good workaround for the auto-booting Flashcards out there. Good job, playallday.

CorruptedAngel

Trophies
XP
Country
So... My question is, what happens if you boot into say, an R4 or supercard ds1 or whatever, then run this, and it goes back to the main ds menu, then when happens if you try to boot into slot 1 from the main ds menu? dont the r4 and the like need to force themselves to boot when you start up the ds? would it still boot into the flashcard menu?

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
arctic_flame said:

It wins.
This is different. This lets you select on boot if you want to start your flashcard or the original NDS firmware.

It's a good workaround for the auto-booting Flashcards out there. Good job, playallday.

Wait... It works like that for you? You can get it to boot up as the start up file?

Just so everyone knows, I had no idea about Back2Firmware when I made it.

EDIT:
QUOTE said:
It doesn't work with FlashMe'd DS now.
I think mine does
wink.gif

QUOTE(Vague Rant @ Oct 29 2008, 12:43 AM)
Hmm. Could this be a way to share homebrew with non-flash card users? Theoretically, one could place the flash card in their DS, boot FlashMe from it, then remove the flash card and place it in your DS, then broadcast some homebrew. Correct? The only thing I'm unsure of is whether the DS would hang upon removing the flash card.
Try booting the firmware.nds file and take out the card. It works. Good idea, I'll look into it.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
The thing I don't like about this is that it can't directly boot the firmware, but it's still a nice idea. I'll keep using Yasu's back2fw for now, but if it will be possible to boot the M3 Real software as well, count me in
wink.gif
Oh, M3Sakura users might want to use this as defaultx.nds or defaulty.nds.

I wonder if there's a dump of FlashMe. This would probably enable DS Download Play for homebrew on an unflashed DS, which is pretty neat.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Maikel Steneker said:
I wonder if there's a dump of FlashMe. This would probably enable DS Download Play for homebrew on an unflashed DS, which is pretty neat.
I've just dumped my firmware on a Flashed DS Lite. Anyone know how to get BIOSNDS9.ROM, BIOSNDS7.ROM and FWxxxxxx.BIN into a .NDS file?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
playallday said:
raulpica said:
arctic_flame said:

It wins.

Wait... It works like that for you? You can get it to boot up as the start up file?

Just so everyone knows, I had no idea about Back2Firmware when I made it.
Wait. I thought it worked like that :/ I've read something wrong, then. Nevermind
tongue.gif

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
Maikel Steneker said:
I've just dumped my firmware on a Flashed DS Lite. Anyone know how to get BIOSNDS9.ROM, BIOSNDS7.ROM and FWxxxxxx.BIN into a .NDS file?

With a lot of hard work and technical expertise in the inner workings of ARM assembly.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
chuckstudios said:
playallday said:
Maikel Steneker said:
With a lot of hard work and technical expertise in the inner workings of ARM assembly.
Loopy did it. Why can't I
tongue.gif
?

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
chuckstudios said:
playallday said:
Maikel Steneker said:
tongue.gif
?

I didn't say you couldn't; he just happened to fulfill both of those requirements.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
chuckstudios said:
playallday said:
chuckstudios said:
playallday said:
Maikel Steneker said:
tongue.gif
?
I didn't say you couldn't; he just happened to fulfill both of those requirements.
It can't be that hard! Does anyone know how to do it?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loopy does.

Seriously, it's probably out of your league. Saying "it can't be that hard" doesn't magically make it any easier. Loopy is the only one who has ever successfully done it (to the best of my knowledge), and he didn't really release any details on how he did it.

Regarding some of the other discussion in this topic, a "dump" of FlashMe doesn't make sense. Okay, so you'd boot what is essentially a modified firmware.nds file on someone else's DS. Now what? How does that help you share homebrew with them? I suppose if you run that really old program that turns your DS into a WMB server it might work, assuming that the RSA security check would be invalidated by running the FlashMe'd firmware.nds file (an assumption that could very well be wrong), but for that matter it would be just as easy to insert your device in their DS, booth the game, eject the card and load it on your DS, and boot the game yourself. It would accomplish the same thing.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
playallday said:

It's simple. (haw haw)

Firstly, ignore the bios dumps. (You don't even know what they are do you?)
You have to decrypt and then unpack the firmware. I think chishm actually released a program the would do this.
You then have to disassemble the result, modify it a bit and then reassemble and pack into *.nds format.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
arctic_flame said:
playallday said:
You have to decrypt and then unpack the firmware. I think chishm actually released a program the would do this.
I can't find chishm decrypter or anything! A name would be nice!

EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone help me with the program?

I have put the two files (firmware.nds and systemfile.nds) in the root directory and the bootfirmware in a subdirectory. When i try to use any of the boot it only show me two white screens.
The firmware.nds is from loopy's flashme 8a pack and the systemfile.nds is msforsc.nds for DS one SDHC.

What is wrong?
hate2.gif

-Boriar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu