Hacking Boot to emuNAND holding R at boot?

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yo!

So I've basically grown tired of going into the Homebrew Launcher with menuhax everytime I want to boot Luma. Is there anyway to make some kind of setup where I can do this:

• Boot to Luma by holding R
  • Boot to Homebrew Launcher by holding L (Like usual)
  • Boot to Sysnand without doing anything (Like usual)

Thanks in advance!

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Tried ctrbootmanager, but the only thing I can get from it that you get some kind of list where you choose between Homebrew Launcher or Luma, I can't find any setting where you hold a button to boot into the emunand.
Using Luma should just auto boot into your emuNAND

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Using Luma should just auto boot into your emuNAND

Yes, it works as intended. But I want to get into Luma from coldboot without using any extra menus, as in I just want to hold down a button and it boots into Luma emunand without any additional menus like ctrbootmanager or Homebrew Launcher.

nobody231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it works as intended. But I want to get into Luma from coldboot without using any extra menus, as in I just want to hold down a button and it boots into Luma emunand without any additional menus like ctrbootmanager or Homebrew Launcher.
Luma 3DS does have a MenuHAX boot.3dsx, but then you'll have no way to use Decrypt9 (or other 9.2 only programs) without disabling MenuHAX.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Luma does this by default on a9lh. In fact I'm actually putting my old emunand on my SD Card and doing this. Luma allows you to boot into emunand if you hold R during boot. I guess, if you have Menuhax (on a9lh already, sorry), you can configure it to boot HBL on L press, and emuNAND on R.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

nobody231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luma does this by default on a9lh. In fact I'm actually putting my old emunand on my SD Card and doing this. Luma allows you to boot into emunand if you hold R during boot. I guess, if you have Menuhax (on a9lh already, sorry), you can configure it to boot HBL on L press, and emuNAND on R.
That would require a brand-new payload type. You can't set multiple launch modes per button, that's why boot managers exist. You can only make it so you boot into SysNAND when holding a certain button.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
That would require a brand-new payload type. You can't set multiple launch modes per button, that's why boot managers exist. You can only make it so you boot into SysNAND when holding a certain button.
Hmm? This is completely possible already.

Like I said, if you run updatedsysnand a9lh, you can hold R for emuNAND.

And if you install menuhax on sysNAND and emuNAND, you can set it to run when you hold L. I don't see what a boot manager has to do with anything...

Last edited by Halvorsen,

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tried ctrbootmanager, but the only thing I can get from it that you get some kind of list where you choose between Homebrew Launcher or Luma, I can't find any setting where you hold a button to boot into the emunand.
You can set a timeout in the menu so that it will only show for a few seconds (or not show at all) by changing the "timeout" setting. You can also set buttons to boot whatever you want by changing the "key" value. So yes, you can just hold the specified button and it will boot whatever CFW or homebrew you set it to. Info is here.

nobody231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm? This is completely possible already.

Like I said, if you run updatedsysnand a9lh, you can hold R for emuNAND.

And if you install menuhax on sysNAND and emuNAND, you can set it to run when you hold L. I don't see what a boot manager has to do with anything...
I'm talking about MenuHax. If you had A9LH, then this would be completely unnecessary.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about MenuHax. If you had A9LH, then this would be completely unnecessary.
So am I. In addition to a9lh, however, this will provide exactly what OP wants.
-booting to sysnand without holding anything (updatedsysnand)
-booting to emunand with R
-booting to HBL with L (Menuhax).

You'd have to time holding the buttons different ways while using a bootloader, and booting to HBL wouldn't work out perfectly as it could maybe interfere with Menuhax.

nobody231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So am I. In addition to a9lh, however, this will provide exactly what OP wants.
-booting to sysnand without holding anything (updatedsysnand)
-booting to emunand with R
-booting to HBL with L (Menuhax).

You'd have to time holding the buttons different ways while using a bootloader, and booting to HBL wouldn't work out perfectly as it could maybe interfere with Menuhax.
Is that a new feature in MenuHAX? Because that's new to me.

nobody231

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. It may be my explanation that's confusing, but it's simply holding down a button to trigger Menuhax. This works without a9lh too. It's almost always was a thing.
Yes, you can boot MenuHAX by holding a button, or choose that holding a button will make MenuHAX not boot, in the case of autobooting MenuHAX. But after that, the payload is what handles the rest. Therefore, you can't use MenuHAX with generic payload to boot into Homebrew Loader with L, or Luma3DS with R, without creating your own MenuHAX payload.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?