Hacking Boot to black screen after reflashing R4i Gold 3DS RTS and using the card.

NowhereManByNight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After using my R4i Gold 3DS RTS card for ntrboot to hack my 3DS today i followed the guide on 3ds.hacks.guide to reflash the card to it's original state in order to play NDS games off it. It all seemed to work and after reflashing the card the 3DS booted normally. I loaded up the card and played a DS game. After a while i pressed the home button and the system asked if i wanted to close the software and return to the home screen, I clicked yes and the screen went black. I waited a while and after it was long apparent the system had crashed I held the power button to turn it off which took ages. I tried booting the system with the R4 card taken out and got black screen, I tried removing the SD and got black screen. If i boot to GodMode9 that works, but as soon as i try to reboot the system into the normal OS i still get black screen?

How would I go about fixing this? I'm a total noob at this sort of thing and only managed to hack it at all by following the guide to the letter. Please tell me I don't have a brick on my hands D:

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
After using my R4i Gold 3DS RTS card for ntrboot to hack my 3DS today i followed the guide on 3ds.hacks.guide to reflash the card to it's original state in order to play NDS games off it. It all seemed to work and after reflashing the card the 3DS booted normally. I loaded up the card and played a DS game. After a while i pressed the home button and the system asked if i wanted to close the software and return to the home screen, I clicked yes and the screen went black. I waited a while and after it was long apparent the system had crashed I held the power button to turn it off which took ages. I tried booting the system with the R4 card taken out and got black screen, I tried removing the SD and got black screen. If i boot to GodMode9 that works, but as soon as i try to reboot the system into the normal OS i still get black screen?

How would I go about fixing this? I'm a total noob at this sort of thing and only managed to hack it at all by following the guide to the letter. Please tell me I don't have a brick on my hands D:
Try the following steps:

0. Sometimes and for some reason the home menu takes some time to boot. Let your 3DS stay in the black screen for several minutes, just in case.
1. Try renaming the Nintendo 3DS folder in your SD card to Nintendo 3DS_old and see if that works.
2. Try going to GodMode9 -> SD (to check that GodMode9 can properly read the SD card in case it's corrupted, you can also check on a PC).
3. Try putting the volume slider to the max and check if you can hear the home menu music (report back if that's the case)
4. Does your 3DS have any hardware issues or fell to the floor? Try powering it on with the lid partially open.
5. If nothing of the above works, report it back and wait for anyone to guide you on how to make a CTRTransfer.

It's very important that you report back your progress as a simple CTRTransfer may not be enough to fix the issue.

Last edited by PabloMK7,

NowhereManByNight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I ended up consulting the troubleshooting guide on the 3ds.hacks.guide site and although none of the problems listed described what was had happened, the symptoms of the black screen was the same. I followed the "Black Screen on SysNAND boot" section of the troubleshooting guide using the remove extdata script in GM9. After that the system booted fine and just had to create new home menu data but has since worked normally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?