Hacking Boot Slot 2 in GBA Mode?

betawind

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe there is any setting. I think this is part of the slot 2 cart itself. The R4 acts like a passcard and simply allows the slot 2 cart to boot. I would check the slot 2 cart to see if theres a way to force it to GBA mode.

jeklnoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you could make a small homebrew that does it, eg:
BootSlot2GBA.nds
or something, when you pick it from the R4, it will boot to slot-2 in gba-mode.

There's a chance someone already made such a thing even

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I generally do is boot slot2 from my R4, pick a GBA game to load in my SCminiSD, then soft-reset and it will be in GBA mode from there.

OR

Eject the R4, boot your slot2 card, plug the R4 back in. This is especially useful for game that requires QPC saving.

I do understand why it's a problem....some GBA games don't want to load from DS mode for whatever reason. That's how I get around the issue. You just have to remember which GBA game WILL load from DS mode AND allows soft-reset....or just use the "pull the slot1" option.

If there is some little booter that could be loaded in the R4 to boot to slot2 in GBA mode, I don't know about it.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody listened to him...
frown.gif
He wants to use the border that the R4 uses on GBA games with his slot 2 cart. I'm pretty sure he is aware of alternative ways of making it go into GBA mode, he just wants the border. And the answer to this is that there is no way at this time to make the R4 boot those carts into GBA mode with its boot to slot 2 feature.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there was an app I think called gba switch or switch gba that boots slot 2 into gba mode from slot 1 cart. I thought that it kept the gba frame from R4/M3, but it didn't, only if there is an actual gba cart in slot 2 will the frame appear as of my results. If you want the .nds gba switch file I will upload it to you so you can try for yourself? I searched for the file here on gbatemp, but I couldn't find it anymore. I originally downed it from here.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody listened to him...
frown.gif
He wants to use the border that the R4 uses on GBA games with his slot 2 cart. I'm pretty sure he is aware of alternative ways of making it go into GBA mode, he just wants the border. And the answer to this is that there is no way at this time to make the R4 boot those carts into GBA mode with its boot to slot 2 feature.

Ahh...I see. Yeah, I had my bro jabbering in my ear when I read this thread, sorry.

I've noticed that the GBA frame doesn't work with slot2 flashcarts too. I wish I knew how to get around that because I really like the frame. Maybe if the slot2 card's firmware was somehow hacked to never boot to DS mode, maybe that would work? Like if the slot2 card wasn't capable of DS functionality at all and would only work as a GBA game/app/homebrew cart? Then maybe the GBAframe would work when you clicked "boot slot2" because the card wasn't capable of DS mode.

Are there any slot2 carts that even work that way?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back