PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From my limited knowledge of this, I think .elf and .dol work the same way, and most exploits (I know Bannerbomb does for sure) can load either. What exploit are you using to do this? If it doesn't support .elf files, see if you can find a .dol of the installer, or if there's a different way you're supposed to use the exploit. Or, if you never even tried, just try installing the .elf the same way you'd install a .dol.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
There isn't a reason to mess with that. The hackmii installer only comes as an elf file for a reason. Not all exploits load dol files, but they all support elf files.

You need to follow ModMii instead of doing this on your own.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
terminal_illness said:
elf and dol are the same thing, i rename .elf to .dol all the time and they still work fine. exploits read .elfs or dols. well any one ive used that is. (bannerbomb smashstack twilight hack)
Most of the others only read boot.elf (which is annoying because I have to make a lot of changes to a guide of mine if I want to add disc exploits). The two (elf and dol) are not the same thing. If they were, the HBC could launch any elf app renamed to dol, but it can't.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the boot.elf does not work, get LoadMii. And then boot the boot.elf from LoadMii.

terminal_illness said:
elf and dol are the same thing, i rename .elf to .dol all the time and they still work fine. exploits read .elfs or dols. well any one ive used that is. (bannerbomb smashstack twilight hack)

They are not the same, and the code required to load them is different. I guess the exploit you used detects the type by it's content and not by the filename.

QUOTE(DeadlyFoez @ May 15 2011, 12:30 PM) If I'm not mistaken, but I think the .elf is meant to be run from bootmii (MINI) itself.

I just downloaded it to check, there's a boot.elf and a bootmini.elf. According to the readme bootmini.elf is meant for BootMii boot2 users that don't want to mess with IOS.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
If the boot.elf does not work, get LoadMii. And then boot the boot.elf from LoadMii.There is no reason for the boot.elf from the hackmii installer not to load properly. We need more details from the OP, because this is likely user error.

WiiPower said:
terminal_illness said:

They are not the same, and the code required to load them is different. I guess the exploit you used detects the type by it's content and not by the filename.They detect by filename. Bannerbomb searches for boot.dol on the SD card. If it is not there, it checks for boot.elf. A few others do the same thing, although I don't remember if it is in the same order.

QUOTE(WiiPower @ May 15 2011, 06:42 AM) QUOTE(DeadlyFoez @ May 15 2011, 12:30 PM)
If I'm not mistaken, but I think the .elf is meant to be run from bootmii (MINI) itself.

I just downloaded it to check, there's a boot.elf and a bootmini.elf. According to the readme bootmini.elf is meant for BootMii boot2 users that don't want to mess with IOS.
Bootmini.elf is a way for 4.3 users to install the HBC without a disc exploit. It requires that you have bootmii as boot2 installed already. You launch it through the SD menu of bootmii. It can also be launched from bootmii as IOS, but if you can load that it means you already have homebrew capable of loading boot.elf.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Lots of apps that load .elf and .dol files only care about the filename until the file is loaded into a buffer. And then with the result of this function "valid_elf_image", it's determined if the .elf or the .dol loading code is used. Well that's just the code i use, but it's the one i copied from ftpii and i have seen other loaders use the same.

ShinyJellicent12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I am having a problem with is that none of the .dol/.elf files are showing up on my SD card.
They are in the root directory, so what's wrong?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
helloworld12321 said:
What I am having a problem with is that none of the .dol/.elf files are showing up on my SD card.
They are in the root directory, so what's wrong?
Lol, how are you trying to load it? You must not know what you are doing, so follow the ModMii guide. It's stickied.

ShinyJellicent12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I go to the SD card menu, and nothing shows up in the 20 channels it has.
Also, I tried with my flash drive but that doesn't even show up

--merged--

Am I doing something wrong with the SD card?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You do have the correct version of Bannerbomb on the SD card?
If you are on 4.1/Lower you need to go to the Data Management -> Wii -> SD card instead of the SD card menu.

If you are on 4.3, bannerbomb won't work, and you'll need to use another exploit.

Also make sure the is NO boot.dol file in the SD card root, only a boot.elf from the hackmii installer.

ShinyJellicent12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is one channel on my SD that is a question mark and cannot be copied/moved/erased
--
I got it to work but it says Error 004
The system files are corrupted
--
Now what do I do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: