Hardware Boom Street on vWii 4.3E — how to enable 480p on vWii ONLY, leaving 720p on Wii U mode?

zapzupnz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
First time poster, long time lurker ...

Today, I received my copy of Boom Street (Fortune Street in the US). I was excited to play it on my Wii U, however...

My Wii U is set to 720p over component cables. When I enter vWii, it switches to 480i. Now, normally this isn’t a problem — I mean, everybody knows vWii looks like something that died, just like Wii did, it’s fine.

However, Boom Street refuses to load unless run in 60Hz or EDTV mode, which in practical terms means 480p.

How can I run vWii in 480p so that Boom Street will run without having to switch the Wii U side over to 480p as well? I mean, I can tolerate vWii look like buttocks, but I don’t really want the Wii U side to suffer. Plus, it’s a pain to have to switch between modes all the time.

(For information purposes, I do have an HDMI cable. I just don’t use it because another device uses the /one/ HDMI slot on this TV. This is why I use component cables. If needs be, I can get an HDMI->VGA adapter for either the Wii U or the other device.)

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You can't.

Pray that Iwata will make the glorious backwards compatibility better and fix 480p and add Wii U GamePad support to Classic Controller enabled games. Oh, wait. It's not going to happen. :(

zapzupnz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ah. That's a bit of a shame. I bought Boom Street for the purpose of going legit, as it's about the only game I played with a USB Loader. I was hoping to restore vWii back to factory, back into a non-modded state (or as near as one can get).

Edit: Actually, never mind. shinkodachi, you were right insofar as I can't ... on component cables. I just switched the Wii U to HDMI, and wouldn't you know it, it loads vWii in 480p mode. Boom Street's working!

Sorry guys, non-issue. But thanks for the input nonetheless.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First time poster, long time lurker ...

Today, I received my copy of Boom Street (Fortune Street in the US). I was excited to play it on my Wii U, however...

My Wii U is set to 720p over component cables. When I enter vWii, it switches to 480i. Now, normally this isn’t a problem — I mean, everybody knows vWii looks like something that died, just like Wii did, it’s fine.

However, Boom Street refuses to load unless run in 60Hz or EDTV mode, which in practical terms means 480p.

How can I run vWii in 480p so that Boom Street will run without having to switch the Wii U side over to 480p as well? I mean, I can tolerate vWii look like buttocks, but I don’t really want the Wii U side to suffer. Plus, it’s a pain to have to switch between modes all the time.

(For information purposes, I do have an HDMI cable. I just don’t use it because another device uses the /one/ HDMI slot on this TV. This is why I use component cables. If needs be, I can get an HDMI->VGA adapter for either the Wii U or the other device.)

For future reference, please don't post in dark blue. It's impossible to read with Tempstyle DARK.

zapzupnz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I didn't specifically post in dark blue. I didn't apply any colour settings to my post whatsoever. I left those completely default. Dark blue must be the default style for the board.

To illustrate this, I just used a digital colour meter to examine my text, your text, and shinkodachi's text: all the same colour.

I'll edit the original post for visibility though. :-)

Edit: could have been a bug. Might be something to take up with the Site Discussion subforum?

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't specifically post in dark blue. I didn't apply any colour settings to my post whatsoever. I left those completely default. Dark blue must be the default style for the board.

To illustrate this, I just used a digital colour meter to examine my text, your text, and shinkodachi's text: all the same colour.

I'll edit the original post for visibility though. :-)

Edit: could have been a bug. Might be something to take up with the Site Discussion subforum?

Hmmmm that is strange.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.