Books

Are you cracking books? Outside of required school books...

• Yeah, thank god for the Gutenberg press

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I Fahrenheit 451 books for fun.

• Yeah I read books. WTF is the Gutenberg press ?

• No reading here, WTF is Fahrenheit 451 tho?

• Total voters

PBC

What!? I can change this??
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just haven't seen many people talking about books that they read on this site. Which isn't very surprising I guess. Video games are like the anti-book, at least for me.
Books on the DS from Moonbooks count by the way =) I dare say that comic books don't...

I'm currently in the middle of three separate books right now. I'll give a short bit about each of them...and I'd like if people could recommend other books for when I get through one of these...

1. Easter Rising by Michael Patrick Macdonald: A non-fiction following the life of a young boy growing up in the southside Irish slums of Boston. Set during the late 70s and early 80s the author tells of how we grew up in this despairing neighborhood. He loses 4 siblings during his life growing up as a "Southie". Its full of the struggle of his mother and very large family living in a pretty desperate time. He throws himself into the budding punk-rock movement of The clash, Mission to Burma...and tries to escape his unfortunate surroundings. I'm more than 1/3rd of my way into the book which is enough for me to know that I'm going to keep coming back to it everyday. Its a very insightful story of poverty, passion, and perseverance. Excuse all the P alliteration...now I sound like a dust-jacket.

2. Musicophilia By Oliver Sacks: Dr. Sacks is a neurologist who has written many books about his unique patients over his many years of practicing. I had previously read 2 of his books, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and another I'm going to forget. Musicophilia is more specifically about his dealing with Music and the Brain. Imagine your favorite song in your head right now, you can kinda hear it right?? Well if you were half of the patients in this book you would ACTUALLY hear it, right down to the neurons firing in your brain. For all intensive purposes it IS really play and you wouldn't be able to turn it off. And it might not be your favorite song...but a song you heard when you were seven...and you wouldn't even realize that you are thinking of the song you would be looking for the radio instead. The human mind is an amazing thing. This book delves into everything to do with the brain and it's special affinity for music. The brain treats music unlike anything else. I could remember most of a song hearing it once, but I would be at a loss describing a picture just seeing it once. This may not be a really good example but its true to a point. This book isn't written just about people with psychosis, not just the old, not just the hard of hearing. This book is filled with stories of everyday people who perhaps got a concussion, had a stroke, or just plain wake up one day to realize that their mind is filled with music. The music is different for everyone, could be something the mind is composing or something you had only heard once. It could all make sense or be completely out of tune and form. It is quite the fascinating book for me since I've always been able to play back songs pretty clearly in my head. The thought that people don't realize the music is in their head is the strangest part of some of these stories. Anyway...psychology/neurology is kinda my education and music is really my main hobby so this book is quite appealing to me.

3. A Remarkable Mother By Jimmy Carter: This is a book I bought for my Mom for mothers day, but I'm hiding it for now and reading it in the meantime. Jimmy Carter, I wish he has the president when I was younger. He would have inspired this generation, but instead we were exposed to the damn media Lewinsky scandal that had nothing to do with politics and was more akin to a McCarthy witch hunt and the horrible era of bush and the aftershock which will become of his idiotic international policy. I'm so disappointed in politics these days. I've known nothing else, but still I expect alot more. But anyway... I hardly knew how great of a person he was until I researched him. He was a true democratic president. A great leader and a forward thinker. I'm sure he made some mistakes. His recent work in the middle east was not a mistake at all. He was the greatest human rights focused president for both Americans and aboard. This book isn't so much about him but about his mother. He grew up humble and well-grounded thanks to his mothers teachings of peace and attention to the greater public good. She attended the first major league game that Jackie Robinson played in. Living in the south she was without prejudice. She was a nurse and a social butterfly. I have not read too far into this book but I'm so inspired by Jimmy Carter that I had to read alittle about a history that extends beyond himself. My mom likes Jimmy Carter as well, and I'm sure she will appreciate this book.

Well damn, I didn't even mean to write that much. Chances are if you aren't reading a book you probably don't care what I was reading either. But anyway, I'd love to hear what other people are reading!
Maybe I was just warming up to do a real book review on the Moonbooks site...you all know they are giving away some new Itouch DS flash carts right???
There...I finally got your attention.

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently reading a lot of Robert Ludlum's books. They are all action-thrillers.
I also suggest John Grisham books. They are also action-thrillers but most of them have to do with lawyers/law firms and such.

For the people who don't know, Fahrenheit 451 is a book about censorship. Some people like it, some people don't; It's one of those either you like it or you hate it kind of things.

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey PBC! I read lots of books, just fun ones for pleasure. I love the Harry Potter (who doesn't?) and the series of Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz. I also recently read Geeks, a book about two kids who rode the internet out of Idaho and Speak, a touching book about a girl growing up.

PBC

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iffy525 said:
I'm currently reading a lot of Robert Ludlum's books. They are all action-thrillers.
I also suggest John Grisham books. They are also action-thrillers but most of them have to do with lawyers/law firms and such.

For the people who don't know, Fahrenheit 451 is a book about censorship. Some people like it, some people don't; It's one of those either you like it or you hate it kind of things.

The reason behind the name Fahrenheit 451 is that supposedly a page will catch on fire when you bring it up to that temperature... I loved the book. The idea of fire fighters of the future running into your house and taking a flamethrower to your bookcase...now THAT is censorship at its finest! But no really, great book.
Haven't heard of Robert Ludlum but maybe I should and I think I've read a John Grisham book before, I'm trying like hell to remember it now.

How does one ride the Internet?? Is it like how people say they are standing "on line" when they are really standing "In line". ?? And for some reason when you described Speak as a touching book I thought you were talking about braille. Man....I need to sleep. Thanks for the replies

PS. The Gutenberg press was the first printer basically. It used movable type, IE individual letters laid down, painted with ink and then pressed onto paper. It made the mass production of reading material possible for the first time without someone having to handwrite a copy for you. I think the first book ever mass produced with it was the bible.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I am.
I've been reading a book from the Redwall series.
smile.gif

I've been rather busy lately, with school, friends (one of my friends just got his license and car; joy ridin' whoo!), video games, and GBAtemp (News, The Temper Post, Flashcart review, etc.). I've had to hold off on reading it, though I can't say it isn't good so far.

It's called Mossflower. The second book in the Redwall series (I'd accidentally skipped it a while back), and it is good so far.
I've read but 60 pages or so, and can't wait to find some time to relax and read through it.

It's about a kingdom of cats trying to control Mossflower country, and the rebellion of the woodland creatures that live there.
laugh.gif

Oh, and it only cost $4.99 for a new hardback copy, which I think is a great deal!

That post probably sounded dumb as shit. It's almost 2 AM, so cut me some slack!
tongue.gif

drock360

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JPH said:
It's called Mossflower. The second book in the Redwall series (I'd accidentally skipped it a while back), and it is good so far.
I've read but 60 pages or so, and can't wait to find some time to relax and read through it.

It's about a kingdom of cats trying to control Mossflower country, and the rebellion of the woodland creatures that live there.
laugh.gif

Oh, and it only cost $4.99 for a new hardback copy, which I think is a great deal!

That post probably sounded dumb as shit. It's almost 2 AM, so cut me some slack!
tongue.gif

I've read all of the Redwall books up to High Rhulain. Man that brings back good memories.
smile.gif

The early books were hella good but I didn't like the later ones as much.

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The best books I have ever read have got to be Matthew Reilly's books. They are just absolutely fantastic and are so hard to put down i finished a 500 page book in three nights >.>.

You just have to read one, his latest ones are the best.

PBC

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of the redwall series before, think one of my friends got into the series awhile back. Sounds like a good read though. I've been reading too many serious books lately. Maybe I need some fantasy adventure. We all appresiate your work on the Temper post and such! So i'll cut you slack if you can't write a big long review at the drop of a dime =x Anyway. its 3am here. my last post of the night.

Ps. Nice responses. I'll be back tomorrow to go through the rest. I'll be adding alot of new authors to my list.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I wanna be a firewoman
I'll water down your desire
'Cause I know this love is a killer
I wanna put out your fire​

Book burnin' book burnin'... I am a fireman/woman.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My library is actually better than the school libraries or the public libraries. I don't claim to have tens of thousands of books, merely the right ones if you actually need to know something useful.

I've actually had several nieces and nephews laugh at their schoolmates during project work. They don't rush to the school library to score the one or two books everyone will be wanting, they just go and visit their uncle who has better references
smile.gif

In fiction, I have all the big names of course of scifi and fantasy. I've got a military history reference that is immense. But science is my true love.

Knowledge is power. Never forget that. It's the difference between "do you want fries with that" and "sorry Jenkins, I'm going to have to let you go". You can either be the uneducated slob, or you can be the person hiring or firing people.
Books give you that edge.

All I know, I didn't learn on the internet, or a computer.

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My Mom used to own and run a small bookstore and works as a librarian these days. So yes, I literally own hundreds of books (if not thousands, I've never counted them), because she has both instilled a love for all things written in me _and_ enables me to actually get pretty much any book I could ever want.

I'm a huge fan of hard science fiction. None of that space opera crap, my favorites would be basically anything written by Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, Neal Stephenson and Bruce Sterling, to name just a few. But I'm not limited to SF, I also read classic literate, crime, thriller and so on. I've just finished reading Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" last week and will finish Terry Pratchett's "Thud" this weekend.
And then there's non-fiction, mostly IT, history and communications literature.

As a matter of fact, I haven't really used my NDS much recently, because I've spend my rides to and from work (where I do most of my NDS gaming) reading.

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lately, im reading the His Dark Materials trilogy, and some Drittz books on the side.

Im in the middle of the 3rd book of His Dark Materials, and it's pretty good so far, but I don't really like what they did with Mary (well where she goes from Citagazz' (SP?) and what she encounter there), but im really curious how it's will connect with Lyra and Will at the end of the book.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Andrew Vachss, Joe R Lansdale, Robert Rankin, Terry Pratchett (shame about the Alzheimer's
frown.gif
), Neil Gaiman, Philip K Dick (VALIS is essential reading for fans of "Lost"), P G Wodehouse, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ...

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm currently reading Artemis Fowl.

One of my pet peeves are people who hate reading... That happens a lot at my school. >.>

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reading American Psycho. I just finished Deadeye Dick from Vonnegut and Fast Food Nation. I read during my morning commute on the ferry.

Bishang

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I read books, mostly because of school, but I read some on my own. Of course I've read all the Harry Potter books :], and I've finished reading the Twilight series. I love it and can't wait until the movie comes out. I hope it won't be some crappy interpretation like what I heard Eragon was.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night