Hacking Bookmarking and migrating from SXOS to Atmosphere 1.0 Tutorial

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all! I know there has been a lot of topics about migrating but I hope this serves to help those who wish to bookmark their SXOS install and continue with Atmosphere for 12+ FW games.

Offline switch only

SXOS
- Certain new titles (and more and more titles coming out) REQUIRE the SDK 12 (or above) FW to run. SXOS will NOT launch these games EVEN IF PATCHED TO A LOWER FW. This is critical information

Bookmark? - Bookmark means to keep your current SXOS stuff in tact and all your current SXOS SD cards but switch to an Atmos SD card for 12+ FW games. Now before anyone gets into anything about (you can do multiple emunands or anything fancy like that, I know... But this is a simple way for those who want to just keep all their SXOS stuff and use a new memory card for Atmosphere. We will be keeping SXOS as is on your sysnand and creating an emunand for atmos.

First and foremost a shoutout goes to Mikey420 for helping with this!! He was very patient with me and we figured out these steps together. Dude is an expert!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- You will use a payload injector (PC, dongle, RCM.. whatever) I use the RCMloader because it allows you to have multiple payloads on a single portable thing
- Download the latest Atmosphere and Hekate. Pop both on a brand new brand name SD card.
- Use the Hekate payload to launch into Hekate.
- Follow these instructions to create an emunand. https://switch.homebrew.guide/emummc/emummc.html

What the above is doing is creating a new partition on the SD card and copying ALL your sysnand stuff onto that partition. The switch will now have the ability to boot the system from the SD card and you are in a completely emulated switch OS running off the SD card. You should be able to verify after booting into the emunand that you are on 11.0.0 (The latest supported SXOS) with an "E" after it.
- Turn off the switch
- download the latest Switch firmware on your PC (not sure if allowed to link here) In my case it was 12.1.0 and extract it to a folder on your new SD card. I just put it into a folder called firmware
- RCM back into Hekate and into your emunand
- Go into album and choose daybreak
- Follow the instructions to update the FW. Fat32+ exfat option. Now, this step is CRITICAL! ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL! You NEED to say factory reset. If you do NOT it will carry over some SXOS garbage and will NOT boot NSP's. Something carries over from the SXOS sysnand and I REPEAT WILL NOT BOOT NSP's.
-
Once its done it will reboot into Hekate and you can boot your emunand again. It takes longer than usual. This is normal for a first boot.
- The switch will start up like a brand new switch. Follow the prompts and set it up as new
- It will throw a message on screen that says "The SD card is from another switch and data needs to be deleted" That's ok, delete the data. Reboot into Emunand
- Power off the switch and download the latest syspatches onto your PC and copy them onto the SD card
- RMC back into your emunand with Hekate
- Install tinfoil and install your NSP's!

Use your RCM SXOS payload with your SXOS SD cards to boot back into SXOS mode. Back the Hekate and emunand for Atmosphere. Best of both worlds!

Now I know there might be other ways of doing this, but as someone who wanted to just keep everything how it was, this was the solution for me. Again, big thanks to Mikey420!

Hope this helps others who wish to do this!

Last edited by viper3344,
Reactions: bundangdon

cavadavi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you, your guide it is written clearly.
I have an erista switch not patched, with SXOS running on a SD emunand file (not a partition).
I would like to switch to atmosphere emunand (in a different SD partition?) by keeping my SXOS emunand working. Is it possible on the same SD memory card?
Am I wrong, or your guide is only for SXOS on sysnand?

Last edited by cavadavi,

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, your guide it is written clearly.
I have an erista switch not patched, with SXOS running on a SD emunand file (not a partition).
I would like to switch to atmosphere emunand (in a different SD partition?) by keeping my SXOS emunand working. Is it possible on the same SD memory card?
Am I wrong, or your guide is only for SXOS on sysnand?
Correct! Sysnand SXOS and emunand atmo. I would hit up mikefor20. He is the expert when it comes to SX AND Atmo each on a sysnand.

docgold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I have the NS Athmosphere Injector but can't use it cause I don't have neither android nor windows. Is there any payload injector for linux?

docgold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I have currently no USB-C cable so I have to rely on NS Athmosphere dongle injector. Can I use the mentioned payload injector with this dongle?
Edit: Looks like it is not supported. Device is not found.

Btw, there is an ns-atmosphere-programmer-ubuntu-64bit-v01.zip for this dongle. Here is the tutorial.
Code:
-  Plug the Payload Injector Dongle into  your Ubuntu Desktop computer.
-  Double press the **RST** button, make sure the `work LED ` shine PINK
-  unzip the download file on your ubuntu desktop, and get execution permission `sudo chmod +x NS-Atmosphere`
-  Run `sudo ./NS-Atmosphere`
-  Choose the serial Port `ttyACMO`, click `Write`
I get this error message:
Code:
admin@laptop:~/Switch$ sudo ./NS-Atmosphere
./NS-Atmosphere: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
No clue how to solve this. Any ideas?

Last edited by docgold,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have currently no USB-C cable so I have to rely on NS Athmosphere dongle injector. Can I use the mentioned payload injector with this dongle?
Edit: Looks like it is not supported. Device is not found.

Btw, there is an ns-atmosphere-programmer-ubuntu-64bit-v01.zip for this dongle. Here is the tutorial.
Code:
-  Plug the Payload Injector Dongle into  your Ubuntu Desktop computer.
-  Double press the **RST** button, make sure the `work LED ` shine PINK
-  unzip the download file on your ubuntu desktop, and get execution permission `sudo chmod +x NS-Atmosphere`
-  Run `sudo ./NS-Atmosphere`
-  Choose the serial Port `ttyACMO`, click `Write`
I get this error message:
Code:
admin@laptop:~/Switch$ sudo ./NS-Atmosphere
./NS-Atmosphere: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
No clue how to solve this. Any ideas?
You are missing the libraries. If you google "libpng12.so" there are tons of tutorials to fix this error.

Good luck

ckenni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this. This is exactly what I need because I was holding off on migrating to Atmosphere from SXOS since I still want to retain/bookmark SXOS for my HDD.

Just one question before I work on doing this, having had to use Choidojour to update my Switch in the past does not have any significance in this process right? I've read on some other tutorials that that may cause some issues but I'm not sure why. Thank you

DrExcess

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried following this several times now but unfortunately it always fails. I am able to install upgrade the firmware, but after relaunching and it telling me the sd card needs to be refreshed etc when it loads back up there is an error and the SD card cannot be read. I've reformatted, I've tried different payloads, i've tried FAT32, EXFat, I've tried literally every option, it always fails if I do the factory reset.

I's after this step: "The SD card is from another switch and data needs to be deleted" That's ok, delete the data. Reboot into Emunand

Prior to updating via daybreak and on the original firmware, it's reading the SD card just fine.

Last edited by DrExcess,

MacuCo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Will this work for Mariko's?

I was searching for multi boot using different SD's, and this is perfect for my needs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over