Book Galore!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Cablephish, Dec 4, 2008.

Dec 4, 2008

Book Galore! by Cablephish at 11:44 PM (1,001 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Cablephish
    OP

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    Recently, I have become an avid reader. I've found myself reading a lot of literature, and I've come to recommend some. If you've read any of it, tell me how you liked it, and/or disliked it. I want to start a GBAtemp Bookclub!

lol jokes, but tell me about the books you've read.

Anyone heard of Ender's Game?

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I haven't read ender's game yet, but I will pick it up soon.

Please don't flame me, but one of my favorite books at this moment is Skulduggery Pleasant. It's a children's book, but still...

3. Cablephish
    OP

Canada
    lol, babysteps. Doesn't matter what kinds of books, as long as they're composed of words, and punctuation, and perhaps full of rhetorical devices.

For winter break I picked up Wyvern from school and I'm gonna read it, but I was wondering about other people's thoughts on the book, for any who have read it.

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I haven't read a book in so long.. My college has a pretty huge library, but I wouldn't know where to start for fiction.

Anybody got a couple recommendations?

5. Cablephish
    OP

Canada
    Depends on your preference. If you like fiction, Flowers For Algernon is a good, quick read. I liked it myself, and I cried at the end. I was actually really sad. You should definitely check it out.

6. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Read the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Discworld series.

MUST. READ.

7. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    Flowers For Algernon was good yea, read it in 9th grade. There was this really good book I read a while ago. I will have to try to figure what it was called again.

I can not remember many of the books I have read but I shall give back to you.

8. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    +1 to Flowers for Algernon. I also recommend The Crucible.

As for science fiction, I always loved the Harry Potter books (much better than the movies).

9. valyr

Member valyr GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i do most of my reading on my ds, in fact i keep a seperate 2gb microsd just for my library
    i currently have around 750 sci-fi, horror, and fantasy books on it authors include:

piers anthony - 8 books
    terry brooks - 25 books
    trudi canavan - 6 books
    jo clayton - 3 books
    elaine cunningham -2 books
    david eddings - 26 books
    david farland - 7 books
    forgotten realms various authors - 154 books
    maggie furey - 7 books
    david gemmel - 29 books
    robin hobb - 12 books
    j v jones - 7 books
    katherine kerr - 15 books

this is only a partial list lol i couldnt be bothered to type out the whole lot tonight

10. Cablephish
    OP

Canada
    Woah, how you do that? What do you use?

I used to read scripts for movies on the internet on a Palm Pilot, but I never knew you can do that with the DS.

Tell me how!

Also, there are a couple of good books people have been reading in my class, like:

1984, George Orwell - A distopian future sort of book, which connects present society by means of speculative fiction

A Brave New World, Aldous Huxley - Same concept.^^^

A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving - If you don't like reading, you can watch the movie, but the book is a million times better, as usually seen in movie adaptations of books.

11. valyr

Member valyr GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    there are several ebook reader progs for the ds lol
    my personal fave is dsreader (get it here)

as for books this prog uses plain text files so they're easy to get hold of or make yourself from other formats
    i.e copy & paste lol

12. Cablephish
    OP

Canada
    I'm thinking of making a monthly book review or something. I know books are way more boring than video games, but it's all good in moderation, yeah? Give me your opinions!

13. Svarun

Newcomer Svarun Newbie

Slovenia
    Heh, I guess you didn't red a lot of books if you think they are boring [​IMG]. Maybe you don't read the ones that suit your taste best.

War: Harry Potter ain't really science fiction, more like fantasy if you want to categorize it.

So, I made a pretty crappy second post on this forum, picking on everyone. So let's try it again huh [​IMG]

A few recommendations (mainly Sci-fi and fantasy)

- A Song of Ice and Fire saga (George Martin) - probably the best ongoing fantasy saga there is
    - Legend (David Gemmell) - easy-reading hack n' slash with some pretty fine story
    - Perdido Street Station (China Mieville)
    - Life of Pi (Yann Martel) - great book
    - The Stand (Stephen King) - probably one of the best books I ever red
    - Call of Cthulhu and other Weird Tales (H.P. Lovecraft) - very fine collection of Lovecraft's short stories + his classic Call of Cthulhu
    - 1984 and Animal Farm (George Orwell) - great books, but I wouldn't recommend to start with them

I think this would be a nice gateway point for everyone. I hope some of you would write this year to Santa for some books instead of games [​IMG]. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE gaming, but you should try something else at least once in a while to widen your horizons.

Sorry for my crappy english [​IMG]

I can type more recommendations if anyone is interested.

14. Calafas

Member Calafas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    That would be a great idea :]
    I love reading, and if you wanted, i would be glad to write up a book review or two every month or whenever?

If you really want to start a book review section here, send me a pm and we can discuss it or something?

(I read alot, and sometimes prefer reading to gaming when I find a book with a great story! :])

Edit : How has nobody mentioned the His Dark Materials books by Phillip Pullman? Great books, the film was a *rreally* big disappointment.