Boeing 777 from Amsterdam shot down near the Russian border, 295 dead

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GBA rocks, Jul 17, 2014.

1. GBA rocks
    OP

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013

2. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    inb4 the Americans did it

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, of course not.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It should be noted that A) There's no verified proof that this plane was actually shot down, and B) This isn't WW3, stop with the fear mongering :rolleyes:

5. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Get out our weapons and attack the air like Caligula did the ocean, if the sky wants war it shall have it !

6. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    My deepest condolences to the families and friends of passengers and crew.

Damn, 2 accidents in less than a year.

7. Kane49
    This message by Kane49 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Jul 17, 2014, Reason: spam.
    Jul 17, 2014
  8. GBA rocks
    OP

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    The [WW3?] was an attention catcher and a sad joke, not to be taken literally.

Still, let's wait to see how many NATO-countries citizens (I guess at least a couple of Dutchmen flying to Malaysia for summer vacations) are on the passenger list. In the end it will probably be shrugged off as a "terrible tragedy, an accident" from both sides to avoid escalation (and Malaysia Airlines will be blamed for choosing that route), but surely this doesn't help the Western attitude towards the Russian government that allegedly handed the separatists a couple of these babies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reuters is reporting 23 US citizens were onboard..

edit
    this is "fake" (as in, it's real but it's another plane):

http://videoyr.s3.amazonaws.com/sd/145762.mp4

9. ieatpixels

ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    was just watching this on the news, they showed clips of telephone conversations with the people involved in the attack. I find it shocking that 2 people's personal conversation can make global news without their permission. (I know they did something very bad, but it still shocks me)

I hope there's some payback to be had, 28 Australians were killed.
    Dutch people are great, too.
    (Though I haven't heard both sides of the story, did the attackers know it was a civilian aircraft? I think they may have thought it was someone attacking them.)

10. GBA rocks
    OP

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    This is the intercepted conversation ("Major" and "Greek" are codenames used by the 2 pro-Russian separatists)

I'd say their "privacy" is the least of the concerns in this kind of situation.
    Phone conversations make the news for a lot less than this.

11. ibis_87

ibis_87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2009
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    The plane allegedly was shot down buy a "Buk" missile system (SS-11 Gadfly by the NATO classification). Even if we suppose Russia did handle one of those to Novorossia (the new country formed from the former Donetsk and Lugansk regions of Ukraine), they need serious external targeting system to work, at least the "Kupol" (by the NATO classification, "Long Arm") targeting radar and ideally a command center as well. Novorossia doesn't have those. But by a lucky chance, the Ukrainian army has.

12. GBA rocks
    OP

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    This guy has good points:

http://inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.c...ssile-and-why-this-mean-the-rebels-have-lost/

From point 4 I gather that the Buk doesn't actually "need" an external radar support, being already equipped with a rudimental radar targeting system. Operators from a command center with serious radar systems would have probably told it was a civilian airliner. Trigger happy rebels didn't. It's not like it's the first plane they shot down in the last few weeks. I see little need to imagine an hoax orchestrated by the Kiev government.

13. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    is it surely shot down at this point, or still just supposedly shot down?

14. ibis_87

ibis_87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2009
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    Well, the guy doesn't give any reasoning why the Ukrainean couldn't have shot the plane. It's a full-fledged civil war, the army of Ukraine is nothing like the US or even the Russian army, it's been underfinanced for years and lacks any serious skill, but has the fully operational Buk systems, not just SAMs. The probability of a tragic accident is quite high.

15. GBA rocks
    OP

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    Were the rebels even using airplanes at all? Was Ukraine expecting them from the air?

I gather there's a party with air superiority (Kiev) and a party who had been actively defending its airspace in the preceding weeks (rebels).

And a plane essentially flying "away" from Ukraine, not towards it.

And superior radar systems that could have probably told the radar footprint of a civilian airliner.

I find the chance of tragic accident on the Kiev side to be much slimmer.

US intelligence (who reached out to a couple of American media outlets), Kiev govt, Putin, UN emergency meeting, all have spoken like they're 100% sure it's been shot down, and specifically by a missile.
    That's out of question.
    There will be an international investigation to determine how and who.

16. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    wouldnt be that suprises it this conversation is between two vmans to fire up the hate toward ukraine/russia.

17. ibis_87

ibis_87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 11, 2009
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    Surely, Ukraine doesn't expect Novorossia to have any usable military aviation, but they surely are on the fence about us (Russia) using our aviation. It's not bragging, but everyone surely understands the Ukrainian airforce is not even comparable to Russian. So some hothead might have gone ahead and shoot down what he thought was a Russian military plane while he could. As for the phone call record the Western media keep producing as a proof of Novorossia's army doing the thing - a fake of that level is made really easily, the international investigation is the thing needed.

18. GBA rocks
    OP

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
  19. AsPika2219

AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Jun 17, 2010
    Malaysia
    Cats City
    Stupid Terrorism Pro Russia! Why they destroy Malaysia owned plane? :angry:
    For who destroyed airplane, must to be brought to justice right now!!!

Information about MH17, please visit Wikipedia website here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_17

Meanwhile, please change the title which total of passengers and crews are 298, not 295? Thank you!

Satangel likes this.
  20. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    The way we are handling this is unacceptable in my opinion. We're acting like pussies, plain and simple.
    Should've sent NATO forces to the crash site immediately IMHO, to block the area off and make sure nothing was stolen, these guys are made for situations like this.
    They are also a neutral force, not pro Russia or pro Ukraine.

Now the ones who shot the plane down, removed so much evidence and probably stole so much luggage, it sickens my mind. We're acting like complete pussies towards Russia.
    Say what you want about America, but if it were nearly 200 Americans dead, they would already have boots on the ground, simple as that.

21. AsPika2219

AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Jun 17, 2010
    Malaysia
    Cats City
    To pro Russian, thanks for bring back the 2 black box to Malaysia! :bow: Because is more important about what happen on MH17 when flight into war zone before crash down. Plus, this is second time Malaysia plane got trouble after missing MH370 somewhere at Southern Indian Ocean.... :sad: Still searching right now.