Bob's Saga continues; contract with Chinese firm?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    [​IMG]

"We've been following the Bob's Game drama for a while now, and it's just taken another weird/potentially controversial turn. After sealing himself in his bedroom (see: above) in a bid to obtain a development kit from Nintendo, Bob's Game creator Robert Pelloni recently threatened to release his "masterpiece" on a DSi-compatible flash cart, thus "significantly cut[ting] into Nintendo's bottom line."

Now, in a selectbutton forum thread, Pelloni claims that a Chinese firm has approached him and offered to release Bob's Game on a flash cart, and says that a distribution deal with Wal-Mart could be on the cards.

Pelloni argues that such a move means both parties win: he gets his game onto store shelves, while the mysterious Chinese company has a legitimate reason to sell a flash cart in a major retailer. We would argue that his actions are quickly severing any potential future ties that could exist between himself and Nintendo.

We also advise giving the thread in question a quick read, if only for the part where Pelloni indirectly compares himself to Shigeru Miyamoto."

Source

2. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    dang. why is he so persistent -.-

btw. how would walmart permit some chinese company to sell flashcarts?
    they ARE illegal afterall.

3. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Lol he needs to be careful, that company could easily steal his game, give him no money and sell it for just their own profit.

4. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Hey isn't that like how all crooked business deals does it these days. I won't be surprised if that happen

5. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Flashcarts are not illegal for the billionth time. Playing ROM's that you do not own the original game for is however (99.99% of flashcarts are used for this). He has a slim chance now that Nintendo picks him up but I highly doubt it as he is acting like a small child.

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. places like wallmart could simply refuse to sell the game if nintendo paid them enough.

7. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    This guy has ego issues, the game looks nice could be brilliant but we'll probably never know. If it is released by the mysterious Chinese company I would be interested to see how well it's received.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    "I know, I will try to gain the respect and favor of a Japanese company by exhibiting extreme NEET / hikikomori / autistic behavior. Surely this will end well!

No? Well then I will make a contract with a Chinese company and ignore the the Nintendo seal of quality and any legal precedents. They are Chinese bootleggers and say they can get it on Wallmart shelves, so surely I can trust these men!"

The guy is desperate. As far as legal precedence though, it might be fair game. They don't need to be flash carts, but the biggest likelihood is cheap ROMs. We have seen bootleg DS games in the wild, it's not beyond the ability of Chinese bootleggers.

Wrong. Come on tinymonkeyt I expect better. [​IMG]

9. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Lol this is getting exciting. It feels as if I'm reading a book, and a new chapter is being written every few days.
    Seriously, I think all this guy wants to do is to release his work and earn some money. It's not only Rob being stupid - Nintendo's no different. Just give him the damn nitrospk.

10. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    im pretty sure having the cart itself is illegal in some countries
    or maybe im just delusional in the wee hours of the night

and with the recent lawsuit Nintendo filed against the R4 company
    (if flashcarts are not illegal, how can nintendo sue R4 for the production of it?)
    i'd doubt walmart wants to be involved with bobs game anyway

11. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    Because R4 used copyrighted code to bypass the health and safety screen

12. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    There has been no actual lawsuit yet afaik. Just Nintendo talking big. In law there is something called "precedent." Previous cases as well as law determine it. Codemasters (and even Activision from the 80s) have won this in US courts, and other companies (Datel?) get away with making products without a license so long as they don't use anything copyrighted in the construction. The thing is it's REALLY risky for vendors sales-wise. The way it stands these days is the device is legal until you use it illegally. Vendors can get nailed for not doing their taxes right or going over US customs' head. Customs hates them.

I heard australia and some other countries have banned modchips, but that's another ball game. What countries have outlawed flash carts? Do you have any proof because I'm really interested, I keep up with the law on this stuff and there's a lot of misinformation.

e: To answer your question, Nintendo can sue on a large variety of grounds. It's a civil matter; people are allowed to sue each other. If they succeed or not is a different story, but I can't find anything about an actual lawsuit.

e2: looked it up, lawsuit is filed but hasn't happened yet. R4 not yet illegal and still in akihabara shops.

e3: lol?

13. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    This guy is way too persistent... no offense to him or anything, but I saw the video of his game in "action", and it looked boring. I wouldn't want to play it all the way through. Robert is wasting his time, and is being rather unprofessional about it. he's acting like a 2 year old throwing a tantrum because they couldn't get a toy at the store.

Oh, this just in! Nintendo employees are locking themselves in because the White House won't let them be president!

14. pieman202

Member pieman202 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    modchips are not banned in australia they are actually legal here and to mod it is legal too ^^

15. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    Bob fails harder in every thread.

16. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    well..... that's not much worse than how most game companies treat their programmers.... cougheacough

17. iPikachu

Member iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Singapore
    +1

18. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    why is it so hard to make a game for nintendo? I dont really get it... how did 99% of the crap games get on the wii and DS, and a game that someone actualy put some time into is being denied?

19. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Hmmm, this is the very same question I'm curious about..
    Aside Roberts sanity, how come Nintendo is so firm about not getting this game released..I mean, NDS has really, but really big count of crappiest games you could ever see!! I don't think that Nintendo would be in any loss if they just sell him Nitro!!

I know that this is now matter of principals, but I'm still dazzled..
    And if this game really gets to Walmart on flashcarts!! Damn, that would be really bad..It would bring piracy, and availability of flashcarts to new level!
    I'd hate that!

20. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    Nintendo said that they won't give developer's licenses to one-man teams and whoever wants to create his own game there's Wiiware and DSiWare...or something along these lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.