Hardware Blurry and weird effects on LCD Curved monitor

gengardenne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello all,I'm here to describe you what happened during the past months to my curved monitor;basically sometimes when I use it(when I boot the screen or when go out from stand-by mode) the images become burned(especially on faces) and a weird effect is showed o all portions of the screen(blurry images as you can see in the photo).I'm trying to see if the problem is the display or another component inside the monitor.The phenomenon is temporarily fixed when I reboot the monitor or refreshing the signal source but it's never totaly fixed atm.Further point this event is random and I'm still not able to recognize which are the moment when it shows up.
.I'm posting a proof of what I said so you can realize if the situation is bad or not
Someone of you know more about this problem?I tried by myself to find a similar story searching and I found an effect called "solarization"but then I recognized is not the exact thing I'm talking you this thread

*You can see the same image before and after this weird effect

Attachments

• monitor 1.JPG
    monitor 1.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 92
  • normal 1.JPG
    normal 1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 100
  • blurry 1.JPG
    blurry 1.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 89
  • normal 2.JPG
    normal 2.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 84
  • blurry 2.JPG
    blurry 2.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 93

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want the technical term for what you are seeing then that is called colour banding. It happens when the monitor can't display enough colours for a gradient and so it makes noticeable steps instead.
Not sure what is causing it to randomly happen on an image that is otherwise handling it. That pulling the source or power cycling the monitor fixes it makes me think something inside the monitor that is doing some kind of colour gradient smoothing or operating in high colour modes crashes and dumps you at a lower colour version, with the new source or power cycle dragging it back to life. Could be a graphics card or drivers thereof too (power cycling a monitor or unplugging could also serve as a gentle nudge for those too) with the simpler test being if you have another device that you can use with it to see if it happens there.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Fast is right. It's called Colour Banding and it happens when your monitor can't handle many more colours.

When you use a higher bit depth of colour, old monitors won't reproduce said colors at a higher bit depth.

Try seeing if your monitor model can support 16+ bits of colour depth.
Old ones usually supports 8bit colour depth and will mess 8+ bit colour depth.

gengardenne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you both guys for explained me what's going on so well,I didn't knew how the phenomenon was called.Ok so to answer to Fast: I already tried not only with my pc but also connecting through HDMI cable a Nintendo switch source and also in that situation sometimes I found the color banding issue.So maybe it's an internal component of the monitor.Do you think it's useful to call an assistance trying to fix the problem?I can still use it bc I'm warranty

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Fast is right. It's called Colour Banding and it happens when your monitor can't handle many more colours.

When you use a higher bit depth of colour, old monitors won't reproduce said colors at a higher bit depth.

Try seeing if your monitor model can support 16+ bits of colour depth.
Old ones usually supports 8bit colour depth and will mess 8+ bit colour depth.

I bought the monitor almost two years ago while the product was released 4 years ago iirr.So it doesn't seem to be that old for a monitor and it's a Samsung one so shouldn't either be a bad quality panel I hope.

How can I check if the monitor in question can support 16+bits colors?If there's a program to do that I'll try to find this field

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you both guys for explained me what's going on so well,I didn't knew how the phenomenon was called.Ok so to answer to Fast: I already tried not only with my pc but also connecting through HDMI cable a Nintendo switch source and also in that situation sometimes I found the color banding issue.So maybe it's an internal component of the monitor.Do you think it's useful to call an assistance trying to fix the problem?I can still use it bc I'm warranty

I bought the monitor almost two years ago while the product was released 4 years ago iirr.So it doesn't seem to be that old for a monitor and it's a Samsung one so shouldn't either be a bad quality panel I hope.

How can I check if the monitor in question can support 16+bits colors?If there's a program to do that I'll try to find this field
There's no easy way to find out other than checking specialized sites that displays such color bit depth. though It won't say "Your monitor doesn't support (12), (16), (18), (24), (32), (64) color bit depth"
I mean, it's nothing more obvious than what your eye can see.

Now, you're mentioning you are using a SAMSUNG monitor, I have a 2008 one that I recently stopped using.
If I recall correctly, SAMSUNG monitors has an Auto Calibration setting.
It also has "Fine" and "Thickness" settings which can be adjusted to ease some banding.
Have in mind that I'm from Mexico and such settings are called "Fino" and "Grueso" so I'm translating literally said settings. But they're in the IMAGE/PICTURE Menu.

Also, try this site: https://www.labtrain.noaa.gov/config/test_color.htm

I used it a long time ago to caliber my SAMSUNG monitor.

Just have something in mind... If you didn't had this problem before, it might as well be a problem within the monitor itself.

I apologize for the late reply, I was busy, and I'm also not an expert, but I've had this problem before and I'm just talking by experience.

Last edited by JuanMena, , Reason: typos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.