Hacking Bluebomb: An exploit for the Wii + Wii Mini

Vrelic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used Linux Mint 19 to get all the bluetooth support stuff setup. I just used the pre-compiled option. Had no problems, got two Wii Minis hacked.

Polar Hacker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is simply amazing! Never thought we'd see the Wii mini hacked! Does anybody have some pictures of their hacked Wii mini? Would love to see it B-)

Also, does the Homebrew Channel allow you to run apps from the USB? I'm assuming it does, but never tried it personally.

Reactions: banjo2

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This is simply amazing! Never thought we'd see the Wii mini hacked! Does anybody have some pictures of their hacked Wii mini? Would love to see it B-)

Also, does the Homebrew Channel allow you to run apps from the USB? I'm assuming it does, but never tried it personally.
Yes, it does (although this isn't a Wii Mini)
IMG_20200112_120135599.jpg

helpmiiplz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I just posted a topic looking for help in using bluebomb with an original gamecube compatible wii. I've got a wii that shows no signal but I'm able to sync a wiimote. Was told that this could be fixed by using bluebomb but I'm not sure what needs to be on the USB stick, I tried with the hackmii installer and nothing ever displayed on the screen. I believe I'm using the right bin (WII_SM4_3U) because the terminal is able to connect to the wii.

Any guidance anyone can provide?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I took a Wii Mini fresh out of the box, went to put homebrew channel on it with bluebomb, without the video hooked up and didn't realize until later that the Wii Mini was still on its initial setup screen. Apparently the Wii doesn't even need to be completely set up to use bluebomb, pretty much anywhere in the System Menu will bluebomb work.

I have a question though, since the Wii Mini has a top loading disc drive and can physically accept a Gamecube disc with ease, is it possible to restore GC disc support? I tried dumping a GC disc with USB Loader GX, it didn't work. I also tried CleanRip and it couldn't auto detect the GC discs I tried, it just offers alternatives like attempt as AR disc and eventually it fails to rip the disc.
From what I've read about the Wii Mini is that the drive firmware doesn't support GC disks (seems like they intentionally disabled GC disk support) so no unfortunately you can't use GC discs with Wii Mini. No amount of updates/changes to system software will restore that.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Archerite

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome job @Fullmetal5 for creating this exploit for the Wii Mini, I have been so distracted the last few months that I totally missed the exploit was working!! I have seen other people reporting it already works on the Rpi 3 but I am going to try it with a Raspberry Pi Zero W!! Hopefully my own homebrew game will run on the Wii Mini using this exploit :D

Last edited by Archerite,

Archerite

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, my Rpi zero adventure did not go that well...could not get the stupid thing to connect to my wifi or show up as a USB ethernet gadget! :angry:........so I used a Rpi 3 instead and after compiling Bluez for a while and only 50mb left on the 2GB sd card (yeah, I know but that was the only one that had unimportant data on it) ...IT WORKS!!!! YAAAAY!!! Finally an exploit for the wii mini!!!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay:

Installed the Homebrew Channel and tested my own homebrew game. Both work great on the Wii Mini!! :yay:

Only thing I did not have the guts to do yet is install bootmii, but I would really like to make a backup of the NAND and dump the keys and stuff just to be sure. :lol: Any news on a method that would work for that yet?

I'll say it again @Fullmetal5 : Awesome work! You're a legend!

Archerite

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just for fun I tried to mess around with the payload (stage1.bin) and hoped I could include the HackMii installer directly....but it hits a limit of 512kb and get's stuck when it reaches that. I think I remember reading about that being a limit somewhere so it was not a real surprise. What I did get working was SD card support for use on regular Wii's since installing BootMii requires it anyway, I made it look for USB first and only try SD when that failed. Wasn't even that hard to add but I understand it's not there since the loader was meant for the Mini after all. Should I wrap my changes up into a pull request on GitHub or would there be nobody else interested in this little addition?

Some articles I read about BlueBomb from when it was new say "it's more work than existing exploits" but I have to disagree. Sure, you require Linux and need to compile something which...ehm...some people are afraid off I guess. But after you have gone through this....it's the simplest exploit to run a second time on a different wii! I have 6 now including the mini so I tried it on a couple of them ofcourse to see what would happen!:lol:

Thank you so much for releasing the source!

DestinySky

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So we can fix 003 brick with this?
Ei spamming the Sync button on the 003 error screen with linux and bluebomb setup up.

ccyruss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello Fullmetal, I hacked my Wii Mini with bluebomb, can I reinstall the original Wii sys. menu, or my Wii will get fried?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Hello Fullmetal, I hacked my Wii Mini with bluebomb, can I reinstall the original Wii sys. menu, or my Wii will get fried?
Why would you want to do this? Functionally, the Wii Mini's system menu should support everything you need. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an IOS patch and a hardmod would be needed to add SD Card support, not just a system menu replacement.

jimmy_mcnugget

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot for the life of me get this to work. Tried laptop with ubuntu. Onboard bluetooth didnt work. Tried running exploit on just the dongle hci1 and it showed wii connected to hci0. Now im trying to run it on my pi and stuck at waiting. Although the pi boots the exploit fine with no errors. It just shows waiting to connect. A phrase ive seen all too much in the past 4 days lol. What could i be doing wrong? I just cant seem to get it working at all.

Edit:
Ok so I got it to work but only after i installed ubuntu 16 to a partition instead of running it off of my bootable usb. It literally took seconds to connect. Im so relieved lol

Last edited by jimmy_mcnugget,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Fawe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For the people looking to buy a bluetooth dongle: I heard that a lot of dongles don't work under linux, cause like everything else they are designed to work under windows. One that definitly works under linux (tried myself, using Ubuntu) is the "Speedlink VIAS Nano USB Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter".

Reactions: XFlak and raxadian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs