• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Blue State coalition (CA) banning energy inefficient gaming PCs

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am hesitant to call this a ban, not due to not trying but because of their incompetence and stupidity leaves plenty of loop holes.

But here's a breakdown from Jazy2cents in the ridiculous minutia of what's been implemented, certain alienwares already unavailable in CA.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Xzi,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/14669/no-california-is-not-banning-gaming-pcs

Clickbait thread title. Really doesn't seem like much of an issue. The video you linked even counters it.

Anyways, the less people buying (and selling) shitty alienwares the better imo

There are real concerns about energy usage and energy efficiency. Too much energy is being used and wreaking havoc on the environment, but it isn't being used by people, it's being used by corporations like Dell. Good riddance. This is an incredibly lukewarm pro-environmental policy and weirdos are spinning it like it's the end of the world, California could easily do so much more and so much better. This whole country could do so much more and so much better.

Last edited by Seliph,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Too much energy is being used and wreaking havoc on the environment, but it isn't being used by people, it's being used by corporations like Dell. Good riddance.
Yeah and also crypto miners. Can't crack down on them without potentially hurting gamers a bit, unfortunately.

Besides, all these pre-built sellers have to do is put better PSUs in their systems to become compliant, instead of cheap ones that explode or fail after a week despite being rated way over the necessary wattage for the other components.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Lacius and Seliph

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/14669/no-california-is-not-banning-gaming-pcs

Clickbait thread title. Really doesn't seem like much of an issue. The video you linked even counters it.

Anyways, the less people buying (and selling) shitty alienwares the better imo

There are real concerns about energy usage and energy efficiency. Too much energy is being used and wreaking havoc on the environment, but it isn't being used by people, it's being used by corporations like Dell. Good riddance. This is an incredibly lukewarm pro-environmental policy and weirdos are spinning it like it's the end of the world, California could easily do so much more and so much better. This whole country could do so much more and so much better.

Certain PC configs can no longer be shipped to California, that is a ban. I fully acknowledge the technical incompetence of those who drafted the shitty legislation does not achieve their goals, or anything. If you are concerned about energy consumption maybe you should look the Sodium lights the hundreds if not thousands of weed factories are using.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Certain PC configs can no longer be shipped to California, that is a ban. I fully acknowledge the technical incompetence of those who drafted the shitty legislation does not achieve their goals, or anything. If you are concerned about energy consumption maybe you should look the Sodium lights the hundreds if not thousands of weed factories are using.
Dell is personally refusing to sell some of their PCs in California due to regulations that basically state that their products aren't up to snuff with energy efficient regulations. That is literally all. If Dell chose to make better, more energy-efficient pre-built computers then they could, but they don't want to because they won't make as much money. This is an example of regulations promoting better/more efficient tech but companies (specifically dell) are simply refusing to adopt that tech because it slightly hurts their profit, this is the opposite of progress, this is just stupid, but that is the law of Capital. Can't expect efficiency from a system that promotes profit over everything else.

Also, "weed factories"? Lol.

Last edited by Seliph,

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, nobody will miss those shitty alienware pre-builds

They will miss them when we are continuing chip shortages into 2023, I bought an R12 this year. First prebuilt (and hopefully last) I've ever bought and it cost less than buying a scalped card. Harassing manufacturers in the midst of scarcity is making the situation worst.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Prebuilt gaming PC's are just a wack business to be in, because you can get the same quality PC sans LED Lights from a different company for a smaller price. It makes no sense why a computer has to be "configured for gaming." Is it just marketing to those who are not very smart when it comes to computers? Do the LED's add some spiritual effect that a normal PC wouldn't cut? It makes no sense to me, and probably never will.

Reactions: Xzi

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They will miss them when we are continuing chip shortages into 2023, I bought an R12 this year. First prebuilt (and hopefully last) I've ever bought and it cost less than buying a scalped card. Harassing manufacturers in the midst of scarcity is making the situation worst.
Well, I can agree with you that buying the pre-build just to grab the gpu is cheaper/reliable than buying scalped ones off ebay

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Harassing manufacturers in the midst of scarcity is making the situation worst.
Who is "harassing manufacturers"? No one is doing this (more people should, however). Why are you willingly defending one of the biggest tech companies in the world? This is goofy. Dell has more than enough to make slightly better Alienware computers that are compliant with regulations. They are a multi-billion dollar company, they have literally more money than the combined gdp of several countries. Blame Dell's greed. If they spent a tiny bit more on making better computers then this wouldn't be an issue. This is Dell's fault.

Last edited by Seliph,

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who is "harassing manufacturers"? No one is doing this (more people should, however). Why are you willingly defending one of the biggest tech companies in the world? This is silly and you know it. Dell has more than enough to make slightly better Alienware computers that are compliant with regulations. They are a multi-billion dollar company, they have literally more money than the combined gdp of several countries. Blame Dell's greed. If they spent a tiny bit more on making better computers then this wouldn't be an issue. This is Dell's fault.

I wont be engaging the false premise you are assigning to me, I am not defending dell just because someone can allegedly afford the regulation does not validate it. I oppose the regulation for no other reason I am sick of Californian's having to flee the garbage policy makers they elected.

No one is required to deal with Dell if they don't want to, not true of government.

Last edited by jimbo13,
D

Deleted User

I oppose the regulation for no other reason I am sick of Californian's having to flee the garbage policy makers they elected.

No one is required to deal with Dell if they don't want to, not true of government.
Then do you oppose the limit on carbon that was pushed on power giant back in 1960? you know, to stop acid rain. Which overall ended up stopping acid rain, a situation that would of killed multiple eco systems?
Because it's a similar deal here.
Less power used = less environmental damage.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Law makers should be putting regulation on those things. ffs, we kinda need to a world to you know, live in?
DELL also knew about this power change since 2016, since they were on the board notified about the change. And it's not JUST California that's doing it either

"This product cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states. Any orders placed that are bound for those states will be canceled,

Reactions: KingVamp
D

Deleted User

Okay, so are they going after the Bitcoin miners? lol
Nope, as that law existed roughly around 2017-2019. My system which consumes a quite a bit of power, is compliant with califorina's standards if I switch it in my bios, reducing the overall power usage.
Which it is a fairly new system. rog strix 8360-i gaming motherboard. In other words, it's environmental sake, not to kill crypto (though definitely does do that)

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over