Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
microsoft should have waited more if they want to add the blu-ray,problaby in one year and a half they will get an faster speed(an LOT faster speed I hope because 2x is TOO SLOW) so in my opinion it was a big mistake to do this now, the fans will waste too much money for something that won't work well

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
DSGamer64 said:
Cablephish said:
luke_c said:
No? How is Bluray a "snobs" way of watching movies? Please elaborate.
Clearly he doesn't know that blu ray isn't really a deal with movies as it is with games, that's the reason why they're bothering with blu ray on the 360. They're tired of their crappy dual layer discs which are so crap compared to blu ray.

I guess they've waited long enough.
tongue.gif
I hope you are aware that a Blu Ray drive for the 360 would be extremely slow right? If it's external it would be slow as shit and pointless because there would be asinine load times.

Since Blu Ray only reads at 2x speed it would probably be just like the PS3 drive, USB isn't THAT slow.
Not bothered about a blu-ray add on too much, have never watched an HD movie on my 720p screen and compared it to the same movie in SD so I can't really comment on the usage of it. Microsoft could produce it but since its Sony owned as others said they might try and avoid having to pay the royalties to a competitor, plus it would be expensive. Out of curiosity can you still find HD-DVD movies and the HD-DVD add ons (obv. not new in stores)? I'd imagine the add-ons are quite cheap now and I might see if there are any decent movies on the dead format...
There are faster then 2x Blu Ray drives, it's up to 6x now for desktop drives. One would think that Sony would have put in a faster drive when they brought out the Slim, guess not. Sony isn't the sole developer of Blu Ray technology either, Toshiba was involved in the project as well.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft just failed since the blu-ray add-on doesn't have gaming support. Sony already won the Blu-Ray battle by default.

What's with all the fail each of the big three companies have been conjuring? First Sony's PSPgo, then Nintendo's unnecessary Wii accessories, then this can't we hear of some accessory or add on that most or all gamers want and is related to gaming.

shito

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
let me guess what's next, black x360? plus dosen't blu-ray technology belong to sony?

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Im sorry, but Sony owns the rights to Blu-ray and theres no Non-sony product that can use Blu-ray technology.
When sony makes the technology open for manufactures then theres a chance for this being possible.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did have a thread where I posed the "is HD worth it" question, alas it lost a chunk of it (including the first post where I had all my tests) when the older threads were trimmed. General consensus was a decent upscaling filter worked for most people (you should note that your monitors have been "HD" since before most people on the 'temp were born).

Blu ray owners: various groups can lay claim to intellectual property in various parts of the spec (it is complex enough that you will probably need a proper IP lawyer type to cut through it all) but the actual blu ray disc association is made up of many groups:
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/about/SupportingCompanies.html
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/association/...shipLevels.html

You should also note many of those are somewhat big corporations so "dodgy" dealings are quite probable/possible. Also Sony are a key player and one of the founding members but they by no means have the final word.

@shito if it was supposed to be sarcastic ignore me but if not the elite models of the 360 have been a sort of off black for quite some time now.

re: snobs, the simplest answer would be the "holier than thou"/religious type argument ("well it looks better to me/I believe it looks better......") adopted by many of the crowd.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thread closed, thanks for the conversation all and if you want to continue the debate on the merits of "HD" and the like by all means start a new topic in the general off topic section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Cheers for the links :P