Bloomberg reports upgraded Switch model announcement "imminent" and launching as soon as September

switch logo.JPG

There's yet another rumor in town, this time coming from Bloomberg regarding the upgraded Nintendo Switch model, aka the Switch Pro. Citing "people familiar with the matter" who asked not to be named since the plans are not yet public, the report mentions that Nintendo expects to start assembly of the upgraded Switch model as soon as July; with plans to launch the device in September or October.

Just like Bloomberg previously reported, this report maintains that the new model will pack a 7-inch OLED Samsung display, a faster NVIDIA chip capable of 4K output in docked mode. The cost is also expected to be higher than the current $299 tag. It will be sold alongside the $199 Switch Lite, while the standard Switch will slowly be phased.

Interestingly, the report mentions that, according to its sources, the announcement of the new hardware is "imminent" and could happen before this June's E3 to "allow publishers to showcase their full range of Switch games at the global event".

As for the commercial name of this fabled "Switch Pro", Bloomberg says that "only to a handful of people within the Kyoto-based company".

What do you think of this news? Is it yet another rumor not to be taken seriously or will we finally have a look at an upgraded Switch this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it SHOULD be a switch with better hardware that can run current games amazingly well and allow for newer games to have a far smoother framerates.

What it's going to be is just the same ol' switch with DLSS, plus slightly better hardware so it can run cooler and more efficient...but same quality as current gen. Because that's how nintendo rolls.

Reactions: JavaScribe

gempugs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am much much more worried about OLED's colour degrading as time goes on. Does the claim of the organic part of OLED degrading over time still stand? Due to how long Nintendo consoles usually last, it will be a bummer to know an actively used Switch display for the next 10 years will be a washed out mess.

D

Deleted User

I am much much more worried about OLED's colour degrading as time goes on. Does the claim of the organic part of OLED degrading over time still stand? Due to how long Nintendo consoles usually last, it will be a bummer to know an actively used Switch display for the next 10 years will be a washed out mess.
Good point, that is what worries me as well. I am not sure how modern devices behave but my OLED Vita is suffering from Mura and also color degradation. (some elements which should be grey appear to be purple.)
My XIaomi Mi 9 had Mura as well after maybe 6 months of usage, might be bad luck though.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
it SHOULD be a switch with better hardware that can run current games amazingly well and allow for newer games to have a far smoother framerates.

What it's going to be is just the same ol' switch with DLSS, plus slightly better hardware so it can run cooler and more efficient...but same quality as current gen. Because that's how nintendo rolls.
At this point I dont know if DLSS is confirmed. IMO it is not coming yet to Nintendo platforms.

I say that because ahead of Switch release back in 2017 we already had the Pascal architecture available, Nintendo went with Maxwell.

This is just the most current example, but since the SNES and Gameboy, Nintendo usually avoid the cutting edge tech in favor of consolidated tech for their silicon. They tent to play safe on that frontier, and that is annoying.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I doubt you can convince them that OLED is not as bad as they think that easily though, especially when you slapped them so hard with that plane fall in ocean thing:rofl2: If it's not being delusional then they shall admit their ignorance anytime now, or refute with additional legacy OLED panel for the shame you gave them:creep:
I believe they have had very bad experiences with old OLED and just didn't really give a try on modern ones.
Or perhaps they expect a screen not to have burn in if you have the exact same picture on it 24/7 like in a Taxi app. That would give Burn in to any CRT used in the past for decades in video games and is not a use scenario comparable to videogames.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I dont know if DLSS is confirmed. IMO it is not coming yet to Nintendo platforms.

I say that because ahead of Switch release back in 2017 we already had the Pascal architecture available, Nintendo went with Maxwell.

This is just the most current example, but since the SNES and Gameboy, Nintendo usually avoid the cutting edge tech in favor of consolidated tech for their silicon. They tent to play safe on that frontier, and that is annoying.
True, but the Nvidia Shield and the Switch use the same chip, and Nvidia Shield leans heavily on DLSS. I'm not sure of the specifics of why it's not on the current switch.

But if Nvidia is wanting to replace the Shield's chip with an updated version, which is rumoured, this could hold true for the Switch as well. Goes to that "phasing out" of the original switch stock.

But I agree, they're going to save as much money as possible. So whatever the most economical thing they get away with is, that's what they're going to do.

Last edited by osaka35,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
But I agree, they're going to save as much money as possible. So whatever the most economical thing they get away with is, that's what they're going to do.

I believe that they usually go with old and consolidated silicon not to save money, but because Nintendo is overly conservative (Nintendo of Japan, mind you). They want to be sure that a given tech is reliable before using it.

But maybe I'm being naive here, I admit.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's just say the rumor is true are you going to pay $400 on a switch if all the newer games are still going to work on the older models? I can't see Nintendo doing a New 3DS move where "only xxx games can only be played on New 3DS" heavy hitters like Zelda, Pokemon, Mario it will still be played across the board.

I just wish they release a 4K dock that can enhance gameplay opposing to making you buy a newer switch. I mean I have 5 switched lol but sometimes enough is enough

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Unironically I wish they added a depth sider on the pro like a 3ds, that technology is amazing, I don't know why people hated it so much but being able to see depth in a game is literally game changing. Technology has advanced, they could probably add some automatically adjusting system so it can be viewed at an angle or adjust for different eyes.

Reactions: 1B51004

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unironically I wish they added a depth sider on the pro like a 3ds, that technology is amazing, I don't know why people hated it so much but being able to see depth in a game is literally game changing. Technology has advanced, they could probably add some automatically adjusting system so it can be viewed at an angle or adjust for different eyes.
I believe more people have problems with 3D vision than one would have led to believe.

With the 3DS I loved when I was able to see depth, but TBH it was hard for my eyes to adjust to it (most of the time double image, move it a little double image) and then when adapted I got headaches after 30 minutes.

But sure some better technology might do something about that.

QuestionSleep1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I doubt it, they would have to rework all the games to adapt them to 3D

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nostalgia glasses. Some days ago I picked up my 3DS XL to play some (don't judge) Project Mirai DX and I felt slapped by those fat big prickly pixels.
Some games hide it cope with it better than others.
That said, the N3DS XL has such a low pixel density, you don't even have to look closely to see the subpixels.

Last edited by JavaScribe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: