Bloomberg reports upgraded Switch model announcement "imminent" and launching as soon as September

switch logo.JPG

There's yet another rumor in town, this time coming from Bloomberg regarding the upgraded Nintendo Switch model, aka the Switch Pro. Citing "people familiar with the matter" who asked not to be named since the plans are not yet public, the report mentions that Nintendo expects to start assembly of the upgraded Switch model as soon as July; with plans to launch the device in September or October.

Just like Bloomberg previously reported, this report maintains that the new model will pack a 7-inch OLED Samsung display, a faster NVIDIA chip capable of 4K output in docked mode. The cost is also expected to be higher than the current $299 tag. It will be sold alongside the $199 Switch Lite, while the standard Switch will slowly be phased.

Interestingly, the report mentions that, according to its sources, the announcement of the new hardware is "imminent" and could happen before this June's E3 to "allow publishers to showcase their full range of Switch games at the global event".

As for the commercial name of this fabled "Switch Pro", Bloomberg says that "only to a handful of people within the Kyoto-based company".

What do you think of this news? Is it yet another rumor not to be taken seriously or will we finally have a look at an upgraded Switch this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure this is fake. Most games don't even run in 1080p, so 4k wouldn't really help except in YouTube...

I still think that, given the leaks from modders, it's going to be a 4k enabled DOCK and not a SOC within the device that would doing the upscaling. I also don't think it will be DLSS. It will probably be a dock that uses the upscaling that the NVIDIA Shield TV does. It doesn't make any sense to have a 4k handheld with a 720p screen.

Last edited by mattyxarope,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Mochizuki says its happening this fall, its happening this fall. Good odds that the specs are overhyped and it will be incredibly disappointing, or that the price will be exorbitant or supply way too low, but its 100% happening, just like their reports accurately dated the Lite and V2 releases.

Really looks like the impetus for this latest round of leaks is some games using "pro" footage to promote themselves at E3 anyway.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
On one hand, it sounds semi-believable as another mariko situation where they subtly replace the "normal" switch in manufacturing with another revision and keep older devices working perfectly fine.

On the other hand, I'm still convinced this is all false and that Bloomberg is just trying to manipulate publicly traded stocks. They've lost basically all their credibility in recent years.

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I still haven't bought a Switch, so if a new one comes out, I'll probably buy it. If I can get my hands on one.

That said, how many times have we heard this one before? "It has to be true eventually" doesn't work if Nintendo never makes a "Switch Pro."

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather my Switch not get image burn in thanks.

HD CRT or GTFO scrub

Burn in isn't really as big of thing as it was back in the day. Watch OLED tv reviews on YouTube where they leave it on as a test. After hundreds of hours it stays the same - no burn in. Not saying it isn't possible, it just isn't the same as it used to be.

DoubleDate

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For the ones hoping that it will be hacked and being able to play full games will cry a river. I doubt Nintendo will make the same mistake as what happened with the earlier version of the Switch due Nvidia's mistake. I dont see it happening, it probs will be harder than the Switch lite.

If interesting games are being planned, i will deff buy the new system.

It doesn't look good as it was the case with its predecesors consoles.

Last edited by DoubleDate,

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me if there is confirmation or not about the OLED screen having a resolution of 1080p?
Current rumors seem to agree it will still be 720p

For the ones hoping that it will be hacked and being able to play full games will cry a river. I doubt Nintendo will make the same mistake as what happened with the earlier version of the Switch due Nvidia's mistake. I dont see it happening, it probs will be harder than the Switch lite.

If interesting games are being planned, i will deff buy the new system.

It doesn't look good as it was the case with its predecesors consoles.
People can still wish for nice things even if they're unlikely. The big players in the Switch homebrew scene seem to have lost interest in new exploits, but that doesn't mean they're not there. They just require to much effort to find

Reactions: Noctosphere

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know if it will be hackable?

Before someone jumps down my throat, I'm joking.
it will be...
PS5 will be hackable
XBSX will be hackable
The real question is.... when?

Reactions: JavaScribe

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm going to pass I just bought an Animal Crossing Switch today from walmart... I didn't plan on buying another switch but I couldn't pass it up. This is my 5th switch I think I'll keep this one inside the box sealed along with my pokemon one.

Maybe they will be worth something one day in the near future.

20210527_173256.jpg

Last edited by Goku1992A,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait is that pic from Walmart or your personal collection? At first I thought it was your own collection now I think Walmart.

No I had bought it today from walmart. I own 5 switches 2 of them are CFW and 2 of them are the pokemon one and the animal crossing one I bought today.

All those games are my PS4 games and XB1 games in the background I own mostly all systems with the exception of the new generation PS5 and Series-X.

The Animal Crossing and the Pokemon one is sealed in the box I never opened it.
20210527_174416.jpg

Last edited by Goku1992A,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb