Bloomberg reports upgraded Switch model announcement "imminent" and launching as soon as September

switch logo.JPG

There's yet another rumor in town, this time coming from Bloomberg regarding the upgraded Nintendo Switch model, aka the Switch Pro. Citing "people familiar with the matter" who asked not to be named since the plans are not yet public, the report mentions that Nintendo expects to start assembly of the upgraded Switch model as soon as July; with plans to launch the device in September or October.

Just like Bloomberg previously reported, this report maintains that the new model will pack a 7-inch OLED Samsung display, a faster NVIDIA chip capable of 4K output in docked mode. The cost is also expected to be higher than the current $299 tag. It will be sold alongside the $199 Switch Lite, while the standard Switch will slowly be phased.

Interestingly, the report mentions that, according to its sources, the announcement of the new hardware is "imminent" and could happen before this June's E3 to "allow publishers to showcase their full range of Switch games at the global event".

As for the commercial name of this fabled "Switch Pro", Bloomberg says that "only to a handful of people within the Kyoto-based company".

What do you think of this news? Is it yet another rumor not to be taken seriously or will we finally have a look at an upgraded Switch this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I remain extremely skeptical for a number of reasons, foremost among them being that we're still in the midst of a chip shortage. Also the rumor that Nintendo is going to phase out the standard model makes no sense, why wouldn't they want to keep a "mid-tier" option on shelves? That way they'd have the $199, $299, and $399 price points all covered by models with different use cases.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh please. We're still having semiconductor shortage. I highly doubt they've already produced massively, let alone release this upcoming September. No doubt about its inevitable release but probably not this year. I could be wrong, same with their article and a bunch of others. All we can do is speculate until there is a leak from a trusted source or an official announcement from Nintendo.

As for the screen, I don't mind being OLED as long as it isn't a crappy one. Having higher refresh rate at least 90hz would be good but I highly doubt it that's what they're using. All we really need a faster CPU & GPU that could give at least constant 60fps games. Those 60fps game patches here are really amazing and game changing. Tried both Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection and it's a breath of fresh air playing at 60fps.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i said before they were going to announce it at this years e3. its 100% coming now they just need to start getting som decent fucking games released on the damn thing more often and not 2 a fucking year and the rest shovelware and nindies!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you don't care about burn-in or oversaturated colors, sure.
never had that problem on my LG OLED and i play a lot of emulation on the shield pro with health bars on the screen, score etc all the time

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you don't care about burn-in or oversaturated colors, sure.
Also, a 720p screen is going to look terrible with OLED Pentile tech.
Burn in is overblown, it's not a real problem unless you really have a fixed image on it 24/7.

Regarding oversaturated colors my old LGC9 disagrees, colors match what you want to be displayed, if you want oversaturated it can do it, if you want realistic it can do it too.

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Im really worried about this. I think it would be extremely bad if they tried to replace the $299 Switch with a more expensive one, leaving the user without a cheaper choice that isnt the Switch Lite. It would also be a extremely scummy thing to do for the 85 million who brought the normal Switch, not to mention how many games wont probably be able to run good on it

I really hope they wont replace it. It would pratically make the OG Switch worthless.

Last edited by linkchidori,

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calm down, calm down.
Friends, MGM's Stargate, Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D and now the Switch Pro in less than 24 hours, that's too much hype for one day.

Im really worried about this. I think it would be extremely bad if they tried to replace the $299 Switch with a more expensive one, leaving the user without a cheaper choice that isnt the Switch Lite. It would also be a extremely scummy thing to do for the 85 million who brought the normal Switch, not to mention how many games wont probably be able to run good on it

I really hope they wont replace it. It would pratically make the OG Switch worthless.

I have 2 OG and I don't find it scummy at all. Technology is always meant to evolve. What would be scummy would be to announce a new model of OG and then immediately the pro (which they haven't done, they've been phasing out the OG for a while), or make some games pro only, or some games not compatible.
There's nothing in this approach that is scummy. Your switch will someday be obsolete, even the pro will. It is inevitable mr. Anderson.

Last edited by deinonychus71,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to ignored it. Nintendo is waste my time. No thank you, Nintendo! It is only upgrade.. Not a successor to Nintendo Switch. And no 3rd party supporting, I bet.

I am sure that there will be lots of ported from early PS4 games to next Nintendo Switch system. A lots than currently weak Nintendo Switch version.

Good for people who don't own PS4, thought. For that, I will pass!

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night