Bloomberg reports upgraded Switch model announcement "imminent" and launching as soon as September

switch logo.JPG

There's yet another rumor in town, this time coming from Bloomberg regarding the upgraded Nintendo Switch model, aka the Switch Pro. Citing "people familiar with the matter" who asked not to be named since the plans are not yet public, the report mentions that Nintendo expects to start assembly of the upgraded Switch model as soon as July; with plans to launch the device in September or October.

Just like Bloomberg previously reported, this report maintains that the new model will pack a 7-inch OLED Samsung display, a faster NVIDIA chip capable of 4K output in docked mode. The cost is also expected to be higher than the current $299 tag. It will be sold alongside the $199 Switch Lite, while the standard Switch will slowly be phased.

Interestingly, the report mentions that, according to its sources, the announcement of the new hardware is "imminent" and could happen before this June's E3 to "allow publishers to showcase their full range of Switch games at the global event".

As for the commercial name of this fabled "Switch Pro", Bloomberg says that "only to a handful of people within the Kyoto-based company".

What do you think of this news? Is it yet another rumor not to be taken seriously or will we finally have a look at an upgraded Switch this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

D

Deleted User

Unless Nintendo breaks away from their own Business Practice, and the Console Gaming Industry's, there will always be a superior version of the Latest Generation Console released before the next Generation goes into Production.

As such, I don't doubt there will be a Switch Pro, but I'm not going to mentally commit to a Time Frame and will just enjoy the ride. Personally I feel the best time to buy into a Gaming Console and its Library is around that Release, which is what I always do.

Similarly, I'm going to let the diehard PlayStation 5 Fanbase get their fill of the current iteration whilst I wait for the PlayStation 5 Pro, alongside its Library by that time, to start investing in it.

It's not like I don't have a Gaming Backlog to play through.

Jaxom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh please. We're still having semiconductor shortage. I highly doubt they've already produced massively, let alone release this upcoming September. No doubt about its inevitable release but probably not this year. I could be wrong, same with their article and a bunch of others. All we can do is speculate until there is a leak from a trusted source or an official announcement from Nintendo.

As for the screen, I don't mind being OLED as long as it isn't a crappy one. Having higher refresh rate at least 90hz would be good but I highly doubt it that's what they're using. All we really need a faster CPU & GPU that could give at least constant 60fps games. Those 60fps game patches here are really amazing and game changing. Tried both Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection and it's a breath of fresh air playing at 60fps.

I couldn't agree more, it seems really naive to think they would be able to produce a big amount of hardware if its that game changing and meets a high demand.
But I'll not get overhyped before I see some pictures of it, and moreover how games run on it. Until then, it's only speculations over an eventuality.

linkchidori

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Calm down, calm down.
Friends, MGM's Stargate, Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D and now the Switch Pro in less than 24 hours, that's too much hype for one day.

I have 2 OG and I don't find it scummy at all. Technology is always meant to evolve. What would be scummy would be to announce a new model of OG and then immediately the pro (which they haven't done, they've been phasing out the OG for a while), or make some games pro only, or some games not compatible.
There's nothing in this approach that is scummy. Your switch will someday be obsolete, even the pro will. It is inevitable mr. Anderson.
I know thechnology has to evolve, but im talking about the OG Switch capability of really getting good ports in the future. While a lot of people has a Switch, many developers wont really put efforts into making good ports of their games. With a Pro replacing the OG Switch, why would developers care about making good ports for an OG Switch which is not even in the market anymore?

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't care about 4K, my pc takes care of that, I do like OLED but is it enough to justify the purchase already owning a CFW normal and an OFW lite one... Eventually I'll pick one up anyway because it complete's my collection...

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
In truth, I hate OLED as hell. It burns my eyes and those colors are not as superior as they try to make it look
first of all oled always look bad in bright room like in the stores if you don't have a dark room don't bother.
second never use the factory defaults always tweak the brightness, contrast etc yourself until it looks right to you.
and finally OLED were designed for 4K if you don't have any 4k content your wasting your time owning an OLED.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
Interesting.
But I'll wait for a limited edition or whatnot....maybe a limited Pokémon one or maybe a BOTW2 limited? (a man can dream, right?)
Until then, I'll stick with my regular Switch and PS4 Pro. :)
An upgrade to the CPU/GPU would really be nice so that we can enjoy the games as they meant to be played. :D

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
first of all oled always look bad in bright room like in the stores if you don't have a dark room don't bother.
second never use the factory defaults always tweak the brightness, contrast etc yourself until it looks right to you.
and finally OLED were designed for 4K if you don't have any 4k content your wasting your time owning an OLED.

Wtf. You even talk about OLED wasn't "designed" for 4k.. You have OLED screens with resolution way smaller than 4k. It's a technology and can be applied to displays on any size and resolution and retain all the benefits of the technology. There are some tiny displays with just a few lines that are OLED. OLED has a lot of advantages, such as power consumption and contrast. So by your logic my phone's screen looks bad when I'm outside during the day because the screen is only meant for dark rooms. I guess then oled screen for my ledger nano s must be impossible to read because it's definitely not 4k!

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you don't care about burn-in or oversaturated colors, sure.
Also, a 720p screen is going to look terrible with OLED Pentile tech.

No one ever mentioned VITA burn in with normal usage.
Only those that used the Browser or Youtube extensively suffered from that.

As an OG PSVITA owner, these are lies.

First: IT looks great even in bright environments.
Second: Even in stock settings the image is gorgeous. Tweaking helps for any kind of screen.
Third: VITA is 960x544.

I think 4k is way too much resolution, a waste of processing power, even for big (up to 46") screens.

julianuf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah man, oleds suck especially at low resolutions. Just look how much that gen 1 Vita with the the 544p OLED screen sucks.

Oh wait, no, it doesn't.

The Vita OLED is fucking amazing, and displays much better and brighter images than the current switch. Even with the mura effect (the black blotches you see when the screen darkens) which should no longer be an issue today, I'd take it over an LCD screen.

I do agree with the people not seeing this happening so soon. Circuit shortage is real, and I find it really hard to believe they'd be able to launch at proper stock levels. Unless they really don't give a damn and want to piss all the people who can't find a switch for their kids for the holidays and end up paying 3x++ as much to damn scalpers...

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sweet. I'll get that in a year or two....if it ever comes out, that is.

And I know I've said this before, but this could also mean that Nintendo will be releasing "pro-enhanced" games on the system like the n3DS and the DSi. It's pretty much inevitable at this point.

Last edited by Deleted member 534570,

kasugano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I feel like Bloomberg is throwing out the "new Switch coming on date XY" claim way too often.

Even if it releases, it's going to be the same scalper nightmare as with the PS5. People have quite a bit of time when they are working from home, which makes it even harder to grab something with limited stocks.

Reactions: JavaScribe

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I know thechnology has to evolve, but im talking about the OG Switch capability of really getting good ports in the future. While a lot of people has a Switch, many developers wont really put efforts into making good ports of their games. With a Pro replacing the OG Switch, why would developers care about making good ports for an OG Switch which is not even in the market anymore?
what? switch lite does exist and it has the same gpu/cpu as the og switch...

also there was a new 3ds and dsi for years and the original systems baring 2 or 3 games runned preety well altogether really.

wiitendo84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh please. We're still having semiconductor shortage. I highly doubt they've already produced massively, let alone release this upcoming September. No doubt about its inevitable release but probably not this year. I could be wrong, same with their article and a bunch of others. All we can do is speculate until there is a leak from a trusted source or an official announcement from Nintendo.

As for the screen, I don't mind being OLED as long as it isn't a crappy one. Having higher refresh rate at least 90hz would be good but I highly doubt it that's what they're using. All we really need a faster CPU & GPU that could give at least constant 60fps games. Those 60fps game patches here are really amazing and game changing. Tried both Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection and it's a breath of fresh air playing at 60fps.
It is Nintendo though. They have a habit of under producing their consoles. Could be why the switch was barely able to be found for quite a while. I mean if the plan was to release a new/upgraded system this year, stop production on the older model and ramp up the new one, then when the amount needed is hit produce the old again. Now I'm seeing the switch everywhere I go. Possible they may have it ready. Guess we will see in June or July when or if they announce something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly