Bloomberg reports tech details of 4K Nintendo Switch model, release window and pricing

Nintendo_Switch_logo,_horizontal.png

After rumors about Sony shutting down the digital store of some of its older platforms, new rumors emerged today, but this time about Nintendo's upgraded Switch. According to a new report from Bloomberg, according to "people familiar with the matter", the rumored Switch Pro will use "an upgraded Nvidia chip with better graphics and processing". This chipset will provide the new Switch model with better CPU and increased memory. It will also support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) which uses A.I. to efficiently deliver higher-fidelity graphics.

The report notes that since DLSS support requires new code to be added to games, this feature will be mainly used to enhance the graphics of upcoming titles. This information comes from the aforementioned sources and "multiple game developers".

This new Switch upgrade will apparently also feature an upgraded 7-inch OLED display from Samsung. The new NVIDIA chip will also reportedly "reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV".

Bloomberg also mentions that this new Switch model is planned to release for the end of year shopping season, with analysts tipping the price tag at $400.

Again, we should take these news with a pinch of salt as Bloomberg's sources "asked not to be identified because the plan is not public". But rumors around a Switch Pro model have been circulating for a while now. Would you buy one with these specs at this price at the end of this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

Jaxom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That'd be great if it could perform at least on the level of a base PS4, but I still kinda doubt it will. Some form of DLSS could help, but really I just want better frame rates. Specifically in Astral Chain.
I wouldn't say no to a 1080p 60fps Nintendo Switch, especially for Monster Hunter Rise. But as those parameters were only meet by the Xone X and the PS4 Pro on the last generation, I don't expect that much from Nintendo. But I would be delighted if they proved me wrong. :creep:

Reactions: rad140

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is true then no thanks. It is going to ports more PS4 games that can't ported to Nintendo Switch before. No 3rd party will supporting for a brand new games to newer Next Nintendo Switch like next XBOX and PS5. I wll move on and focus on PS5. I will wait for more source from Nintendo themselves instead.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

PoiRan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
ARM based hardware improved a lot in the last few years. I hope for a much faster switch but native 4K would be unrealistic for most games. Some games could work in 4k though if they mostly show images or videos. A game like animal crossing could certainly work in 4k on a "switch pro".

But, my wish, and believe, is that the still fast selling original switch won't be left in the cold. I assume it will be a switch pro and most new games should still work on the old switch.

Saviouz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Switch Pro could be a possible name, since we already have the Switch Pro Controller.
Or maybe Switch Plus or something like that for the larger screen

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I still prefer Super Nintendo Switch.

Also, the current Switch and dock can output 4k but HOS (Switch's operating system) doesn't support it. The hardware does, as shown in Android or Linux running on Switch. So if this new chip is rumored to be « 4k capable », I think it doesn't mean only video or UI. Native 4k is in my opinion a waste and not going to happen, but smooth 1080p upscaled with DLSS to 4k would be amazing.
Also, I hope DLSS will also be used in handheld to make games look better (it's basically AA) or reduce battery consumption by running at 540p or lower.

Super sampling for Super Nintendo Switch sounds amazing. I hope more games will reach stable 30 or 60fps

D

Deleted User

ARM based hardware improved a lot in the last few years. I hope for a much faster switch but native 4K would be unrealistic for most games. Some games could work in 4k though if they mostly show images or videos. A game like animal crossing could certainly work in 4k on a "switch pro".

But, my wish, and believe, is that the still fast selling original switch won't be left in the cold. I assume it will be a switch pro and most new games should still work on the old switch.

This would indicate that the performance upgrade could only be on the GPU and maybe the Memory part of the system, right? Increasing CPU speed would cause problems with AI of NPC's etc. on the older system.

I honestly believe that the new "upgrade" model will be just a Switch with increased handheld clocks (maybe 768mhz?), increased docked (1267mhz ?), and increased RAM speed/size.

Last edited by ,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not going to be portable at all I believe but I will keep my eyes and my open mind for this next rumor system but only source from Nintendo soon. Again, I doubt I will get one but I will keep my mind open.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Every time I see "according to "people familiar with the matter" ", I read "source: trust me I'm a [insert various jobs related to the rumor]".

Oh well, another month, another "I really want a Switch HD so I can justify my friends why I'm playing on it instead of playing PS5/Xbox X/S like them"

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I got my switch in 2018 and since that day, fortune tellers (including bloomberg) are talking about this revision.
It became a dumb situation like waking up every morning and predict: "today is my last day alive". You will be right one day, but this doesn't meas that you knew any shit ahead of time.
What amazes me is that even with the amount of missed predictions people still hear the new one when it comes.

Reactions: banjo2

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't really get to say "I told you so" if you keep making the same (inevitable) prediction every year and eventually it happens.

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
Nintendo Bait and Switch

On a more serious note it's hard to imagine the switch in it's current formfactor to run 4k decently considering how much more beefy the hardware should be to produce native 4k graphics, let alone the cooling being more than inadequate if it would stay similar to how it is now.
If any of the rumors are real I wonder how different the console will be. But I think it will just be DLSS and upscaling instead of actual 4k.
There were rumours of part of the upgrade being the dock having stuff in it, too, so maybe the upgrade isn't just the handheld but there's actual stuff in the dock too

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the whole rumor about nintendo is not a rumor, its been confirmed nvidia are no longer manufacturing that chip and have allocated enough units for nintendo to continue while they either find an alternative or upgrade to nvidias new chip.

so to be fair, its not that nintendo are the ones deciding to do a "pro" its the fact its chip is old and supplier is ending manufacturing, moving onto newer chips.

thing is, will nintendo front this cost, or will they go for a cheaper alternative to offer similar or subpar.

plus if it does move to 4K, then thats the carts pretty much fucking the customer over, they find it hard to fit old last gen ports without requiring downloads for a 720/1080p game, never mind 4K textures.

will nintendo front some cash to actually provide cheaper game carts with larger storage, larger internal than an embarassing measly 32gb.

then you got to consider these games still need to support older models, so thats going to say the cart is base only, 4K likely download, so will nintendo front more money to replace its shit wifi card and improve its network to increase speeds.

think nintendo just need to leave the switch, as theyve killed off the 3ds, let it replace the handheld market and give us an actual home console capable of playing next gen titles so we dont have to wait years later for them to yet again catch up, and what would be cool, add a switch card slot.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since the Nintendo Switch is abbreviated with NS, I cannot shake off the feeling that the new model will be named "Nintendo Switch SS". The last part (obviously) stands for Super Sampling, which is supported by the SoC.

Last edited by Axido,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night