Bloomberg reports tech details of 4K Nintendo Switch model, release window and pricing

Nintendo_Switch_logo,_horizontal.png

After rumors about Sony shutting down the digital store of some of its older platforms, new rumors emerged today, but this time about Nintendo's upgraded Switch. According to a new report from Bloomberg, according to "people familiar with the matter", the rumored Switch Pro will use "an upgraded Nvidia chip with better graphics and processing". This chipset will provide the new Switch model with better CPU and increased memory. It will also support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) which uses A.I. to efficiently deliver higher-fidelity graphics.

The report notes that since DLSS support requires new code to be added to games, this feature will be mainly used to enhance the graphics of upcoming titles. This information comes from the aforementioned sources and "multiple game developers".

This new Switch upgrade will apparently also feature an upgraded 7-inch OLED display from Samsung. The new NVIDIA chip will also reportedly "reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV".

Bloomberg also mentions that this new Switch model is planned to release for the end of year shopping season, with analysts tipping the price tag at $400.

Again, we should take these news with a pinch of salt as Bloomberg's sources "asked not to be identified because the plan is not public". But rumors around a Switch Pro model have been circulating for a while now. Would you buy one with these specs at this price at the end of this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds pretty tempting and while I don't have a 4K display, it sounds pretty neat
only thing that puts me off is the $400 price tag. its about $100 than the regular switch in the US.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't get a Switch the first time around, since I think it's best to wait sometimes to see if and when they upgrade a console and/or handheld and such. Is this real though we'll have to wait and see since it is just another rumor.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BOTW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 moved to Switch 4K, original model owners left out in the cold.

Nah if they did that probably they'd be on both or at least the one that comes out closest to the launch.
Will be like the new 3DS. Few developers will care to give an exclusive version. Missing out on some enhancement you get for free yes, new exclusive software probably very few and will be coming from those that didn't learn their lesson from the New 3DS.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo Bait and Switch

On a more serious note it's hard to imagine the switch in it's current formfactor to run 4k decently considering how much more beefy the hardware should be to produce native 4k graphics, let alone the cooling being more than inadequate if it would stay similar to how it is now.
If any of the rumors are real I wonder how different the console will be. But I think it will just be DLSS and upscaling instead of actual 4k.
You only have to look at PS5 to see how big the big switch will be. I bet it will have the enhanced load speed you get from PS5.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, not this specifically, but the N3DS did have its own games.
your talking about those 2 exclusive games? lol a port from the wii and minecraft? that is hardly anything to talk about imo, every other 3ds game just works on regular 3ds even if worse performance.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the whole rumor about nintendo is not a rumor, its been confirmed nvidia are no longer manufacturing that chip and have allocated enough units for nintendo to continue while they either find an alternative or upgrade to nvidias new chip.

so to be fair, its not that nintendo are the ones deciding to do a "pro" its the fact its chip is old and supplier is ending manufacturing, moving onto newer chips.

thing is, will nintendo front this cost, or will they go for a cheaper alternative to offer similar or subpar.

plus if it does move to 4K, then thats the carts pretty much fucking the customer over, they find it hard to fit old last gen ports without requiring downloads for a 720/1080p game, never mind 4K textures.

will nintendo front some cash to actually provide cheaper game carts with larger storage, larger internal than an embarassing measly 32gb.

then you got to consider these games still need to support older models, so thats going to say the cart is base only, 4K likely download, so will nintendo front more money to replace its shit wifi card and improve its network to increase speeds.

think nintendo just need to leave the switch, as theyve killed off the 3ds, let it replace the handheld market and give us an actual home console capable of playing next gen titles so we dont have to wait years later for them to yet again catch up, and what would be cool, add a switch card slot.
This having a "improved" CPU thing Nintendo has done a few times in the past already. When I saw those words it spell "lame". I think this may be the New Switch very much like the New 3DS. Probably more ram to play with which the game won't use but the applet will, faster load time, frame rate improvement and better rendering of the same game resource thanks to the enhanced HW. Out put a 4K signal that a TV stick can already do for many years. Use DLSS to make a 1080p native screen look nice on a 4K TV?

Last edited by TomSwitch,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
people forget that dlss is not native 4k so there isnt a need of being as powerful as a ps4 pro even, dlss does save alot of recources even if upscalled, upscalled 4k is still better than just 1080p.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 afaik. Very worth it to release a new switch console. Wow.
I mean, people buy the stronger revisions all the time. Would be a bonus, if there are any exclusive games at all.

your talking about those 2 exclusive games? lol a port from the wii and minecraft? that is hardly anything to talk about imo, every other 3ds game just works on regular 3ds even if worse performance.
I was just saying it possible.

Reactions: rad140

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that these sites are still pushing a new SoC as a thing that will happen is the funniest meme and will lead to many people being disappointed.

I don't think we can take the current firmware entry as gospel. We already have Calico which hasn't shown up anywhere, Alua could also be a dead end.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what people forget about DLSS is that the game has to be able to run at the lower resolutions before you try to upscale it. The current switch can only do 720p at best with third party games. I am finding it hard to believe they will put a laptop grade GPU into a small handheld, especially at a very much smaller price point. If DLSS were to be true, it's gonna be on a docked only switch

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm starting to feel like this isn't a matter of if, but of when. The current switch is starting to show it's age. Especially since I've bought a 1440p monitor. I'd buy one

Reactions: rad140

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah right will it use DLSS nintendo never use the latest tech they ALWAYS choose the dated tech because it saves them $. forget about getting a nintendo console for the latest games it won't happen. they don't care about making a serious console their too obsessed on portability that's why the switch pro or whatever it is still won't be able to cut it as long as the switch is a portable it won't be a console.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
D

Deleted User

I'm starting to feel like this isn't a matter of if, but of when. The current switch is starting to show it's age. Especially since I've bought a 1440p monitor. I'd buy one
the only consoles that natively support 1440p output are the Xbox One/Series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent