BloodStained - Castlevania Successor revealed

Koji Igarashi of Castlevania fame has finally shown what he's been working on since leaving Konami, and it looks glorious.
bs1.png
bswow.png
bs.png bs2.png bs3.png bs4.png

Target platforms are PS4, PC, Linux & XboxOne.

:arrow:Bloodstained Kickstarter

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm excited. I've been itching for a new Metroidvania experience. Too bad it doesn't look like we'll get a 3DS port, but at least there will be a native Linux port.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
*sigh* I don't want to back another Kickstarter, but at the same time, I want this. Well, if Yooka Laylee can get over $2,000,000 USD in funding, I think this game should be able to manage at least the $850,000 they're hoping for. All in all, the Kickstarter is a little more creative in that they engineer a lot of it around building hype for the project rather than just getting funding for it

I just can't figure out if I should give $60 for the physical edition, or $28 for the digital edition.

Reactions: Kioku

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
*sigh* I don't want to back another Kickstarter, but at the same time, I want this. Well, if Yooka Laylee can get over $2,000,000 USD in funding, I think this game should be able to manage at least the $850,000 they're hoping for. All in all, the Kickstarter is a little more creative in that they engineer a lot of it around building hype for the project rather than just getting funding for it

I just can't figure out if I should give $60 for the physical edition, or $28 for the digital edition.
Yeah I think that's pretty awesome, I like the idea to incorporate twitter and fan art, and not just funding goals :) I wish more would do that actually.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just noticed the PC versions will be DRMed with Steam. What's the point of a physical copy if it uses online DRM, anyway? Well, that leaves the PC version out for me. I don't have any intention to get a PS4 or Xbox One. This just went from exciting news to disappointing.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just noticed the PC versions will be DRMed with Steam. What's the point of a physical copy if it uses online DRM, anyway? Well, that leaves the PC version out for me. I don't have any intention to get a PS4 or Xbox One. This just went from exciting news to disappointing.
What's so wrong with steam's online DRM? When my internet was down several weeks, I noticed that Steam worked just as well in offline mode, apart from cloud saves obviously.
(just curious, not hating on your reasons to dislike steam)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Bow down to god Gaben already, you infidel!

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's so wrong with steam's online DRM? When my internet was down several weeks, I noticed that Steam worked just as well in offline mode, apart from cloud saves obviously.
(just curious, not hating on your reasons to dislike steam)

Last I checked, if there's any major change to the system, it does ask you to go online before you can play any games again. When I buy a game, I essentially buy it for life. I still have discs (and even some floppies) of my old PC games (especially cartridges/discs for my old consoles) and they all still work, given the right virtual environment/emulator.

With Steam, if their service goes down, I lose internet, they pull support for a game, or they decide to remove offline mode, there's no guarantee I can play that game again without rebuying it elsewhere. I prefer to stick to DRM free copies on PC and physical copies on consoles/handhelds. It cuts out a lot of variables that are out of your hands that way.

Digital.One.Entity

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesn't come out on WiiU I am dissapoint :sad:

Would be a Crime really of IGA doesn't respect Nin10Doh's role in the mass success of the 'Vania series on Console & Handheld throughout the years....damn crime :gun:

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Last I checked, if there's any major change to the system, it does ask you to go online before you can play any games again. When I buy a game, I essentially buy it for life. I still have discs (and even some floppies) of my old PC games (especially cartridges/discs for my old consoles) and they all still work, given the right virtual environment/emulator.

With Steam, if their service goes down, I lose internet, they pull support for a game, or they decide to remove offline mode, there's no guarantee I can play that game again without rebuying it elsewhere. I prefer to stick to DRM free copies on PC and physical copies on consoles/handhelds. It cuts out a lot of variables that are out of your hands that way.
Alright, well, it's a good thing people don't tend to do major changes to their systems that often (especially while lacking internet). I do buy my games for life too, except those I've gone fully digital with. But if you have a game with game data on discs but require steam, there are cracks for it to download if steam would cease to exist in the future. It wouldn't be much different to your virtual environments and emulators for older games. Especially considering the games of today most probably will be considered old when (if) steam goes away. :)

That's my opinion on that matter, but i totally respect your opinion as well.

Reactions: TecXero

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
way to go, making this resemble order of ecclesia so much. remember? order of ecclesia? the worst selling of the gba-ds metroidvania games?

being absolutely honest, I'd much rather have a metroidvania that goes into a different direction entirely... i mean, between metroids planetary dungeons and castlevanias bigass castle, can't we have the same formula in a different setting?

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
way to go, making this resemble order of ecclesia so much. remember? order of ecclesia? the worst selling of the gba-ds metroidvania games?

being absolutely honest, I'd much rather have a metroidvania that goes into a different direction entirely... i mean, between metroids planetary dungeons and castlevanias bigass castle, can't we have the same formula in a different setting?

The only thing I remember about Order of Ecclesia is that incredible DS game I loved, and the time I threw into going through the training hall once and again because I loved how the platforms gameplay of that sector felt.
I didn't know it didn't sell well, such a pity.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Some video...if you don't know this guy created castlevania (and to be honest: I had no idea :shy: ), I would have no idea what he was talking about. And to be honest...I still don't. It's basically "hey guys...I'm making a video game".
I don't know if it's intentional, but around 2:08 in the video, it kind of illustrates pretty literal how they're trying to squeeze every penny out of people backing it. :P

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Feminine protagonist?? instabuy............. once it comes out.
the game is funded soooo.... th-thanks Kickstarter I guess.

I'm not a fan of Kickstarter and have only funded Shantae Half Genie Hero because I really wanted it to get done. but for other projects seeing how they get funded almost by itself in a couple hours I just prefer to wait.

the surprising thing is that is like every former developer of a big company is starting to revel and doing his own thing that said big company didn't leave it to do. and all of them in Kickstarter, I smell conspiracy :tpi:

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some video...if you don't know this guy created castlevania (and to be honest: I had no idea :shy: ), I would have no idea what he was talking about. And to be honest...I still don't. It's basically "hey guys...I'm making a video game".
I don't know if it's intentional, but around 2:08 in the video, it kind of illustrates pretty literal how they're trying to squeeze every penny out of people backing it. :P

Quoting myself quoting again:

If they can comeback with an awesome "Contra" remake maybe...just maybe...

Contra is too hardcore, it is the opposite way of their new direction. Citing an interview to Igarashi from Polygon:
Igarashi said:
"The more hardcore the game... the less suitable it is for the casual market,"[...]
"Unfortunately, I'm good at making core experiences, so it was two years of making a game that leaned too 'hardcore' for the social market. So it was canceled. Then I'd try again and be canceled. And again and be canceled."[...]
Igarashi's move from creating core games to social games was largely driven by Konami's internal direction, he said. He stepped away from making 2D Castlevania games because, he said, while Konami recognized that its 2D legacy franchises had a passionate fanbase, it saw the video game business moving in a different direction.[...]
So, emboldened by fans' requests and disappointed by his inability to complete the social games he was developing, he left Konami.

SOURCE
Konami can burn in hell already.
He just wants to make his games, that for me are his GOOD OLD games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1