Hacking Blocking updates & backing up Wiware/VC games

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I recently SoftModded my wii. I have the Wii Backup Launcher, GC Backup Launcher and DVD Dump channels installed. I have a few addtional questions which I am having a hard time finding.

My firmware ver is 3.3u and still have not gone online.

1. What addtional mods should I install, such as to block updates from discs and online?

2. If I buy any games from Nintendo (Wiware or VC) how can I back them up properly so they will run any Wii? I read something about Starfall but that seems to only run on 3.2

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the fast reply and the info Det1re. I've been searching for a while and even posted on several other forums and couldn't get any info so I really apperiate it.

Bootmii looks like it also offers date protection to make your Wii unbrickable, so is that the better choice?

Where can I download Waninkoko's Wad Creator 1.0? I google it but can't find any links but I will keep looking.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is Waninkoko's original link for his WAD Creator.

For what Preloader can do (and BootMii can't right now) is, that you can enable various hacks, for example to move the Disc Channel, disable the anoying BG Music etc.

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My concern is blocking updates + creating an unbrickable wii, however being able to move the disc channel and disbale the music is a plus.

The preloader + WAD Creator are .dol files, so can I just put them in my "apps" director on my SD card and load them from the Homebrew Channel? Or do I have to run the Twlight Hack again?

I used some batch WAD installer w/ the twilight hack and it formatted my card and added the channels I needed (cIOS36 rev9, DVD Dumper, Wii Backup, GC Backup) channels. This is the first time I am manually doing anything.

Thanks again for all your help and sorry for the newbie questions, just don't want to feck this up
wink.gif

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So:

To block updates from discs you should use preloader (yes it is a .dol) with a working hack for your Wii (Firmware version & region is important).

WAD Creator is a dol as well, so you can put it in sd:/apps/wadcreator/ (don't forget to rename the app to boot.dol). The program itself is pretty self-explanatory — you should have no problem there.

You should (before installing preloader) download and install BootMii on your Wii. If your Wii is "old" enogh to have a exploitable boot1 you'll have the possibility to install it as boot2. You should read and understand the release news on hackmii.com so you know, what you're doing. If you can not install it as boot2, preloader is the only thing, that gives you a chance of making your Wii unbrickable — to be clear, Preloader can help you recover your Wii from most bricks.

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WAD creator sounds pretty straight forward, thanks I renamed it to boot.dol
smile.gif

OK so the first thing I want to do is figure out how to install the Bootmii. I don't know when my Wii was made? I just purchased it about 3 weeks ago and want to do everything now while it is still under the 30-day warnty.

It's region is USA, firmware is 3.3u

I have been reading on how to install Bootmii but not sure what to do with an .elf file? The readme.txt and Wiibrew doesn't really explain it, just says "using your favorite method (HBC, Twilight Hack, or any other exploit which can load standard executables)" I never loaded an executable before.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's the same as with WAD Creator. Copy the .elf into sd:/apps/**dir**/ and rename it to boot.elf. It will then be accessible through the Homebrew Channel.

(replace "**dir**" with anything you want).

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all your help Det1re - that's simple
smile.gif

I'm about ready to try this.

1. Is it a big risk trying to install the "BootMii/boot2" mode? Aside from the power going out and those risks, if my wii isn't compataible will it simply not install?

2. If I can run the boot2 do I have to install preloader as well?

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
(1) If your Wii is not compatible, the installer should state, it can only be installed as IOS (which is pretty useless at the moment).

(2) You don't have to.

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says that it cannot be installed as boot2.

Since boot1 is useless, should I just install the preloader instead or install both?

tubebar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I installed both, no problems. Bootmii created some backup data on the SD card, what do I want to use that for?

Do I need to do anything w/ preloader such as create any backup data or am I good to go?

Thanks for all the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse