Hacking Block N's updates by IP

lembi2001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know you can block the updates using the full domain names and by changing DNS but does anyone know if it's possible to block the IP's?

If I ping the domains I will get an IP or them but I'm not 100% sure they are static.

Can anyone confirm if they are? I need to block via IP as my router does not allow me to block domains, pfft!

I will of course use uDNS too but every little safeguard helps :)

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you can block the updates using the full domain names and by changing DNS but does anyone know if it's possible to block the IP's?

If I ping the domains I will get an IP or them but I'm not 100% sure they are static.

Can anyone confirm if they are? I need to block via IP as my router does not allow me to block domains, pfft!

I will of course use uDNS too but every little safeguard helps :)
Most CDNs use static IPs so I think your good.

Reactions: lembi2001

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Most CDNs use static IPs so I think your good.

I thought that would be the case. Thanks for that :)

Your not actually good to do that, the idea of a CDN is to serve you the data from the location closest to you. In the location closest to you their could be many 1000's of servers which make up that CDN, so you have no guarantee you are always going to get the same server responding to your request.

For example ping google.co.uk from different locations, you will get responses from different IP addresses. So to block google.co.uk on your network you would have to block the hostname, not one of the many servers which could serve your request.

For example:

Top google.co.uk pinged from a dedicated server
Bottom google.co.uk pinged from my internet connection

2pq3pmp.jpg

The IP which responds is different.

Reactions: Conn0r

lembi2001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Your not actually good to do that, the idea of a CDN is to serve you the data from the location closest to you. In the location closest to you their could be many 1000's of servers which make up that CDN, so you have no guarantee you are always going to get the same server responding to your request.

For example ping google.co.uk from different locations, you will get responses from different IP addresses. So to block google.co.uk on your network you would have to block the hostname, not one of the many servers which could serve your request.

For example:

Top google.co.uk pinged from a dedicated server
Bottom google.co.uk pinged from my internet connection

2pq3pmp.jpg

The IP which responds is different.

Well that's annoying!! Crappy Virgin Media Superhub 3.0 removed the URL/Domain blocking feature. Looks like DNS-u is my only option then. CBA setting up OpenDNS.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Well that's annoying!! Crappy Virgin Media Superhub 3.0 removed the URL/Domain blocking feature. Looks like DNS-u is my only option then. CBA setting up OpenDNS.

You'd be better off putting the SuberHub in modem mode and using your own router. If you have an old PC laying around you could get another network card for it and install PfSense. It's free, easy to use and has more features than your ever going to get on home router you purchase.

Reactions: lembi2001

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.