BlizzCon news summary: Warcraft 3 Remaster, WoW Classic, new Overwatch hero

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nomelas

Nomelas GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    Justified? Justified would be if they actually payed money for something and didn't get what they paid for. Being outright disrespectful is completely unjustified and makes them sounds very entitled to me. You know, the time between the D2 expansion and D3 release was something like 11 years. If you don't like mobile games, don't play them. It's not hurting anyone.

I'm a huge Diablo fan, and am disappointed that we didn't get to see any mention of Diablo 4. But guess what, life goes on, and maybe we'll hear something about it next year. That's if Blizzard actually decided to do a BlizzCon next year, and I don't blame them if they don't.

To put it into perspective, they sound like little kids on Christmas, who got all kinds of toys and gifts, but just not the one thing they wanted the most, so they threw temper tantrums, cursed out their parents, and ruined Christmas.

This article pretty much sums up everything: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...one-needs-to-chill-out-about-diablo-immortal/

Last edited by Nomelas, Nov 3, 2018
  2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    To be honest I'm only remotely interested in Warcraft 3, I think both Overwatch and WOW are overrated to high heaven.

3. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    WAT? no Warcraft 4 news yet? this is just sad

Noctosphere likes this.
  4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    and tmblr is still triggered about the fact its a white woman and not another minority :rofl2:

[​IMG]

5. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Why would you seek out Tumblr's opinion on anything? Just like Gab before it shut down, you pretty much know where they stand on any given subject.

Holy shit though that Diablo mobile game is the dumbest possible development decision Blizzard could have made for the series. Not that I expected much after the shitshow which was Diablo 3 at launch, but somehow I was still disappointed.

Last edited by Xzi, Nov 4, 2018
  6. CSpiritsong

CSpiritsong Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    Malaysia

The two questions, one by a red shirt guy, and the other, who called himself "Fluffy" (or something similar to that), are both really valid questions.

1. The first question, is "if this is an off-season April Fool's Joke", is valid. This is Blizzcon. People pay good money to be at Blizzcon. They pay more to fly there, and to stay for a few days, even if they're not journalists. They are there to celebrate everything Blizzard. To put into perspective, they (the blizzcon-goers) booed off a man who went up the stage (who was from Activision) to announce a certain game is now up for free if you claim it (base game). They booed him off. Not because the game went free. It's because the whole damn thing had nothing to do with Blizzard, or what it stands for.

Going into mobile may be a gamble by Blizzard. However, look at the trends in mobile gaming, and as one of their developers said "look at the central themes in all our games, you'll see a pattern". That insinuates that Blizzard is more than happy to milk the Intellectual Property (in this case, Diablo) in any way they can. Going into mobile, is fine. However, when taken in context of the history of Diablo, and the circumstances surrounding Diablo Immortal, then there's some red flags that deserves scrutiny.

1. Blizzard mentions that "the Diablo Immortal" team is not the main Diablo team. This insinuates 2 problems. The first, is that they're clearly separate, even if Blizzard wants to say "they're working in the same creative direction. The second is that it means Blizzard isn't 100%. As in they don't have 100% control of the project. This is, in historical context, Blizzard has always VERY TIGHT control of their products, including the shelved ones. Due to "not being up to standard". Those who "survived" the Westwood Studio's absorbtion and dismantling by EA, especially their Dune, C&C franchise would know very well what it meant when Warcraft, Starcraft was a contender of high standards, and what Blizzard did to make sure that they did all they could to put out a high quality game.

2. Blizzard mentions that there are "multiple ongoing Diablo" projects, and again in referencing to point A, is Diablo Immortal canon? (I believe it is). Is the quality of the storytelling going to be up to par? The trailer is up to par. The gameplay? Its a bloody re-skin. Blizzard has released Diablo 3 for an "underpowered" Switch, compared to other consoles, so if you take this nonsense called Diablo Immortal and Diablo 3 for Switch, you'll get an idea what "standards". Again, it references back to point #1. As a matter of fact, Rhykker who is a prominent Diablo3 youtuber, just released a video about his first impressions of playing Diablo 3 on Nintendo Switch, and he likes it, seeing that he exclusively played Diablo3 entirely on a PC prior to this.

Now, 2. The second question.
    "Can we play this on PC, or is this a mobile only" question.
    That question itself is legitimate. Diablo franchise was always released first on the PC. Then others. Now we're getting a brand new diablo, that's released on Mobile, but no for console (even if there was a hint for a Nintendo Switch release), and nothing for PC. So why the discrimination? Anyone can play on their phone, but there are people that choose not to. I choose not to play on my phone, that's why I bought a Switch as a console, when I don't want to play games on my PC / Laptop.

IF that is considered "entitled", you're entitled to your opinion, but calling that as "unjustified" is utter nonsense, garbage, and completely missing the point that the 2 persons asked a question about.

MadMageKefka and Maximilious like this.
  7. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Guess now they have to switch to Battlefield :rolleyes:

8. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Wanna know who I Blame?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

9. DarkWork0

DarkWork0 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2011
    United States
    Looks like they took some of the art from Diablo III, made "endless of god", then pitched it as Diablo Immortal to Blizzard.

10. Spoda

Spoda Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Is Warcraft 3 a MOBA like Dota 2?

11. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    No, it's an RTS
    We WC3/SC2 players are still waiting for a WC4 actually
    But it certainly won't happen because blibli make already so much money with WOW :(

12. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Yeah, just a "patch" that changes the engine, updates the 3d models and textures, the audio, the modding tools and all that, basically a whole new game...

Last edited by Idaho, Nov 5, 2018
  13. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Seems people are not happy about phone diablo

[​IMG]

Idaho likes this.
  14. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    damn... never saw that before...
    How ungrateful...

15. Idaho

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Why would an hardcore PC fanbase be grateful about no content being announced on PC and Blizzard announcing a shitty mobile game instead?

16. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    here you go

17. Idaho

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    yeah well sorry but if you're going to be sarcastic in a written style you'd have to at least give a few hints about the tone in which your sentence must be read or it'll be very easy to miss on your intent...

18. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    I have to disagree. While it was in a rather rude manner, the fans were showing displeasure with the choices made by the company. When you are a gaming empire built by said fan's dedication to you and your amazing content, I think that's an important message to get across. You can't simply cheer for something you hate, or even just stay quiet, otherwise the parties responsible will get the wrong idea. They even had the nerve to get upset and ask "What? You guys don't have phones?" which shows they clearly don't understand our frustration. Yes, we have phones. We also have toaster ovens, that doesn't mean we wanna play Diablo on them.

The Diablo series has been through some VERY rough times since Diablo 2 LoD. The 3rd game is better now, but when it initially released, it was pure garbage. 17 years later, almost 2 full decades, and *this* is the big game they have to announce? I'm sorry if you like mobile games or whatever your reason is for defending this garbage, but this is a HUGE slap in the face to any Diablo fan.

...and don't even get me started on the quality. They signed with some crappy Chinese mobile game company, and basically reskinned an existing game to look like Diablo, and contain its characters.