BlizzCon news summary: Warcraft 3 Remaster, WoW Classic, new Overwatch hero

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 2, 2018.

Front-page
    blizzCon-2013-logo.

Over in Anaheim California, Blizzard is holding its 12th annual convention of all things related to World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Hearthstone, and more at BlizzCon 2018. The opening ceremony has just winded down, with lots of major news already pouring out of the event. We'll be summarizing all of the announcements here.

New Overwatch Hero, Ashe

Ashe will be the next character added to Overwatch, a leader of a western themed thieves gang. The above video shows her gameplay reveal. Blizzard also released one of their animated cinematic shorts, focusing on the other western gunslinger, McCree.

WoW Classic gets a release window

World of Warcraft Classic is a return to the older days of Blizzard's popular MMO, stylizing it just how things were 14 years ago. So long as you're a subscriber to World of Warcraft, you'll be able to play Classic as well. This will be available sometime in Summer of 2019.

Destiny 2 is free for a limited time on Battle.net

To celebrate a one year anniversary of Destiny being on Blizzard's Battle.net client, Destiny 2 will be given away free to those who claim the game before November 18th.

Warcraft 3 gets a remastered version

If you're a fan of Warcraft 3, you'll be excited to know that the game is getting fully remastered in Warcraft 3: Reforged. There's no release date, but the remaster will have remodeled characters and improved environment textures. Warcraft 3 originally launched in 2002 for Mac and PC. The World Editor tool will also be brought back as well.

Heroes of the Storm gets new character

Heroes of the Storm is also getting a new playable character added to its lineup, in the form of Orphea. Blizzard uploaded a full trailer detailing her history and lore within the game.

Diablo gets a mobile release

Though it's not the Diablo 4 everyone has been waiting for, Blizzard will be bringing Diablo to mobile in a brand new MMORPG. Both iOS and Android will be getting Diablo Immortal, which tells a story taking place between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3.

Discussion (57 replies)
  1. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Yes! A Warcraft 3 Remaster! Hopefully they use that as abit of a training for Warcraft 4 ;)

SpiffyJUNIOR, Soulsilve2010 and Xzi like this.
  2. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    Warcraft3 was amazing - I can't wait to replay it!

3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    just to be clear: Ashe's ult is Bob! Not bomb.

4. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I will never get the point of PC remasters.

NutymcNuty likes this.
  5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Warcraft 3 remaster? :)

Warcraft 3 remaster! :yay::yay::yay::toot::hrth:

(oh, and without sarcasm : I'm interested in mobile diablo as well. It's just that my expectations aren't high for it)

6. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Oh, Diablo Immortal? Hopefully it's more like a full featured arpg like it's desktop sibling... And not some "Select a Mission" 2 minute dungeon run gimmick.

7. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Diablo Immortal.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The forums are on fire. It's a mobile game.

And look what happened at the Q&A

SpiffyJUNIOR and MarkDarkness like this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Why quote me and then link a video that's in the OP? I'm confused.

9. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    Oh boy, a free game! It's a shame that it's overall installation size is 80GB!! :wtf:

Last edited by RedoLane, Nov 2, 2018
  10. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    I actually meant to link to the second video I linked to, apologies for the confusion.

Memoir likes this.
  11. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Unique, but pretty weird that Bob isn't his own character.

12. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    In the case of some PC remasters, they are for games running on old technology that may no longer even run properly on current versions of Windows without some sort of workaround. This is often times the case with games that still use DirectDraw. There are also some cases where multiplayer in an older title may not function as intended because network technology has also changed, or in a case such as with Microsoft games, the MSN Gaming Zone, and similar services that served as a hub for multiplayer are no longer available. Thus, if there is enough demand for it, the game is remastered.

Last edited by Delerious, Nov 2, 2018
  13. 77Urmel77

77Urmel77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2013
    Germany
    netease reskinned their existing game "endless of god" to "diablo immortal"

Last edited by 77Urmel77, Nov 2, 2018
    SpiffyJUNIOR likes this.
  14. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    or they could just put out a patch?

15. THEGUY3ds

THEGUY3ds GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2018
    Australia
    In The galaxy
  16. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    Don't even need to do that. Just accept the gift in your battlenet launcher, and you're good to go.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Doesn't always work. Other issues may come into play. Sometimes it's just easier to remaster the game from the ground up.

MarkDarkness likes this.
  17. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Yet another woman in Overwatch. Still no relatable male role models.
    And Blizzard complains about toxicity in their game full of attractive females and rogue male characters

MarkDarkness likes this.
  18. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    the game hardly works, in the case of the 2D games they didnt work in widescreen.

19. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBATemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    blizzard has become a waifu machine. not complaining, just pointing it out.

weird coming from a girl. normally the roosters are the other way around and girls complain that there are not enough female characters.
    the toxicity doesn't come from the crowd that the characters are bringing, but from people that doesn't know how to play competitively tbh. there are a number of people that joins competitive mode without the intention of winning but to play what they want without taking into account if said hero is a good choice for the situation or not (one tricks) and others that don't try to coordinate with the team while that is what you need to win (not joining chat/ignoring it).

20. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I'm quite satisfied with the female characters and I think characters like D.Va and Tracer are good role models, especially since D.Va has a positrive gamer attitude. But I feel like the positive male role model is missing from a game that sells itself on it's large, diverse roster, especially since a lot of impressionable teenage boys spend hours in the game.

Sakitoshi likes this.