Blizzard reportedly had Diablo 4 ready to announce at Blizzcon, but pulled it at the last moment

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    I'd trust the "reskin" comments more if they came from people that actually played these Chinese games, and at least looked at recorded Immortal footage rather than the trailer. It seems to be coming from a place of ignorance and everyone is so quick to repeat it for whatever reason.

I don't doubt that Netease recycles a number of things like the UI, but at the end of the day, what matters is whether the gameplay and art is anywhere near Diablo standards or not. The real proof is in playing the game but the recorded footage I've seen feels an awful lot like D3 lite, which is basically the best you can hope for from a mobile Diablo ARPG.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    This is rather obvious damage control.

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    They deserve every harsh and heated complaint they've received.

4. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    I only liked the first Diablo. I mean, really, what's so different gameplay wise that it warrants 4 games?
    The story is laughable, so there can be only microtransactions added, so you can buy loin cloths for your virtual self and run around clicking stuff.

5. AtsuNii

AtsuNii Advanced Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    AtsuNii is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 20, 2018
    Antarctica
    DinohScene's bed
    I saw clips however them saying that PC wasnt in their minds yet. I'm not sure of that was them trying to control the hype, but how they only annouched a mobile version was just a kick in the stomach for the hardcore diablo fans.

6. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Hate brings in more attention, I assume everyone will forget about it one 4 releases or just skip to 6 so they can be even more satanic.

7. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    My guess of Blizz not announcing D4 is because they don't want to be like Square Enix with their FF7 Remake announcement a few years back.

8. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Maybe this translates to "They had D4 ready to be announced, but forgot they needed to make more sales off of D3 for the Switch first" lol

9. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Diablo is a lot different. It's more about killing hoards of enemies, collecting loot and slowly findings new and better gear.
    They're both action combat but Diablo's combat is significantly different. You could pretty easily find Diablo 2/3 videos on youtube that show off what it's like, but it's definitely nothing like Zelda.

10. _______

_______  

May 13, 2016
    Japan
    Latest update on this matter is that Blizzard said they didn't pull anything from Blizzcon. (source: IGN)

11. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure they were gonna report it.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Not be prepared to commit to a release date, demo, beta, platform list... all reasonably understandable but a last minute pull for a simple "we are working on it"? This is the same industry that gives us announcements of announcements of dates for trailers.

Anyway I really liked 1, 2 did some interesting things. 3 by virtue of the online only thing was skipped. If they were going to go back to basics and give me a nice LAN/co-op dungeon crawler (a rarity these days, plenty of great single player options but fewer multiplayer) I would have been happy.

Instead we get a churned out, most likely quick and dirty reskin, effort for andrios or whatever... oh well.

13. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    how so?? you say that they deserve hate for creating games?? that's entitlement at it's finest.
    if you don't like it then don't buy it, that's how it works.

14. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nope, they deserve backlash for their "don't you have phones?" PR bullshit response. If people hate the game being locked to mobile only, that's their right because it's a dick move.

15. THEGUY3ds

THEGUY3ds Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2018
    Australia
    In The galaxy
    I can’t wait until Diablo 4 beta comes out.:D

16. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    isn't the same as any company releasing anything in their platform of choice?? does nintendo deserves a similar treatment for not releasing mario on pc?? how isn't that being entitled??
    since they are announcing a mobile game it's pretty obvious that it wont release anywhere else.

17. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    Part of me want to say that it sound plausible, but part of me is bugged by one thing...
    > Kotaku
    Sorry, i would rather believe that Aliens warped the timeline to replace Diablo 4 with Immortal than whatever Kotaku is saying. They are the last gaming info source that i consider truthful.

18. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Sorry but I just don't believe this rumor. So they are supposedly "not being fully prepared to commit to an official announcement". I know that a lot of gamers go plain nuts over release dates and announcements, but this is just ridiculous. They simply didn't have anything to announce in that field, so some disgruntled game "journalist" pulled this shit out of his ass to create controversy.
    It wasn't the only announcement, dude. Besides... How many of that audience do you think wouldn't have a fancy smartphone?
    I get it : mobile games have a bad reputation. But their technological capabilities grow much faster than the pc, and the majority of issues isn't even there but in the monetisation department, so it can be fixed. They'd be stupid NOT to tap in that market.

19. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Point is that they didn't have to announce that at Blizzcon. They could've announced it at any time before or after, and just mentioned D4 in the works during. I'd be pissed if I had paid for a ticket to that just to be condescendingly asked, "Do yOu GuYS NOt hAvE a PHonE?" However, since I know better than to expect anything of the Diablo team at this point, and since I've never been to Blizzcon, I don't really care. Still a massive failure in terms of pissing off their core audience.

20. Exavold

Exavold eeh

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    I doubt can make a good """"""""true"""""""" Diablo game now, anyways.

They've lost the staff that made Diablo so good.