Blizzard Removing Diablo III's Auction House

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Going once, going twice... told!

:arrow:Battle.net

They're dismantling it? Jeez, I know it was condemned by players, Blizzard, but you didn't have to take it so literally.

Anyway, this isn't too much of a surprise. Blizzard employees have all but said that the service was a total failure, and it was even removed from the recently released console ports. Some might say it's two years too late, but hey, better that than never, right? Right? Guys?

Also, keep in mind, this doesn't remove the "always online" mode from the game at all. So yeah, Diablo III may still dia-blow, but at least it'll do so just a little bit less.

DarkShinigami and Satangel like this.
  2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Alternative title: "Blizzard kills capitalism, dirty commies win."

3. AngryGeek416

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    I like this, it's just a little to late.

4. gokujr1000

gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 10, 2008
    Gallifrey
    And here I am still playing Diablo 2 not knowing that the auction house even existed in Diablo 3.

5. deathking

deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    This is incredibly stupid , how are trades going to be done now - trade channels , spamming chat , spamming blizards page , d2j ?

How about keep the in game auction house because now you are asking people to go outside of blizzard and get scammed .

6. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Not only is this way too late, but it's not even going away for six more months.

Thanatos Telos and DiabloStorm like this.
  7. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Irish ex captain

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Like anyone cares about Diablo III now.

8. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I don't think so. I am fine with this. =)

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'm actually surprised at how many people actually use the auction house.

I played the game the first month or so, and in all that time I only used it once to buy gems that dropped pretty much never (with ingame money for which I had pretty much zero actual use). Of course I understand your gear becomes increasingly more important with the more difficult levels, but I had no idea that it's such a common practice to just buy the gear from other players.

Other than that...yeah. A bit too late, indeed.

10. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    What we need is a lobby system like in D2 so we can have games specifically for trading.

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    if this ties with the expansion, i'll play again.
    Assuming the expansion is either free or at the very most, $15 or under. Not going to pay any more than that to fix my damn game.

The auction house should've died sooner, but meh. Better late than never i'd say. If they truly and properly fix gear in the expansion, then D3 might actually be worth playing a bit more. But even still it feels inferior to Diablo 2.

Diablo 2 is getting by just fine to this very day without an auction house. Its unncessary if they implement another way to to trade.

I'd really like to see the way Diablo 2 games were handled, but in a more modern fashion. (like being able to search game titles, filter things out, etc).

12. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    The gold and real money auction houses have been dying and the player base has been dropping off rapidly, that is why they are getting rid of them.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Superficially I do not think this is a good move (RMAH was a great concept, possibly badly executed), in practice if that is what their analysts and/or numbers are telling them then I guess they have to.

I hope it has not damaged the concept too much for the next people at Blizzard's level considering the idea to give it a try.

14. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    It failed because it ruined the whole point of grinding for gear that has made franchises like Diablo popular, hence why it was a bad idea. People were pissed off about it initially when they announced it as a feature prior to the games release, player numbers have dipped heavily since release and the game isn't enjoyable when the pay to win and 'farm for gold to buy your items because you get terrible drops' are your design models, it does not make for a happy player base. I can almost guarantee you that the removal of the auction house will have people flocking back in droves come expansion time. If they wanted to keep it for trading crafting related items, gems and vanity items, that would be fine. They really do need to make the crafting system more viable and less of a massive gold sink for max level players.

15. Thanatos Telos

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Given your username, I thought you'd love this.

DiabloStorm likes this.
  16. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I hadn't played the game for about 10 months now. Think this is a good time to log on, and attempt to sell all my high-quality gear, even if I have to sell it cheap?