t7g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bliight is released; http://tinyurl.com/bliight - Gentoo on your Wii

After many days of screwing around with Gentoo on my Wii (compiling, linking, configuring) I have finally put together a beta release for everyone to try. It is installed in the same manner as whiite, using two partitions. You absolutely must have about 1.4gb available to use it, so if you have a 2gb sdcard then keep the size of your first (homebrew channel) partition under 512mb to have ~148mb or so left with a 68meg swapfile included.

It pretty much features what you've already come to expect from a Wii Linux distro, including a little bit more.

Installed Applications;

- Development
Automakes and confs and builds and blahreah
distcc, Distributed C compiler
ccache, compiler cache
crossdev, for cross compiling over distcc, with custom ppc wrapper script.
cvs, omg is so old.
git, for your source getting needs
GCC 4.1.2
GCC 4.3.2 (default compiler)
GC-Linux patched libSDL
layman, for portage overlays
Portage (duh, doesn't come with a tree, get a snapshot or emerge --sync. I warn ya, it's big though, 600m at least.
svn, for your other source getting needs
- Editors
gEdit for your textfiles
gHex for your binary files
nano for the console freak in you

- Emulators
DosBox, self explainatory
snes9x with snes9express frontend
visualboyadvance with gnomevisualboy frontend or whatnot
FCEUltra, no frontend.
hAtari, the sys roms are installed? (emutos, the free ones) but I don't have it configured to use them
VICE, for the kid in you. (I was surprised at how many emulators came with it...)
...including, xvic, x64, x128, xpet, xplus4, xcbm2, vsid, c1541, and I think petcat and cartconv are utils.

- Games
JumpnBump (jumpnbump)
Gnome games package... including...
gnibbles, gnobots, glines, gnetc, mahjongg, gnomine, gnometris, gnotravex, gnotski, iagno, gtali, blackjack, same-gnome
Scorched Earth (xscorch)
LinCity (xlincity)

- Multimedia
MPlayer, don't know which version at the moment but it ran great.
Music Player Daemon for audio, compiled with most codecs I believe. I haven't added timidity++ support yet (11/30)
Gimmix and Sonata for hitting up Music Player Daemon.
VLC Media Player, no frontend here either, same as mplayer.
alsamixer, I think it controls the volume.
mpg123, for mp3's while relaxin in the console.
Totem, runs like hell for what I tried but whatever; it's there.

- Messaging
Pidgin Instant Messenger, newest version as of when I installed it
X-Chat, should be updating to the newest version shortly
irssi-svn, svn version of irssi, from Dec. 7th or so.

- Network
Midori, webkit (think mac safari) based lightweight browser
cTorrent, incase for some reason you need to download a torrent.
links-graphical, graphical links
links-text, text based links
lynx, because there wasn't enough broswers already.
Remote Desktop Viewer (vinagre)
x11vnc, for connecting to your screen from your pc
tightvnc's vncviewer for connecting to whatever other pc
wget, for quick file gets
All of your basic network tools and most likely even more-

- System Services
All service scripts are in /etc/init.d, you can typically start, stop, and restart them by issuing the command
(for example) /etc/init.d/xdm stop (this would stop the login manager and gui, ctl-alt-f1 to get a console)
dbus, this does bluetooth stuff, you wanna leave it on or bluetooth will forsake you. It can do other things as well mind you.
distccd, daemon for distributed compiling, useful for installing things, should be off by default
gpm, for console mouse services, I dunno, you may need it, off by default.
hald, this may or may not work, it's for mounting devices on insert (this doesn't work at all with usb hubs)
mpd, music player daemon. It's very lightweight, should be on by default.
pure-ftpd, incase you need to transfer files, it's here for you, should be configured but I don't know, off by default
sensorbar, a service script to turn the sensorbar on/off, no longer used as wminput does the same thing on it's own.
sshd, Secure Shell Daemon, on by default, you know what it does right?
wminput, Scans and handles Wii Remote stuff, automatically turns on sensorbar.
xdm, boots gdm so it can auto login you as bliight, on by default but turn off if you'd like to boot to console.
(this is done for any service by using either rc-update add (or del) (runlevel can be boot, default)

- System Tools
gtk2-theme-switch, for changing the look
fme; Fluxbox Menu Editor
aterm, I couldn't f'in read xterm
gdm, so I can autologin; every other way sucks, seriously.

- Utilities
Mirage, Image viewer
Rox, Lightweight filesystem explorer
gKrellm, system monitor yanno.
gCalc, for all your calculation needs when you.. don't have one nearby?
xvkbd, cause sometimes you need a bigger onscreen keyboard
matchbox-keyboard, for all your keyboardin' needs. Make it more readable, please. I gave up.
xpdf, if you ever need to read a pdf file? I dunno, better to have than not.

- Window Managers
The default one that installs with xorg, Tsomething;
Fluxbox
Screen, I think it does count, yes.

Gentoo isn't really everyone's favorite distro, but it is my favorite distro. Perhaps I can convince you of it's validity as well. If you have trouble installing then stop by #bliight on EFNet and I'll see what I can do for you. Good luck;

-T7g

t7g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be helping with Miight as well when it's released, Bliight is strictly for those who want Gentoo, or for those that want to tinker around with Linux on their Wii as much as possible. I realize not everyone is a Gentoo fan, but with this you can at least try it out without having to do all the dumb hard crap that is associated with installing Gentoo, I've already done it for you.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I'll be helping with Miight as well when it's released, Bliight is strictly for those who want Gentoo, or for those that want to tinker around with Linux on their Wii as much as possible. I realize not everyone is a Gentoo fan, but with this you can at least try it out without having to do all the dumb hard crap that is associated with installing Gentoo, I've already done it for you.
Cool, that's really "Helpful" thanx!

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Good t7g... It takes balls to release another linux distro for the Wii for those who start bitching about Gentoo not being what they like, etc. Myself.. I am probably going to stay with BertJan's for awhile...seeing that I spent so much time trying to get it up and running... and I think it will serve its purpose for what I truely wanted out of my Wii....to stream pc video to my Wii on any TV in the house... I just hope to find software that will work with my usb wifi since there has been no luck with the Wii's intergrated Wifi.. yet I have an ethernet cable that can go anywhere in my house if need be.

Thanks again!

t7g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for Wifi; Internal Wii Wifi support is a kernel issue, we won't see internal Wifi support until BootMii comes out, because of the hackish way that code is run on the Wii. All programs run on it still have to go through the IOS, and Ninty's is very limiting. As soon as wifi support comes out in the kernel I'll include it. If indeed many people are trying to get USB wifi adapters working, I'll do what I can to help, but I don't have one myself (usb wifi, I have usb lan) to actually work on it and do any testing.

DVD/CD reading support has already been discussed and will probably be an option in the near future.

t7g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you can use _some_ external cdroms, but maybe not, I've never had one to test with.

by the way, I took an incredibly crappy quality video of Bliight starting up and doing things that I tossed up on youtube at; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2O6fSj5JUA - for those of you who like videos

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gentoo on Wii?
I. Love. You.
tongue.gif

Gentoo is my third favorite Linux distro.
It goes like:
1. Ubuntu (this could include derivatives or Debian)
2. Arch Linux
3. Gentoo Linux

EDIT: If you want, I might be able to host it on my site.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here we go again!!! Have I landed on another planet??? I'm coming from GENTOO...
And I'm coming for a Distro... a DISTRO....

DISTRO???? If people would ask me what that means I would think it's like a little place where you can have a bite and do a little dance.

*I'm going to the Distro tonight, cause I'm hungry and I need to boogie*

HippyG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. I only have a 1gig sd card right now but will probably pick up a 2gig in the near future.

t7g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I do have linux headers in there (some apps demanded them) but! I do not have the 2.6.27 headers in there, but that would be a simple emerge. Also, the source code to iso's kernel releases can be found on the gc-linux site I believe. I will be getting that right in the future as well as compiling specific kernel modules for the fun stuff that the vanila kernel does not come with. I'm not sure how much it matters and all, but certainly next release I will try to have the isobel kernel sources packed up in a .tar.bz2 in the /usr/src directory for compiling things of that nature. I never personally tried to get any other modules working, I figured I'd get to that when I knew exactly what everyone had available and needed, as for everything else, yeah it can compile a kernel, it can compile a lot of stuff I'd imagine. I had myself a perfectly working cross compiling distcc setup where I was offloading the bulk of the compiling from the wii to my amd64 machine. If you need help getting isobel's source to compile then stop by #bliight on efnet (or open xchat in Bliight) and I'll do my best to help you get it setup on your machine to compile wifi support. (If anyone needs help just stop in, I'm there quite often on and off during the day)

mballer; Well, it does include an internal browser (Midori, links-graphical, links, and links actually), and I do have flash compiled as well, but it's swfdec, not flash9. You can blame Adobe for this, they never released a flash for ppc linux and no efforts exist as of yet that I'm aware of that have done anything to port it over. There is however swfdec (which is installed although not configured to work with Midori, I was running short on time and patience) and another application called gnash that also plays swf files. Someone else asked me that same question earlier and he also happens to be a rather talented coder so when he gives Bliight a try I'll ask him what he thinks is required to get midori to use flash. (It should work for most stuff)

and if you'd like to help distribute blight ATH, by all means, feel free. I'd be very appreciative, 306megs is a hard thing to distribute quickly and easily and I'm far too lazy to setup a torrent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.