Bleach DS 2nd breaks 1Mbit barrier?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hooya, Feb 16, 2007.

Feb 16, 2007
  1. Hooya
    OP

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    OK, so this is weird. I have the Bleach DS 2nd ROM here and I see that it's 128MB, or exactly 1024Mbits, the max size for a ROM.

I load the thing through my EZ Client to put it on my EZ Flash IV. This software usually trims ROMs and so far the largest ROM I've had on there is Lunar Knights, which tips the scales at 122,375KB or 956Mbit after trimming.

Bleach DS 2nd does something weird though. The output file from the ROM is actually LARGER than the ROM: a full 131,520KB or, get this, 1027.5Mbit!!!

So I'm assuming that what happened is that the coders totally filled up the 1024Mbit and when patching the ROM to run on a Slot-2 device the patch actually made the final ROM greater than the maximum size for a ROM.

Obviously since the clean ROM is 1024Mbit, there's no way it's actually larger than that (sort of a limit of physics there) but it's interesting to me to see a ROM larger than the max size. No matter how you slice it, this is the most packed game out right now.

It runs perfectly, by the way.

2. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Well it could also be becuase its a 'hacked' dump.
    WRG have released a redump which may or may not work on slot 2 cards that previously would not run the game.
    We are waiting to see if it will replace the iND release as the actual 'hack' is just a line of code added at the end of the ROM, a tag as it were.
    If this space was blank or dummy code (00's FF's) then I see no reason why the WRG dump should take iNDs place as many ROMs in the past have been tagged in some way or another.

If anyone wants to see if it works on their slot2 the filename is Bleach_2nd_Kokui_Hirameku_Requiem_READ_NFO_JPN_PROPER_NDS-WRG.

[-EDIT-]
    If it does work AND save on your slot 2 please post here so we can fix up the release info on portal.

3. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Original rom: 128 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Trimmed with R4 trimmer: 124 MB (130,915,872 bytes)

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    The 2.58 SC patcher trimmed it to 125megs for me. My largest game is Elite Beat Agents.....128megs with trim enabled.

Can't save in Bleach 2, but I haven't tried the "proper" release yet either.

I have a SCminiSD.

5. Hooya
    OP

United States
    I guess I hadn't head there was a re-dump.

I hadn't tested it when I wrote my OP, but the save doesn't work for me either... I might not have selected the right savetype though. The EZ client defaults to 256, not 512

6. Hooya
    OP

United States
    EBA wasn't quite a full 128 for me. It was something like 126, but I don't have that on my card anymore (kinda got bored with it).

7. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    No, it has not exceeded 128MB barrier yet. I would love to see a game that exceeds it so I can sleep peacefully about Dragon Quest being two carts... gasp!

8. Xellos2099

Member Xellos2099 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well, we used to think snes was only capable of only 24mb game back then. Then it come Chrono trigger which was 32 mb and then tales of phantasia which is 48. So it is quite likely that nintendo will come up with somethign that will break 1mbit berrier.