NULL

blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by StapleButter, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Why are you not taking in account the people who can launch homebrew applications with flashcards? You can release it as a rom, just like the other guy who released his NES emulator.

2. Coto

Coto -

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile

It is something completely up to the dev to choose..

3. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Because the version that is released currently will be changed a bit, or even dramatically, for both SSSPwn users and flashcart users, as the flashcart homebrew is still written with CTRUlib.

So bug/compatability reports would be kinda pointless currently

4. StapleButter
    OP

StapleButter 'New Member' registered since 2009. Fuck yea.

Dec 5, 2009
    France
    Just because I decide to wait for smealum's work, suddenly I don't care about flashcards at all, despite the fact I use one myself?

I take this decision because smealum's work involves libctru updates. As I said, blargSnes's code will have to be updated. Better wait a couple days and have a release that is compatible with that.

Unrelatedly, in the meantime I'm squishing more bugs. DKC works again, at an acceptable speed. Weirdly, it doesn't suffer from the periodic performance hits that plagued it in lolSnes. In general, the performance of the CPU core has less impact on overall performance in blargSnes because a lot of the processing time is taken by the PPU core.

Dartz150, the_randomizer and VinsCool like this.
  5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Pretty sure that's the author's decision to make whether or not he releases one version or the other.

6. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Well, there is a cost of the game required for the ssspwn exploit.

7. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    @ the_randomizer, and why do you try to answer these questions in such a rude way when you dont know more than anyone else?

8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I don't see how that was necessarily rude, but I just don't like seeing others called out for not doing certain things people expect to happen, i.e. calling out the author for not releasing it to the flashcard first, etc. People should respect authors' decisions. Sorry what I said or how I said it rubs you the wrong way.:shy:

Meh, still cheaper either way.:lol:

9. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California

How much of the CPU is being used for the PPU core, if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering how much of an improvement you could get if the GPU were to become unlocked some more so you could transfer graphic-related items to using that instead of being rendered in software.

10. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    Chill out it was just a question, the author had it coming.
    "Speaking about the release: now, I don't know if I should release it now or wait for smealum's stuff. It involves a libctru update and blargSnes will have to be adapted, so well..."
    thats when people started begging for a release now

11. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Hmm, I too am curious as to see what kind of crazy cool improvements we could see with that as the PPU is being implemented. I wish I knew more of the Snes hardware.

12. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California

Me too. I know a lot about the GBA and DS hardware from GBATek, but not for purposes of emulating them.

13. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    That's why my comment was a question... People here tends to go nuts over nothing.

14. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Fair enough, right you are.

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i agree wait until 3ds homebrew is released to release the stuff i guess in the meantime more stuff can be fixed/implemented along the way.

16. Gadorach

Gadorach Electronics Engineering Technologist

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    Argh, I've tried pretty much everything I can think of off the bat, but I can't get this to compile under windows. Is Blarg only compilable under Linux?
    Also, the main errors I get are that the linker can't find -lgcc, and I've tried pretty much everything I can to make it be able to find it, but maybe I'm an idiot, who knows at this point.
    I know it's there, I know it should be able to find it, but it's still telling me to eff-off. Any suggestions?

17. Bond697

Bond697 Dies, died, will die.

Jun 7, 2009
    United States
    CT
    change this:

-L"$(DEVKITARM)/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.1"

to this:

-L"$(DEVKITARM)/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.2"

having the gcc version in the path is a bad idea in general, but that will fix it for now.

Gadorach likes this.
  18. Gadorach

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    Wonderful, worked like a charm, thanks!

19. PhoenixWrightX

PhoenixWrightX GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2014
    United States

I tested it and it likes to freeze the 3DS forcing me to hold power button a lot :(

It's not even official build, so i wouldn't know if the official one will be like it

20. Gadorach

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    Here's what I have to do:

Make sure there is a snes/rom.smc in the BigSD, start app, load rom.
    If no rom is present in the BigSD:/snes/ folder, the app will lock-up your 3DS.
    To exit, eject the GW3DS, as trying to return to the main menu will not work.
    When you eject the card, the console will reboot. Just reinsert the GW3DS and reboot GW-mode to resume normal operation.

As I mentioned in my post earlier, this build is very buggy. You really should wait for the official release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.