Hacking Blackscreen booting any payload after updating accidentally from 8.0

zapzarap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
long story short: Hello, i think i bricked my switch throught accidentally update and hoping to recover it only beeing able to using hekate at the moment.
last few months on fw 8.0 ( or 8.1 not sure). As a cfw i'm using atmosphere, always up to date. Today i downloaded DeadlyPremonition-Origins (i have to admit i downloaded via hbg-Store/tinfoil). After starting the game it asked me to update the console and my finger slipped, so it seems to update but ends in a blackscreen.
i can boot my switch in rcm mode and push payloads, but it just shows a short splashscreen of the used firmware (atmosphere) and then blackscreen. i can successfully boot in hekate and can use the menu/navigate through the menu, but from there i am not able to boot into a cfw or stock-mode. i have already reformatted sdcard an tried fresh atmosphere/reinx - no luck.
Sadly i can not find my nand-backup i had made 1year ago.

So, is there any way to recover my switch, only by using hekate/beeing able to boot into rcm and choosing payloads??

Sry for beeing so stupid, help would be very welcome!

Last edited by zapzarap,
Reactions: melat

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
if you're in 9.0, you're stuck for now.

"My finger slipped"... i thought your sister updated it... you guys should have desktop notifications on from GBATemp for when there's an incoming Nintendo firmware update so you don't accidentally update your Switch.

Are you not reading threads here as well? There's been 3 people who "accidentally" updated and made separate threads being worried that they bricked their Switch. Seems easier to start a thread than to search.

Last edited by altorn,
Reactions: NoNAND

zapzarap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if you're in 9.0, you're stuck for now.

"My finger slipped"... i thought your sister updated it... you guys should have desktop notifications on from GBATemp for when there's an incoming Nintendo firmware update so you don't accidentally update your Switch.

Are you not reading threads here as well? There's been 3 people who "accidentally" updated and made separate threads being worried that they bricked their Switch. Seems easier to start a thread than to search.

To be honest i've searched for like 2minutes. But i panicked in fear to bricked the thing and created a new thread to get an answer asap.
Sry for not searching first. But thx for reply!!

zapzarap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've now managed to boot my switch again.
Luckiliy i've never disabled AutoRCM - otherwise (afaik) i would not have any option the recover the device with the current Version of Atmosphere/ReiNX...

I've reset the firmware to back to v3.0.1 in a long and painful process, following the guide "Upgrading/Downgrading manually with an PC" on switch.homebrew.guide (cannot post url as a new meber here)
(Great tutorial btw!!!)

Now the switch booted to nintendo-logo (great improvement) but ended up in error 2002-4315 - same error booting with atmosphere, reinx & stock 3.0.1.

After a few minutes of frustation, in fear that i have to repeat the whole process explained in the tutorial mentioned above, i booted the switch in recoverymode by pressing VolUp & Down and could perform a factory reset > now i was able the boot back to atmosphere with firmware 3.0.1. Yeah!!
Now i upgraded to 8.1.0 using choidujournx and all is just fine.

As i read a few minutes ago, atmosphere is almost running fully functional on v9.0 - propably i could've waitet a few more days and just update atmosphere the get the switch back running. But the satisfaction when all was running smooth was almost worth the struggle.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yup, most certainly updated to the latest firmware that is 9.0
Sadly, CFW and homebrew support are broken past few 8.10 for the time being, so if you don't have a NAND backup you're out of luck. Moreover you did update through official means implying that the current number of fuses is burned and changed, hence rendering any previous NAND backup that you had made useless.
With everything above said, don't panic or throw the switch out of your window just yet :ha:
Your switch is fine as is, just wait for a while until they distribute the next atmosphere release which hopefully will fix up everything.
Try to be more careful next time :)
take care

Majkusha

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi everyone...i accidentally clicked update,now I dont know what to do. Here is a video of what happens when I try to boot the nintendo switch with the R4S.

zapzarap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone...i accidentally clicked update,now I dont know what to do. Here is a video of what happens when I try to boot the nintendo switch with the R4S.

seems exatly to be what happened to me. 3options:
1 - wait until reinx, atmosphere etc. ... fully supports latest firmware
2 - restore backup (needs autorcm)
3 - downgrade by following the guide i've mentioned above (needs autorcm)

(Please correct me if I am wrong.)

maxpower49

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems exatly to be what happened to me. 3options:
1 - wait until reinx, atmosphere etc. ... fully supports latest firmware
2 - restore backup (needs autorcm)
3 - downgrade by following the guide i've mentioned above (needs autorcm)

(Please correct me if I am wrong.)

I'm another one that had accidentally updated to 9.0 after being jalbroken on 8.x. Now that atmosphere has been updated, what's the method for updating atmosphere and getting jailbroken again?

zapzarap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm another one that had accidentally updated to 9.0 after being jalbroken on 8.x. Now that atmosphere has been updated, what's the method for updating atmosphere and getting jailbroken again?
weel, simply update sdcard-files for atmosphere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1